PDA

View Full Version : Will the price of guns ever go down?

Jamesconn
03-19-2012, 08:50 AM
There are guns I want that are expensive. I'm still going to get the cheaper ones first, but should I wait for better prices or should I just "bite the bullet"

Reload3006
03-19-2012, 08:59 AM
I seriously doubt that the prices of a lot of things will ever go down as our government has devalued our currency by printing so much of it. The price may drop some as demand decreases but the days of a 39.00 Mosin Nagant are long past and I fear never to return.

btroj
03-19-2012, 09:08 AM
Does the price of anything go down?
Expensive is relative. Save up to get what you want. Study up and make sure what you buy is what you need.

Sasquatch-1
03-19-2012, 09:14 AM
There are guns I want that are expensive. I'm still going to get the cheaper ones first, but should I wait for better prices or should I just "bite the bullet"

I doubt you will ever see any serious drop in the price as "Reload3006" said. An example is an old 303 Enfield I paid $75.00 for back in the eighties now sells between $200 & $300. Actually saw one guy asking $400. I paid $175 for my Super Blackhawk, easily in the $400 and up bracket.

No I don't think you should wait. And before you buy make sure you are buying something that is of good quality, not just cheap. Even if it means putting it off for a bit longer.

geargnasher
03-19-2012, 09:21 AM
22 years ago I worked part time after school in the banquet dept. of a local hotel for $3.85/hr and bought gas for $1.29/gallon. I paid $75 for a mint Swedish Mauser from a local sporting goods store, and that was overpriced at the time. Two bucks would still buy a pack of camels and a 16-ounce Dr. Pepper at most convenience stores. Today that same hotel is paying $10/hr for the same starting wage, you know the rest (except for the price of cigarettes, hopefully). It's all relative.

Gear

Sasquatch-1
03-19-2012, 09:29 AM
22 years ago I worked part time after school in the banquet dept. of a local hotel for $3.85/hr and bought gas for $1.29/gallon. I paid $75 for a mint Swedish Mauser from a local sporting goods store, and that was overpriced at the time. Two bucks would still buy a pack of camels and a 16-ounce Dr. Pepper at most convenience stores. Today that same hotel is paying $10/hr for the same starting wage, you know the rest (except for the price of cigarettes, hopefully). It's all relative.

Gear

Funny. Back when I was in school a pack of cigaretts were $.30 to $.35 and a gallon of Sunoco 260 was $.32 I think. Luckily I don't smoke so I don't worry about cigarets but I am paying about 12 or 13 times as much for gas. :groner:

Freightman
03-19-2012, 09:36 AM
I bought a Mauser out of a barrel in '61 for $10 my choice sounds cheap right, wrong as I was making $0.75 per hour at the time, so guns are just as cheap as then. At the time there was no ammo for the 8mm you had to cut down 06 cases or ream it out to 8/06.

GRUMPA
03-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Will the price EVER go down, in a nutshell NO. When ever I was having a hard time deciding between more than 1 I would always get the most expensive one first. Generally after doing an awful lot of research.

MT Gianni
03-19-2012, 09:37 AM
In 1971 gasoline was only 32 cants a gallon but the minimum wage was 70 cents an hour. It's all relative.

Harter66
03-19-2012, 09:46 AM
When SAA Colts were $16 ea a vetrans widow pension was $23 yr.

In 65' an oz of silver was a dollar its about $32 now. A Model 12 in great shape was $65 you don't find too many of them less than $400 . A model 70 brand new was around 80, its just a grand now. See they're cheaper than they've ever been

KCSO
03-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Yes as soon as the price of GOLD goes down. Since we have MONEY that is worth nothing but what the government say it is durable good will keep costing whatever the sellers feel they need to get. In 1890 you could buy a Colt pistol for a $20 gold piece or less and you still can today. But since your dollar has been inflated so much over the years it will cost you 1200 of those inflated backed by nothing dollars to buy what a $20 gold piece will buy.

