PDA

View Full Version : Lead Ring??

Schony
03-19-2012, 10:41 AM
So I am working on a 9mm load and am having some issues. I am sizing to 358 and a OAL of 1.025 for my BHP. This is as sort as I can go and have them load properly with the bullet I am using (LEE 356 RN). The problem is I get failure to feed (slide not locking), I eject the bullet and notice a ring of lead around the bullet at the case mouth. I don't think it's from reloading, I inspect the bullets b4 loading the mag and no ring then I'll get a failure and the slide won't lock, pop out the bullet and there is a ring. I am wondering if I need to be sizing to 357? I know I need to slug my barrell... Has anyone ever seen this? I can pull the ring off with my finger and it'll load fine and shoot fine. Then a few rounds later it'll happen again.

Thanks!

LUBEDUDE
03-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Sounds like your Boolits are oversized. You're actually swaging them in your bore and that ring is what is left behind.

If you are not going to slug your bore, then try .357 or .356 . All or my nines shoot .356 without leading issues, two of which are BHP's.

Good Luck

243winxb
03-19-2012, 10:51 AM
U need to be sizing to 356

ku4hx
03-19-2012, 10:59 AM
So I am working on a 9mm load and am having some issues. I am sizing to 358 and a OAL of 1.025 for my BHP. This is as sort as I can go and have them load properly with the bullet I am using (LEE 356 RN). The problem is I get failure to feed (slide not locking), I eject the bullet and notice a ring of lead around the bullet at the case mouth. I don't think it's from reloading, I inspect the bullets b4 loading the mag and no ring then I'll get a failure and the slide won't lock, pop out the bullet and there is a ring. I am wondering if I need to be sizing to 357? I know I need to slug my barrell... Has anyone ever seen this? I can pull the ring off with my finger and it'll load fine and shoot fine. Then a few rounds later it'll happen again.

Thanks!

My BHP likes a COAL of 1.125" and an as-cast diameter of .358" for that boolit as do my Glocks both OEM and Lone Wolf barrels. I'd suggest you use your barrel (out of the gun) as a Go/No-Go gauge. You COLA needs to be such that your bullets don't impinge on the rifling and your loaded case neck diameter needs to be such it doesn't cause the round to stick. I set mine to .380".

Rounds need to drop into the chamber with a noticeable "ka-plunk" and fall freely out when the barrel is inverted.

Schony
03-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Thanks guy's thats what I was thinking... I have a 357 sizing die so I'll try that and see how it is. I did have the barrel out when i came up with my length. If they where any longer they would hit the rifling and not fall out or spinn freely. I'll also check my neck diameter I put a slight crimp on them enought to remove the bell but haven't measured it. If I can't get these RN's to work out I am going to try a TC bullet.

popper
03-19-2012, 11:22 AM
Sometimes the ring is from shaving while seating and is HARD to see. Either way, slug the bore and size appropriately.