PDA

View Full Version : CARE Package Discussion

bowfin
03-18-2012, 01:14 PM
This subject is important to me, so after a little hissy fit last night, it is time to put my ego behind a pursue this thread in a less emotionally charged venue.

First off, I am not looking to get stuff or money to send overseas in CARE packages. I ma looking to get and give information on how to send CARE packages over to troops.

Contrary to popular belief, troops aren't always issued everything they need. Things like multi-tools, a good quality pocket knife, lens cleaning supplies for glasses, goggles, and scopes, or items in your home handyman drawer or tool box.

A soldier I know in Aghanistan is waiting for a washboard (left his last one in country for the follow on troops after his first tour) and a big box of Baby wipes to use as a showesr in a box.

As most of us know, the Large Flat Rate shipping box is the best way to go. I have seen these boxes filled so tightly that it took two people to hold it in a relatively rectangular shape so the taping guy could get it shut.

The best tip I can pass on to all interested is don't forget the custom forms, one for each CARE package. Every item has to be listed with quantity and weight. A pocket knife is a "hand tool", and nothing is ever pork, by the way. Make sure to add each item as it goes into the box, as one doesn't want to have to reopen it.

One problem with the troops is that many have a hard time coming right out and saying "I really want or need such and such." Older troops are better at saying exactly what they want, as in my earlier post about Twizzlers. I "traded" a new Leatherman Wave to a soldier's mom for a $5.99 Chinese multi-tool that she was getting readt to send over.

I also would love to hear from everybody here on the things I don't know about. M-16 care and repair items? I know that one SAW machine gun served on with green electrical tape holding a pin in place.

I can vouch for these:

1. Individual drink packets, Gatorade being a favorite.
2. Electrical tape
3. A good quality multi tool
4. A sturdy pocket knife with an indestructible clip.
5. Baby wipes
6. Multi-tool
7. Needle noed pliers
8. Lens cleaning brush, lens cleaning liquid, and lens cleaning papers or cloths.
9. Batteries: Someone somewhere needs whatever size you send
10. Tweezers
11. Toothbrushes: Their old one can be demoted to a cleaning brush
12. Jerky, sausage, beef sticks, any meat snack that is stable at room temperature.

TELL US WHAT YOU KNOW AS A SENDER OR RECIPIENT!

More to follow, it is time for lunch.

Love Life
03-18-2012, 01:17 PM
Fat snacks. Things like chef boyardee, ramen noodles, etc. Helps break the monotony of MREs.

hiram
03-18-2012, 01:59 PM
towels, toilet paper, socks, sun glasses, keychain size led flashlights

Love Life
03-18-2012, 02:08 PM
I haven't sent a care package in a long tome. Bowfin, do you have a person that is in need of a care package? I have collected quite a bit of items over the years that may be helpful.

A great thing to send are those little headlamps.

bowfin
03-18-2012, 03:57 PM
See now. I have heard headlamps twice, and I dismissed the idea because I erroneously thought they get issued something like that. Good to know!

I have one paratrooper, one Marine, and two other soldiers on my "to do" list. I must confess I don't know a lot of these young people, I just put ou the word that I do CARE packages through our Tea Party group or on my own. One reason I do CARE packages is that I like to shop, or as my brothers tell me, I shop like I'm somebody's bored trophy wife. I'm at the stage of my existence that I don't need much more for myself, but a trip through a grocery store, dollar store, or hardware store to match up bargains with a CARE package is fun for me.

runfiverun
03-18-2012, 04:44 PM
batteries.
our government is going with the old russian theory of they fight better when they are looking out for themselves.
well give em guns,ammo [well some],and uniforms.

Hamish
03-18-2012, 04:58 PM
I'm up for a name and an APO by PM if someone has a need. It's been awhile for me, too, I'm ashamed to say. Otherwise I'm headed here:

http://www.anysoldier.com/WhereToSend/

We have also sent boxes through:

http://operationshoebox.com/

jcwit
03-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Do they still use flea collors around their ancles as they did in Iraq?

Love Life
03-18-2012, 07:30 PM
Don't forget old gun magazines, other magazines, and books. Helps take the mind off of the every day grind.

plmitch
03-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Do they still use flea collors around their ancles as they did in Iraq?

I ship off alot of them

plmitch
03-18-2012, 07:48 PM
These are the most requested items that we send. We use a MFRB and pack it tight.

Baby wipes
Antibacterial gel
Powdered drink mix (individual)
Chocolate
Beef jerky/Slim Jims
Good razors
Frebreze items
Toothpaste (travel size)
Ziploc bags(any size)
Canned meat
Cigarettes

Love Life
03-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Throw in some smokeless tobacco to.

clintsfolly
03-18-2012, 08:02 PM
hard candies are a big hit to!! Clint

Longwood
03-18-2012, 08:06 PM
Throw in some smokeless tobacco to.

They are taking enough chances.
I don't think I will promote mouth and tongue cancer.
I have seen what it does to people.
More gruesome than many battle wounds.
I would send marijuana before I sent any thing made from tobacco.

nicholst55
03-18-2012, 08:10 PM
FWIW, tobacco CAN NOT (legally) be mailed in any form.

