PDA

View Full Version : Star Sizer question

Sundogg1911
03-28-2007, 10:01 PM
I've been using Star sizers for a while, but never with a bullet smaller than 9mm.
Now I am casting a small magma.32 auto bullet with the master caster and im having one heck of a time sizing/lubing. (I think it's a 78 gr. RN) The bullet is too short to size nose first, so I have the round nose punch to fit it. I have only the top row of holes open. the rest are plugged with shot. I still can not lube without getting lube on the base and in the crimp groove. What am I doing wrong? I am using Magma hard lube, and the heated base. I can size 9mm's fine. It's driving me insane! :(

Orygun
03-29-2007, 09:02 AM
I had the same problem with my Lee .45 200 SWC and it seems to be a happy combintion of the right adjustment of the nose punch and heat. I always size with base down and if I remember correctly, I only use the bottom holes in the die. Other than that????

Sundogg1911
03-29-2007, 09:21 AM
the only holes that it will reach are the top ones. I may try a different lube, or maybe the other Star sizer that I have just to make sure. Im wondering now which lube I used. I have the Magma lube in blue, and about 6 sticks of a different blue hard lube that I got when I bought one of the stars. (It's not as hard as the Magma blue, and doesnt seem to flow as well) I cast about 2500 of them on Saturday, and I hate to think i'll be wiping off each one :-?
Since the bullet is a bb style I cant use the Lyman 450 sizer, or the problem will actually be worse. I've had to do a little more tweaking with the smaller bullets, but with the 9mm's and 380's, once it's dialed in I can size/lube 'em with my eyes closed.
I'll mess with it a little more tonight. I just had to get up and walk away from it last night. :confused:

Springfield
03-29-2007, 11:42 AM
The size of the bullet shouldn't matter, you just aren't getting it lined up with the holes close enough. And why is base first better?

Dale53
03-29-2007, 12:17 PM
I size the GB .32 100 gr Keith and also the .32 120 RF GB on my Star. I size nose first and have few problems. I think you just need to start sizing nose first and then "niggle" with the adjustment of the punch.

Sometimes, these little problems get frustrating... Just hang in there and it will be better in the morning...

Dale53

Sundogg1911
03-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Springfield,
I didn't say base first is better. If I size nose first with the small .308 flat bunch the bullet doesn't go deep enough into the sizing die to reach the holes. :(
Every other bullet that I size with the stars are nose first. i'll try again later tonight. After a few beers I may have much more patience. :drinks:

Springfield
03-29-2007, 04:19 PM
That must be one heck of a short bullet to not reach the first set of holes. What you need to do is to make your punch set up a 2 piece affair. My base stays in the sizer and I have different size punches that screw into that. In your case you could make a longer punch to reach the holes properly. You can adjust thelenght easier with this setup too as only the punch goes into the hole and you aren't limited by the size of the base.

Orygun
03-29-2007, 05:16 PM
You know, now that I think about it, I have removed the die before and guaged/measured the lube holes with the bullet of choice and then re-install to line up the top punch. This may give you a better idea (if) your punch will work and be able to set it "just right".

Aside from that, why is it so popular to lube bullets nose down? I have always lubed base down, but I only do .357, .41 & .45.

Dale53
03-29-2007, 05:42 PM
Sundogg;
I looked at my post again and I should have said "try nose first" (I have changed it to reflect what I meant).

After your last post I realize NOW what your problem is (I think). Your punch is too large to go down into the die to the needed place. You just need to get a smaller flat punch. Ideally, a flat punch for nose first sizing will be just smaller than the die size. From a practical standpoint, I use one punch for several different sizes (but it is slightly smaller than the smallest die I.D. that I use it with).

Dale53

Sundogg1911
03-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Dale53,
Actually the punch is smaller. it measures 308, and goes in till I hit threads. It seems at long as my other flat punches. I have the base heater going now. i'll try again in about a half hour.

garandsrus
03-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Sundogg,

Sounds like you need a longer punch! Time to call Buckshot.

John

Sundogg1911
03-30-2007, 09:22 AM
tried again last night. I think it was getting worse. I'm going to put the sizing die in my other Star that has a different lube tonight. (I was going to do that last night, but it seems to take about 45 minutes for the sizer to warm up enough to size) If I get the same results i'm going to put them in a box and not look at them for a long time. I already have about 500 loaded up for my little NAA Guardian. I don't shoot it too often, but since I sometimes carry the pistol (have to wear dress clotes at the office, and it can be a little difficult to hide a 1911 ) [smilie=1: I do like to take it to the range from time to time. I have a feeling it's the lube that i've been using thats giving me the greif. I got a half dozen sticks or so with the press when I bought it used, and I think that's what I put in there instead of the normal Magma hard lube I uses in the Stars. It's also a blue hard lube, but it is a good bit softer than the Magma lube. I noticed last night that the lube in the other Star is darker, so i'm sure it's the Magma lube. I think the lube that's in there now will be fine in the larger lube groove boolits, like the .44's and .45's so I don't think it will go to waste. If I can't use it for sizing then I have a half dozen sicks of flux :???:

3sixbits
03-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Why the heck don't you call Magma and ask them. Heck it's there equipment, if they don't have the answer I'll be shocked!

TAWILDCATT
03-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Star used to make bullet specific dies.may be thats the problem you need the proper rod.I took care of two Stars at my club as I was the loading room director:Fire: :Fire: :drinks:

dragonrider
03-30-2007, 07:13 PM
I haven't changed the punch in my star in a long time, use it only for 45 rifle, but is not the punch adjustable for length, can you just screw it out a little more so that it goes deeper into the die. Also perhaps adjusting the stroke of the lube pump. Sounds to me like you are getting too much lube.

Sundogg1911
03-31-2007, 04:58 PM
well. switching to the other star seemed to help. It has Magma lube. it seems a little harder. I just get 4 lottle pinhead size balls of lube on the base. i'm not sure why unless its getting through the shot plugged holes. looks a heck of a lot better now though. I cast over 3500 .32 austo with the master caster, so once I finishe lubin' these i'll be done for a while, Athough quite a few people have asked me to cast .32's for them. seems to be a boolit that not a lot of people cast (at least to resell)