But the situation isn't all bleak as you work less for your MONEY today that ever before. In 1890 you worked on a farm or ranch 12 hours a day or more for $30 a MONTH. So in 1890 it took moost of a MONTHS wage to buy yout Colt and today if you earn $30,000 a year you can buy the Colt for less work (money). What you can't do is buy your Colt and DVD's and a TV and a Car and a... You need to put your ducks in a row and decide what is realy important.

ilcop22
03-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Firearms are a good investment if you buy collectables and keep them in good shape. This is because the price never goes down. Only way to go is up!

jcwit
03-19-2012, 10:19 AM
I bought a Mauser out of a barrel in '61 for $10 my choice sounds cheap right, wrong as I was making $0.75 per hour at the time, so guns are just as cheap as then.

And in todays that Mauser would cost $76.14. Working for $ .75 cents an hour came out to $120.00 a month at 40 hours a week. Man I made more than that with my Army pay. And more than that working part time evenings while stationed in D.C.

jcwit
03-19-2012, 10:27 AM
In 1971 gasoline was only 32 cants a gallon but the minimum wage was 70 cents an hour. It's all relative.

In my entire life I never worked for min. wage, and I never was unemployed either.

I remember buying gas for $ .18 cents per gal in the latter 50's using this

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

it should cost $1.42 today.

felix
03-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Interesting! Look at the static beginning date the calculator uses! Wonder why? Makes perfect dollars and cents to anyone in the know. Ron Paul, for example. ... felix

jcwit
03-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Who knows, gotta start somewhere.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Interesting! Look at the static beginning date the calculator uses! Wonder why? Makes perfect dollars and cents to anyone in the know. Ron Paul, for example. ... felix

because it is the date the Fed started , and money became just paper

jcwit
03-19-2012, 11:56 AM
The U.S. left the gold standard on Aug. 15, 1971, thereby leaving us with paper.

See also

http://seekingalpha.com/article/237033-when-did-the-fed-start-printing-money-out-of-thin-air

376Steyr
03-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Buy the best working guns you can afford now, even if it hurts. Priced in hours of labor or ounces of gold, good guns are probably more affordable now than they ever have been, and maybe ever will be. "Collector" guns for "investment" are a different matter, good luck if you decide to dabble in that area.

1Shirt
03-19-2012, 12:18 PM
They are a good investment, but often times hard, very hard to turn over at a profitable price.
1Shirt!:coffee:

starmac
03-19-2012, 12:21 PM
The price of guns have never went down in my lifetime, in fact they have been a better investment than a savings account for the most part as long as you don't buy junk.

You can still find some amazing deals on emergency sales though, if you have the cash when they come available.

Boz330
03-19-2012, 12:33 PM

I'm pretty sure it was higher than that. I believe it was about $1.75 in the early 60s. That is what I started my first full time job at in 64'. In HS I started at $.50 an hour but the minimum wage didn't apply to teenagers then. And was pretty glad to have the job. Army pay in 66" was $90.50 per month to start. Buck Sgt when I got out was $211 a month.

In 71' & 72' we could still get gas around here for $.239.

Bob

blackthorn
03-19-2012, 12:41 PM
I know this is not easy to do but my advice is to start saving (in a special account) a little each payday. As you build a reserve, start looking for quality used firearms. Get involved in the local shooting club and talk to the folks there. Often there will be an older shooter who may have a quality gun just sitting, gathering dust that he/she will sell you at a reasonable price, especially if they know it will go to someone who will use (and not just sell) it. Haunt yard sales and watch for any indication there may be guns around, i.e. an old wood gun rack etc. I once picked up an 8mm Mauser with an almost full box of ammo for $8.00 (thats right eight dollars) because I said to the guy "I see your gun rack. where's the gun?"

blackthorn
03-19-2012, 12:57 PM
jcwit---I am struck by the parallels between your life experiences and mine. I was born in Jan. 1939 in Winnepeg Manitoba and was raised on a farm. I was adopted at eight months and I got the best deal ever with respect to parents. We never had much money but we always had lots to eat.

starmac
03-19-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm pretty sure it was higher than that. I believe it was about $1.75 in the early 60s. That is what I started my first full time job at in 64'. In HS I started at $.50 an hour but the minimum wage didn't apply to teenagers then. And was pretty glad to have the job. Army pay in 66" was $90.50 per month to start. Buck Sgt when I got out was $211 a month.

