PDA

View Full Version : More on the Ruger Front Sight Problem

nighthunter
06-29-2005, 07:56 PM
I got the JB Weld applied and hardened to build up the front sight height. Got it all shaped with a small file and took it to the range today. I got it to point of aim at 25 yards with only 3 shots and felt really good about it. The JB Weld held up really fine for about 35 shots then kinda disappeared somewhere. When I got home I did some investigating at the Ruger web site. The 7 1/2 inch and 5 1/2 inch Super BlackHawks are supposed to use the same identical front sights. I did some measuring on both my 7 1/2 and 5 1/2 inch guns and the front sight on the 5 1/2 inch barrel is 40 thousands lower than the 7 1/2 barrel. I called Ruger and they said to send it in and they will take care of it if it is wrong. I should have done the comparison before this. The old hind sight thing I guess.

fecmech
06-29-2005, 08:26 PM
Sorry about the bad advice nighthunter, I guess I must be lucky that mine is still holding on. It worked so good for me I thought it was a great quick fix. Nick

nighthunter
06-29-2005, 08:36 PM
No problem Fecmech. It was fun trying to fix it myself. Maybe on a lighter recoiling revolver it mighta held up. The lady at Ruger asked what ammo I was using and I told her reloads I got the old try some factory ammo thing. I told her I had 13 other Ruger firearms and none of them had ever seen a factory round she kinda changed her tune. Its been a good learning experience. Gotta roll with the punches.