PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Furnace what the heck is it?

madcaster
03-28-2007, 04:14 PM
A friend won it off EBay,it almost looks like a Lyman 61-in a strange sorta way I guess.
NO heating apparatus though-but it is a bottom pour furnace.
Friend is wondering how to melt the lead-methinks a gas torch.:confused:
I saw one on Ebay but it's been a couple of years ago.
Thanks Ya'll,
Jeff.

Dale53
03-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Jeff;
It is difficult to know just exactly which RCBS item you are talking about. Could you show us a picture?

Dale53

44woody
03-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Jeff can you put a picture of it on so we can see what it looks like :castmine: 44Woody

rmb721
03-28-2007, 05:25 PM
RCBS had a bottom pour pot that used a propane torch for heat. I think they still had it in the 1970's and maybe early 1980's.

madcaster
03-28-2007, 08:44 PM
Fellas,I will try to get a picture when I see Ron again.Pretty intresting,but surpassed by today's electric pots...
I am not so great at posting photos,I still haven't done the Cramer #16H on the site benefit thread...

klw
03-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Fellas,I will try to get a picture when I see Ron again.Pretty intresting,but surpassed by today's electric pots...
I am not so great at posting photos,I still haven't done the Cramer #16H on the site benefit thread...

http://www.antiquereloadingtools.org/
has pictures of several of the larger cramers. Those are, I think, 16H's.

PatMarlin
03-30-2007, 12:18 AM
You mean one of these?

It's all I use and it's an awesome pot.

dromia
03-30-2007, 03:00 AM
So how does it work heat wise?

How much alloy does it hold?

PatMarlin
03-30-2007, 12:01 PM
I used a propane nozzle off one of those nozzles you can buy for sweating copper pipe, and clamped it to the stand. Aimed it at the bottom of the pot.

I have a 2 gal propane tank under the bench. It's pretty efficient, and one thing I like is I can lean my molds up againts the pot to pre-heat. I can even turn up he flame and smoke the cavities if I want.

Don't know how much lead it holds.

madcaster
03-30-2007, 12:08 PM
PatMarlin,
That's IT!Thanks!

Sundogg1911
03-30-2007, 01:27 PM
that's the coolest thing i've seen in a long time! What a great idea!
sometimes i use a little single burner colman stove and a small cast pot for preheating alloy. If I use 3 electric pots I pop a breaker :-(

TAWILDCATT
03-30-2007, 03:47 PM
there was a "MERIT" melting pot that fit on a gas stove or such yrs ago.
its interesting as Lyman and Saeco were the same.same as RCBS and LYMAN are now.[smilie=1: :Fire:

PatMarlin
03-30-2007, 05:57 PM
This pot's so old no one at RCBS had seen one.

A gunsmith friend of mine moved his shop from Sacramento to Oregon, and he had that stitting in a box with dusty old stock from who knew when.

It heats lead right to where you want it. I never had to use a thermometer, and have always poured awesome boolits with it. Ain't gonna wear out to soon neither. Maybe in the next 1000 years if you keep the rain off of it.. :mrgreen:

If you guys ever see one, I would snap it up pronto... :drinks:

Ron
03-31-2007, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the photo Pat it reminded me that I had something like it in the shed. Had a look and found it. Yep, an RCBS bottom pour pot looking the worst for wear with a fine coating of rust. A friend gave it to me years ago when he gave away casting. I haven't used it, kept it just as a curio of the casting hobby. Photo attached.

Sundogg1911
04-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Hey Ron,
PM me and Let me know if ya want'sta let that go. It may be a fun projecy for my glass bead cabinet :-D and I think those old pots are pretty cool. especiall when i'm already running 2 electric pots on one circuit. 3 would be pressing my luck

Ron
04-02-2007, 12:20 AM
G'day Sundogg1911,
Sorry mate, I am going to hang onto it. Now that I have resurected it I may use it in combo with my lee pot. Anyway the cost of freight from Oz to PA would be prohibitive I would think.:drinks: :drinks:

grumpy one
04-02-2007, 01:21 AM
I've seen a picture of one of those pots with a small propane torch (the kind directly attached to a small gas bottle) pointing at it. Can't remember where I saw it, but I think it was an official RCBS picture. Most likely Floodgate already has a framed copy.

It should be indestructible by the look of it - a multi-generation item, and just what we'll all be coveting when the greens shut down the national electricity grid. Anyone got a pedal-powered computer?

PatMarlin
04-02-2007, 02:34 AM
It should be indestructible by the look of it - a multi-generation item, and just what we'll all be coveting when the greens shut down the national electricity grid. Anyone got a pedal-powered computer?

I'm all solar but no pedal power as yet.. :mrgreen: Thing is now I've got to get an electric pot for backup when the propane dissappears.

When I was over in Cambodia, those guys had a foot pump bellows blowing off a tank that held gas or diesel fuel, that pumped vapor up to a torch. A thatch bamboo hut Ruby Jeweler was making his jewelry with it. That would be cool for a dooms day flame for my RCBS lead pot.

I shoulda brought one of those home with me.. :mrgreen:

floodgate
04-02-2007, 11:52 AM
grumpy:

Nope; I'm not stocked up on much RCBS "paper", though much of my reloading gear is green. I think Merit and Potter also made gas-heated or stove-top pots of this type back in the '40's, but this RCBS one was new to me.

floodgate

shooter575
04-02-2007, 10:29 PM
I seem to recall seeing or hearing [CRS] about a lead pot that would fit into a wood cook stove.Just remove a lid and drop in.Cook your dinner and make boolets at the same time

floodgate
04-03-2007, 12:02 AM
shooter:

That goes 'way back into the 1890's. Ideal came up with the little cast-iron pot (they still make it, or did until recently) and egg-shaped dipper, used with a stepped flange with a hole in the center the pot base fitted into and the steps would fit the various standard woodstove lid openings. Here (if "shrinkpicture" works as advertised) is a copy from an old leaflet packed with the early, fixed-block Ideal moulds:

floodgate

scrapcan
04-03-2007, 12:36 AM
If anyone has one of the RCBS pots i would also be interested in purchasing or trades. I have wanted one for a long time, an friend has one that he will not part with. I think a person could fashion an oil burner and could use all kinds of stuff to heat the melt. Even some stuff that would not be to horrible to be around.

Sundogg1911
04-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Ron,
But that would be a great excuse for me to go for a nice vacation :-)

Ron
04-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Come on down, i'll meet you at the airport!!!