Bob

The only minimum wage job I ever had was in about 72 or early 73, and it was 1.00 an hour. We could get gas during the gas wars up until 73 for 19.9 in the houston area.

41 mag fan
03-19-2012, 01:32 PM
They'll never lower prices, unless you got Wal mart involved. As long as they keep raising minimum wage, and don't put caps in place like in oil prices or gold, nothing will go down.
But whatever the gov't does then theres a whole backlash that creates hardships for all but the wealthiest.
As the world population grows, so will supply and demand, which will drive up prices, just like corporate greed.
Makes me sick how things have changed on economic views, quality manufacturing, and gov't involvement over the last 3-4 decades

Tazman1602
03-19-2012, 01:59 PM
In short...............NO, prices rarely come down once they go up. There are still deals to be had if you are looking --- VERY VERY rarely in the gun market but it does happen.

My wife who's also my best friend and hunting/gunsmith partner found one two weeks ago. Nothing special, nothing fancy but a darn nice shooter.

We were at a local gunshow and out of all the black rifles, high end stuff, etc I was floored by the price of Mausers and especially '96 Swedes. In 1995 I was buying those by the case from Century, shortening the barrels, restocking, forging bolt handles and drilling/tapping for scope bases and selling them in the $250-$500 range depending on if it had a scope mounted or not, brand of scope etc.

...........I was paying $70 a piece for numbers matching quality Swedes and buying by the dozen. Cheapest I saw at the gunshow was a Model 96 numbers matching for $400. Unbelievable.

Then I saw an oldie I liked. An old P14 Enfield (I think.....) that had a BEAUTIFUL job of having the ears milled off and an older Weaver 4X on it. Guy wanted $250 for it. Too much I replied, I've got a few Enfields. He replied "Ya but how many ya got with the ears milled off nice like that?" I told him I had a mill and could do that myself if I wanted to -- good naturedly of course. I then walked away and looked at some other tables.

.............wife stayed there to talk -- she likes old guys (Thank GOD.....) and about ten minutes later walked up like the cat who ate the Canary. I just said "oh boy, what's going on?"

She looked at me and smiled that little smile she's got and said "A hundred seventy five Art". I replied what for? She said she was talking with the old guy and got the story on the rifle, talked for a bit and he told her for her he would sell it for $175 -- bore was MINT and the sporterizing job wasn't bad, I just need to strip the garbage off the stock and refinish it. I also asked her just WHAT she showed that old guy to get him down so far...................

THEN she looked at me and said "Please buy me that rifle HONEY". Needless to say it's in the safe now all cleaned up but the funny thing is I believe that to be a good deal for that rifle whereas 10 years ago I would have thought it was WAY overpriced.

THAT is where you can actually make some money if you choose to sell a gun -- something I never, ever do without making a profit on it, and a substantial one if I like the gun and don't really want to sell it.

Point in fact I have the first handgun I bought (that one is now wifey's too....) in 1979 when I turned 21 at a local shop. I paid $179 for it, Smith and Wesson model 10 .38 special. I wouldn't even *think* about selling that now.

James just keep your list and keep looking, and if you feel something is overpriced WALK AWAY, just gotta hunt for those deals but you have to be careful to not get shafted too....

Art

Ickisrulz
03-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Prices in the AR market place did come down compared to where they were after the last presidental election. Depending on where things start heading politically, you may see them go back up. This is because many see "back guns" as the first target of increased gun control. So...buy some stripped lower receivers and standard capacity magazines. They may become very valuable (or not).

Love Life
03-19-2012, 02:38 PM
+1 on just about everything said. I have a list I keep in my wallet of guns I am looking for.

