PDA

View Full Version : cast my first ingots

Eric H
03-20-2012, 12:29 AM
:bigsmyl2: This is my second post since joining. So I finaly did some casting today. I casted all my Range scrap I have collected into Ingots. I aded about 12 inches of 50/50 solder. I know I heard that here. It was so much fun casting ingots. I cant Imagine how much fun I will Have when I turn them into boolits. Thanks again for all the great advice everyone. there is so much great information here, I could spend days reading. I will start boolits when I get my sizing dies,But for now. I am going to go get some more range scrap. This is a beautiful addiction.[smilie=s:

geargnasher
03-20-2012, 12:47 AM
Yer screwed now, one hit and yer HOOKED! Worse than dope.

Good on you for adding a touch of tin to that range scrap, it doesn't take much and will help it make good boolits and not get so much of what we call "antimony wash" in your barrels. It's not lead deposits per se, it's a fine, grey dusty look to the bore from, we think, brittle antimony crystals rubbing off on the barrel steel. Antimony and tin bind in a lead solution to form an intermetallic element all it's own, and that helps keep the antimony from sloughing off in the barrel.

Gear

stubshaft
03-20-2012, 01:51 AM
"A beautiful addiction" very nice.

Wait until you start drooling over the next group buy, and wait with baited breath over the delivery time.

Abandon hope all ye who enter...Buwaaahaahaa!

Oh, and welcome to the site.

Bullet Caster
03-20-2012, 02:19 AM
Oh well, another one bites the dust. Welcome, Eric H, to Cast Boolits and now you're addicted. There's no turning back once the Silver Genie gets ahold of you. I started with this 23 pound piece of lead I've been toting around most of my married life. Well, last year around October it was turned into over 400 9mm boolits with about the same number of .45 Colt boolits. Turns out it was nearly pure Pb, so I remelted them with some WW and made a whole bunch of .45 ACP boolits as well as some .312 155 grain "skinnies" for the AK-47. I had an idea a long time ago that that big ole hunk of lead would make some nice boolits one day and that came to fruition last fall. Keep at it. Now you've got to get busy and reload and shoot some. That's the rest o' the fun. Have fun and be safe. BC

prs
03-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Time spent rendering scrap into very clean alloy will pay great dividends at boolit casting time. No odor, way less grunge in the dross and the drippy bottom spout disease will be far better controlled. Enjoy!

prs

Eric H
03-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Boys are out for spring break next week. Going to head out to some public shooting areas and do some more collecting. Got about 8 Lb. s of copper jackets out of the last batch. Its a gift that keeps on giving. The copper Jackets are considered dirty number two copper. so a guy should see about 1.00 + per pound. I havnt checked scrap prices lately.

ssnow
03-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Congratulations!!! Isn't there just a manly, Tarzan beating on his chest, "thing" about it?

dragon813gt
03-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Current #2 copper price should be a little above $3 per pound.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-20-2012, 11:25 PM
Hi, My name is Jim & I'm a smelt-a-holic

Eric H
03-21-2012, 06:12 AM
Glad to meet you all, just did some swaping and ended up with about 40 pounds of lead shot 4 lee bullet molds and about 1 k 9mm cast boolits plus about 500 .454 round ball. was going to melt the round ball down but got to looking at it. I think it will be better suited as trading material. The shot and 9 mm I was thinking of melting into something I could use though.