I also carry a straw for when I see a must have and need to suck it up and pay the price. :kidding:

MT Gianni
03-19-2012, 03:33 PM

Bob

The sign @ the grocery store I was at said minimum wage was $0.60. Your State may have had a higher minimum than Federal.

stubshaft
03-19-2012, 03:56 PM
My way of thinking is that I had better get it now because it aint going to get cheaper.

koehn,jim
03-19-2012, 06:24 PM
My advice for what its worth is buy the guns you like and can afford to shoot. Some are easier to load for than others and more fun. As others have said buy the best quality you can, the better condition will last a long time. I have never considered them an investment because I own them to use. Shooting will decrease a collectables value and if you break a part it really goes down. Enjoy them thats the best investment.

longhorn
03-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Federal minimum wage 1970 $1.60 per hour (non-farm)-but I was making only $1.42/hr working for the TP&WD as a part-time high schooler--I think the state was exempt from paying the fed minimum for part-timers.

flounderman
03-19-2012, 07:48 PM
you can have about anything that you desire. you can't have everything, you desire. you need to decide what your priorities are. I learned to build stocks and later some metal work and somewhere crossed the fine line between hobby and obsession. I built what I couldn't afford to buy. check out the pawn shops and get to know the people. you will find more deals there than at a gun show. watch the muzzle to see if it is worn shiney. if it is, it probably has been riding muzzle down in a truck, got dirt in it that sanded the bore when it was shot and probably don't shoot that good. you can take an inch or so off a barrel like that and crown it and it will probably shoot ok. never pay asking price in a pawn shop.

gbrown
03-19-2012, 08:07 PM
I'm probably in the minority here, but guns are still a good buy. My benchmark is the used Colt Commander in .45 I bought in 1976 for $200.00. That gun is selling for $900.00-$1000.00 around here. That is a 500%. In my opinion, new guns are reasonable. Older guns or high dollar guns (Glocks, Sigs, etc.) are kinda high, but still a good buy. As older guns go into collections, price goes up as scarcity goes up. I remember Italian Carcano 6.5 mm going for $15.00 at the old G.I. Surplus stores. Remember, though, if you can, Coca-Cola was 10 cents for a 12 ounce bottle.

Blacksmith
03-20-2012, 12:31 AM
Coca-Cola was 5 cents in the 6 oz bottles. If the government keeps running the money printing presses you will wish you bought your guns last week. Buy quality and it will last, buy cheap and you'll buy it twice.

Sasquatch-1
03-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Looks like this is going to turn into a political debate again. All the kid ask, basically, is should he buy cheap now or save his money and buy quality. IMHO

Reload3006
03-20-2012, 10:53 AM
since you are young and have the most of your life ahead of you instead of behind you like most of us crusty old codgers. Some free advice Buy yourself a cheap functional rifle ... that would still be a lot of money for a kid these days. then save up for really high quality guns if that is what you want to spend your money on later. That way you won't be sitting on the outside looking in when it comes time for hunting and shooting.
I guess as far as money matters are concerned Earn it Save some, Spend Some , Give some to the lord and you will have a healthy productive life.

Love Life
03-20-2012, 12:18 PM
since you are young and have the most of your life ahead of you instead of behind you like most of us crusty old codgers. Some free advice Buy yourself a cheap functional rifle ... that would still be a lot of money for a kid these days. then save up for really high quality guns if that is what you want to spend your money on later. That way you won't be sitting on the outside looking in when it comes time for hunting and shooting.
I guess as far as money matters are concerned Earn it Save some, Spend Some , Give some to the lord and you will have a healthy productive life.

+1.

I say reload3006 has a great idea. Also see if layaway programs are available. that is how I fund most of my firearms.

fatelk
03-20-2012, 12:55 PM
My advice for what its worth is buy the guns you like and can afford to shoot.
Good advice.

I think "personal buying power" means as much or more than inflation. For example, a dozen years ago I was making more money than I am now, was still single and could buy whatever I wanted. Now I have a wife, three kids and a mortgage. $100 of disposable income now is more to me than $500 was back then. I'm glad I bought a few nice things back then instead of blowing it on stuff that doesn't hold it's value. I guess my advice would just be to buy what you want when you can.

should he buy cheap now or save his money and buy quality.
Save your money and buy what you want. I think a lot of folks tend to get wrapped up in getting the best deal possible, and if you're looking at is from a business perspective for buying and selling, that makes sense. I have in times past bought something I didn't really want just because it's a good deal, but now I just save up and buy only what I want. If I have to pay a little more it's not a big deal. It's just money. It's always humorous to me the guys that haggle to the last penny over something, then go drop $50 on dinner on the way home.:)

Added: +1 for Reload3006!

Geraldo
03-20-2012, 01:13 PM
But the situation isn't all bleak as you work less for your MONEY today that ever before. In 1890 you worked on a farm or ranch 12 hours a day or more for $30 a MONTH. So in 1890 it took moost of a MONTHS wage to buy yout Colt and today if you earn $30,000 a year you can buy the Colt for less work (money). What you can't do is buy your Colt and DVD's and a TV and a Car and a... You need to put your ducks in a row and decide what is realy important.

Very true. When I was a firefighter I worked a 48 hour week. The first captain I worked for had been hired in the '50s when they worked a 72 hour week. When the department started in the early 1900s, the schedule was to come in to work, get one hour off each day and one full day off per month, roughly 156 hours per week.

fatelk
03-20-2012, 01:15 PM
I just re-read your original question. To answer that; no I doubt nice guns in general will be going down in cost anytime soon. Just don't buy in a panic. AR15 rifles were at an artificial high a couple years ago due to panic, and from what I understand are back to more reasonable levels now.

You can also beat some of the high costs of new guns by watching and waiting for an affordable cost on a used one. The best thing to do there is to be patient, educate yourself on exactly what you want, what to look for on a used one, what to avoid, then just save your dollars and be ready to buy it when you find what you're looking for.

sthwestvictoria
03-20-2012, 04:51 PM
This article on the model 1894 gives a comparison to price in gold when released and at the time of the article.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_209934f68ed9a4bbb7.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=4513)

Compared to this a Winchester 1894 is cheaper now than when released or in 1955 - today spot gold around $US1660 and cabellas lists a new 1894 sportsman at $US1399.

Certainly some people would suggest gold is in a bubble however due to all the worldwide excitement.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-22-2012, 01:24 PM
guns should cost less than ever , and as pointed out they do in terms of gold value

but think now that 1 mold can be used to make a million polymer frames , slides can be machine cast and machined , barrels cut and machined in one cnc machine , we have the equipment and technology to turn out guns that are so precisely machined that parts can be assembled with almost no fitting.

think about it if Hi Point can offer a gun for 150 dollars that weighs more and has more parts than many other guns of the same caliber , then in theory a different design like a glock with very few parts should also be able to be manufactured for nearly the same price

if a pump shotgun with it's 7 pounds of steel , and wood can be made for 275 why is do pocket pistols start at the same price , some of it is just pricing to what the market will pay part of why we see so many hand guns in the 300 to 450 range

it doesn't really cost more in manufacturing to turn out a 9mm polymer frame pistol than it does to build a 870 shotgun, some of price is perceived liability, maybe some actual liability, selling to what the market will pay . and profit

we are also getting out of the box rifles that shoot MOA or better for 300 dollars , that is certainly a value at the lack of worth of our fiat currency , thats not much more than a 2 week grocery shopping trip. or what i paid for my last pig

we also get guns like the ruger p95 that while aren't all that flashy are a dependable gun that have been tested to 20,000+ rounds of p+ ammo for just over 300 that is also a solid value

Char-Gar
03-22-2012, 01:48 PM
If you buy a gun that at least ten people beside you want, and you pay no more than fair market value, the price will not go down.

If you buy new guns, there will always be a slump to the used price after you bought it. But hold on to it long enough and it will rise to the price of new and often times much higher.

I have been buying, selling and trading guns for 55 years, and have never lost a penny.

Certaindeaf
03-22-2012, 03:25 PM
You could always wait and find out. That was a joke.

gbrown
03-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Jamesconn--Why don't you share with us what particular guns you want to buy? With the knowledge base of this forum, they can give you the pros and cons of whether its a good investment or not. Also, I make my rounds about once a month to certain Pawn Shops. I have walked off with some steals. High dollar guns that no one wanted, but they wanted to move. The art of negotiation.[smilie=w: I have 3 that I paid $100 to $200 under current price.

Slam'n Salmon
03-22-2012, 08:22 PM
The value of land and luxury items could go down.

Oops land is going down.

As the demand for guns goes down, "I only need one gun to kill things" The price could go down.

When all the silly people realize every thing other than a 30-30 in a levergun isn't so dang collectable. The price could go down.

Things are only "collectable " if people see an increased demand for something in short supply.

SO... Be careful in what you keep or buy. That 30-30 will be worth a lot more than a 356 win when you go to buy a box of shells for deer season.

subsonic
03-22-2012, 10:04 PM
It's cheaper to buy what you want the first time, rather than "settle" for something now and then buy what you really wanted later.

Buy once, Cry once.

Unless legislation makes all guns worthless, they will not go down in price. The dollars may not be worth as much, but the guns will be worth more of them.

I'm half tempted to cash out my 401k and buy *good* guns with it. I suspect they will be worth more than my 401k when I retire. Plus I can shoot them![smilie=w:[smilie=w:

starmac
03-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Except for a used muzzle loader I bought last year, every one I own would double my money even at a pawn shop.

These guns are nothing special, they are used and look it, but I have owned most of them for quite a while, I take that back, I have a 44 black hawk that would probably only break even at a pawn shop.
Buy what you want and even if you buy it new, it will eventually be worth more than you gave for it.

Jamesconn
03-23-2012, 10:56 AM
I want a mossberg 590A1, saiga 12ga, M1A, M1 Garand, a couple mosin nagants, savage 110 w/ accu trigger, Anzio ironworks .50bmg rifle, the judge special defender, RIA 1911, Phoenix arms hp22a for trappin, probably the full sized 45acp glock just because of hi cap mags, maybe AK-47, browning 1919A4 with all the conversion kits, browning M3 50bmg ( crank-fire systems for both Brownings and slide fire for the saiga and AK

It's quite a list not that interested in pistols ATM

Any roccomendations would be helpful.

TNFrank
03-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Some guns have gone sky high in recent years. I think of S&W revolvers, I remember that not too long ago you could get a good one for $250-$300 all day long. Now folks are asking $400-$600 for em' and I just don't see it.
They say "If you want quality you've got to pay for it." well, I like quality alright but I just don't see $600 bucks worth of it in a S&W revolver, my limit is $350, if I can find one for that then I'll just do without.
Same for semis, my "high end" price for any semi-auto handgun is $500. I've bought the last two Beretta handguns that I've owned for $400 each(92F Compact and a PX4 Storm 40cal) and I recently bought my current semi(ATI 1911a1 Commander clone) for $450 and that included a nice holster and 3 Stainless Steel Colt factor 8 round mags. so really I have about $375 into the actual gun.
I think if you set your price and shop around you still can find a deal out there but you've got to do your homework and know what things are really worth.

Love Life
03-23-2012, 11:10 AM
I want a mossberg 590A1, saiga 12ga, M1A, M1 Garand, a couple mosin nagants, savage 110 w/ accu trigger, Anzio ironworks .50bmg rifle, the judge special defender, RIA 1911, Phoenix arms hp22a for trappin, probably the full sized 45acp glock just because of hi cap mags, maybe AK-47, browning 1919A4 with all the conversion kits, browning M3 50bmg ( crank-fire systems for both Brownings and slide fire for the saiga and AK

Win the lottery :kidding:

Prioritize what you want by how bad you want it and price. The big 50's are going to cost not only for the rifles, but the brass and bullets are expensive as well. Remember you have to feed the beasts.

In this day in age I would pick up a good mosin and and AK-47 and get a mess load of ammo. Once I did that then I would move to other guns on your list. I say this because the Mosins and AK-47s can still be had cheap (relatively speaking) and the ammo is also relatively cheap. This allows you to practice more.

On the handguns list I would take the glock first due to the fact they are cheap and reliable. Also I just love glocks, but I digress.

I would also stay away from the slide fire systems. While they are fun, they are a tremendous waste of ammunition. Unless you can shoot ACCURATELY (human sized target) with a full 30 round burst then you are just wasting ammo. Practice in semi-auto until you can squeeze off a double tap/triple tap almost as fast as a auto can.

Ultimately it is up to you though.

Jamesconn
03-23-2012, 11:44 AM
I just wanted the slide fire for the ability for full auto fire I know it's a waste of ammo

Love Life
03-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Well there you go. It always boils down to what YOU want.

Start saving your pennies and soon (once again relatively speaking) you'll have what you want.

Let me know when you get a rifle. I have a mess of brass around I can send your way.

Jamesconn
03-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks will do

Idaho Sharpshooter
03-23-2012, 12:52 PM
If Ayatollah obama is reelected, the price will go up 30% by Christmas. If a Republican is elected, prices will drop.

Sasquatch-1
03-23-2012, 10:26 PM

I would say go to college, get a degree in something that is useful and needed, get a very good paying job. Some of those beast you put on that list are in the 10 to 20,000 dollar a piece range. A gun shop in my area has a couple of the M1A1/m14 semiauto, I think they were in the 2700 dollar range. Another had a M-14 full auto $25,000, that's not a mistake, $25,000. I think a Garand can still be had for under a thousand.

I guess it's like the old saying, "If you're going to dream, dream big."

The other solution, don't get tied up with girls and live at home.:bigsmyl2:

kenyerian
03-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Buy them now. 10 years from now today's prices will seem cheap. For example my Dad bought a brand new winchester model 37 12 guage in the 30's for 5 bucks. Not only did it hold it's vaule it will still get the job done today. I bought a Ruger single six 22 lr in late 60's and I'm pretty sure it was under a $100. Still have it today . It still works great and has thousands of rounds ran threw it.

starmac
03-24-2012, 12:03 AM
In 78, I bought a new 10/22 for 69.95, A new interarms 44 mag for 175.00 with a box of shells, and a like new 44 mag ruger carbine for 100. I still have and shoot the 10/22 and the interarms, and wish I had kept the ruger carbine as the price of those now are crazy.

Blacksmith
03-24-2012, 01:17 AM
Jamesconn
The best place to shop for a M1 Garand is the Civilian Marksmanship Program. The CMP sell Garands to US citizens over 18 if you can meet the requirements at prices that are less than the open market for the same condition. Here is a link to their sales page:
http://www.thecmp.org/sales.htm

You can also learn a lot about Garands and other Milsurp guns from reading their Forums sort of like here but the people arn't as nice. Here is a link to that section:
http://forums.thecmp.org/

There is a lot of good information on the CMP website including shooting instruction (Check for articles in ON The Mark), coaching tips from the Army Marksmanship Unit, Aromers tips, shooting clubs, competition information, etc. Spend some time clicking links and exploring.

They have Garands for from $525.00 for a field grade shooter to one on their auction that is currently over $8,000.00 for a rare collector grade WW II gun that was never issued and a lot in between.

starmac
03-24-2012, 03:00 PM
I would never tell someone what they should do, but I would start with the ones that would get the most use, or the ones I had an actual need for.
Out of your list, the ones that would fit my needs for a firearm is also the cheapest on your list(except the phoenix pistol) The savage or the mosin either would be a good start and actually do everything a guy had to do.
If finances allowed I would go for the savage in a caliber that would fit my needs, and maybe even an extra barrel for it, if I really needed two calibers.
The rest of your wish list could come as finances allow, an may very well change as you get older.

shooterg
03-24-2012, 03:16 PM
I HOPE the price of guns doesn't go down - otherwise my wife will be hurting at the auction she's having after she scatters my ashes !!

30cal
03-24-2012, 03:51 PM
The real question is will the dollar ever get strong again.Most people look at things as getting more expensive but it is the opposite,the dollar is getting weaker along with every other thing the government puts their grubs on.Like Steyr said,get what you can now.

Jamesconn
03-24-2012, 08:30 PM
I'm going to start with a mosin nagant and a H&R single shot then as finances allow I'll get a savage in 30-06 and another barrel for .308 cause there's more milsurp then the mossberg and a couple barrels for that and different sights and such and that's probably going to be my workin guns I am going to carry the governor for CCW and get the 1911 for the truck.

starmac
03-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Sounds like a plan, I made do with one rifle, one shotgun, one 22 rifle and one handgun for a lot of years and never even realized I needed more, as they had all my bases covered.

You will find over the years that you will run into deals you can't pass up, some folks resell them and clear a few bucks, I generally keep them, unless it is something I don't like or someone comes up with a trade I like better.

Certaindeaf
03-24-2012, 10:51 PM
It's surprising what what can make do with. But who don't like gravy?

nanuk
03-24-2012, 11:45 PM
I
http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

that calculator gives the wrong output

gbrown
03-24-2012, 11:48 PM
There you go, bud. As Love Life and others have said, priortize, budget and go for it. Listen to the voices here--years & years of experience. Learn, do and pass it on. Remember those that come after you, and pay honor to those who were before you.

Sasquatch-1
03-25-2012, 08:10 AM
Sounds like a plan, I made do with one rifle, one shotgun, one 22 rifle and one handgun for a lot of years and never even realized I needed more, as they had all my bases covered.

You will find over the years that you will run into deals you can't pass up, some folks resell them and clear a few bucks, I generally keep them, unless it is something I don't like or someone comes up with a trade I like better.

As I remember it, the first gun I bought was a Remington Nylon 66 in Apache Black with the chrome barrel. The second was a Marlin 1894 in 44. Still have the Remington and wish I had never got rid of the 1894.

I guess this just means make sure you like the first ones you buy. Sighing and remenissing fondly. :rolleyes:

jcwit
03-25-2012, 11:39 AM
that calculator gives the wrong output

It does? And what do you base this statement on?[smilie=s:

Are you privy to some other info?:popcorn:

Love Life
03-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Sounds like a great choice. I made do with a ruger 10/22 and an old M48 Yugo 8mm mauser for years.

shdwlkr
03-25-2012, 12:38 PM
I have purchased firearms over the decades that now I could not even afford. I have a few rifles that I paid very little for just a short few years ago that today are out of my price range.

So the bottom line is if you can afford to buy a firearm today buy it as tomorrow it just might be way to expensive to even think about.

Another issue is if this country is suckered into the small arms nato treaty this summer having firearms of any kind just might be something we can say once we had them.

canyon-ghost
03-25-2012, 12:39 PM
James, there's a whole lot of re-evaluating that goes on when you own the gun and shoot it at a range. Personally, I like the Mosins but, wonder about the thin reciever and firing that high performance round. Not sure I want to do that repeatedly. But, it'd be fun to work with. I'm always up for experimenting.

Know a guy that sold a 45 acp Glock, said it kicked too hard for him. It's all what a guy wants to do himself that counts. Some people poo-poo my single shots but, they can't beat the accuracy.

This entire discussion sure makes a 22lr look good! Several hours just shooting with no money draining out, that's a good thing!

jk2008
03-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Some of the posts in this thread have mentioned how wages and prices have changed within the posters' lifetimes. In general, the value (i.e., buying power) of the dollar has eroded over time due to inflation. You can see just how the dollar's value has fluctuated by going to:

http://oregonstate.edu/cla/polisci/sites/default/files/faculty-research/sahr/inflation-conversion/pdf/cv2011.pdf

Robert Sahr of Oregon State University has been tracking the value of the dollar for over a decade. His web site (http://oregonstate.edu/cla/polisci/sahr/sahr) has a lot more information on the topic and he explains his sources and his methods for calculation (if you're interested in that level of detail).

gbrown
03-25-2012, 04:42 PM
I also agree with canyon-ghost. There are as many different types of preferences in shooting at the range or while hunting as anything else. I have a few .22's and love to shoot them. I also love to shoot bigger calibers in both handguns and rifles. My favorite hunting rifle is a little Thompson Contender carbine in 30/30. Easy to handle, carry, get in and out of a blind and quite accurate for S.E. TX hunting--wouldn't work in other situations with bigger game/longer shots. There are a lot of guns that I have been offered at good prices that I passed on because they weren't "my cup of tea." Get what you want--may take a while, but don't settle for cheaper stuff.