Don't forget:
hand lotion
sun screen
chapstick/lip balm
hard candy
gum

Love Life
03-18-2012, 08:25 PM
Well I'll be. Many a carton of smokes and logs of chew were mailed to me and my buddies. Never knew it was illegal. Learn something new everyday.

gandydancer
03-18-2012, 08:51 PM
must get off my fat lazy butt and help out with this.

jcwit
03-18-2012, 09:43 PM
FWIW, tobacco CAN NOT (legally) be mailed in any form.

Not True, scroll down to section 11.0

http://pe.usps.com/Archive/HTML/DMMArchive20111107/601.htm

DIRT Farmer
03-18-2012, 11:26 PM
A few of us are old enough to remember being issued smokes. I know the guys I sent Cope to appreacated it. I'ts not like we are asking our warriors to live completely risk free.

nicholst55
03-19-2012, 04:48 AM
Not True, scroll down to section 11.0

http://pe.usps.com/Archive/HTML/DMMArchive20111107/601.htm

Okay, I stand corrected. Tobacco can be mailed to APOs and FPOs, but not within CONUS.

Now, how about the restrictions on "infernal machines" in 8.5.d?

Jeffrey
03-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Any truth to "silly string" being used to reveal trip wires?

ErikO
03-19-2012, 10:37 AM
It's been a while since I've done this as well...need to get some Easter Baskets together. Thanks for the ideas.

I can only imagine that Hoppes #9 would be welcomed as well, right? Maybe some Remoil pads.

I know I have a ton of old magazines that I've read a few times already that can be sent.

But yeah, I'll be sending a mix of personal toiletries and canned food (and a few spare p-38's in case the guys in the field lost their 'zipper pulls'. ;) )

bullshot
03-19-2012, 04:04 PM
Individual Microwave popcorn packets
Peanut Butter
Granola Bars
Q tips
The popcorn packets can be crammed into any voids in the box. Be surprised how many can be stuffed into an already full box. It also is good trading fodder to get something needed.

Firebricker
03-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Smokey Mountain Knife Works had a buy a knife for a soldier program hope it's still running. You pick out a knife from a list buy it at their cost and they send it to soldier. I thought it was a great idea we did one every time we were their. FB

troy_mclure
03-21-2012, 03:19 PM
I never ever used flea collars or powder, or knew anybody that did. They were always thrown away.

What I liked to get:

Jerkey
Easy cheese
Fancy crackers
Oreos
Hand warmers(winter)
Those cold pack things you put in the freezer(summer).
Any card or small games, and puzzles.
Books
Dvd's
Magazines(heck we had a fight over cat fancy! Lol)
Any kind of cheap small toys.
Slingshots
Ninja stars
Darts
Air freshener

bowfin
03-22-2012, 10:44 PM
We are sending a washboard to the paratrooper. He's that far back in the boonies. Here is the only place I know that makes washing boards for actual clothes washing, and that is the Columbus Washboard Co.

They have a special deal for the troops:

http://carbolicsoapusa.com/troop-donation-p-1510.html

Anyhow, the moral of the story is to ask first. Obviously, this paratrooper won't be using Xbox games or microwaveable foods, and those stationed at Bagram won't need a washboard.

bowfin
03-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Well, we had six military people to send CARE packages, and we had enough stuff to fill a Large Flat Rate box for each one so full that it took two people to tape them shut. We then filled a second box for everybody who was "out in the boonies" and still had stuff left over to give to one Mom whose son is a team leader, in order to make a "team" CARE package.

para45lda
03-27-2012, 11:46 PM
You guys are awesome. My nephew is over there right now. All he asked for the last time was some Copenhagen. Kids today.

Wes

Artful
03-28-2012, 12:12 AM
Any truth to "silly string" being used to reveal trip wires?

I once had a request for that, and canned air?

alamogunr
03-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Good thread! Our church has sent packages to the husband of a member. The mistake we(I) made was using a too big box. If you have a lot of stuff, break it down.

The lists posted here contain several items we were unaware of. That will be corrected next time.

Separate from the church boxes, I sent a box full of gun magazines. They apparently like those a lot.

bowfin
03-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Separate from the church boxes, I sent a box full of gun magazines. They apparently like those a lot.

They will be read and passed on to the point that they fall apart. I think I will send a CARE package that is nothing but magazines. to the guys out beyond the Internet.

troy_mclure
03-29-2012, 11:07 AM
As I said in my previous post, any magazine is great! We got a shipment from a guys hometown library that was all 3 month old mag subscriptions. It was a hit.

Arisaka99
03-30-2012, 08:51 AM
I really like this idea guys, we should do a "Cast Boolits CARE Package Program". If every member sends something, we can outfit a whole bunch of our soldiers with things they want and need.

RugerFan
03-31-2012, 07:48 AM
I am at FOB Salerno, Afghanistan till June. I don’t need anything personally (My wife sends me what I need), but I can distribute care packages to soldiers here. I can even post pics of troops with the goodies. PM me if interested.

Rockydog
03-31-2012, 08:09 AM
On another board we collected enough $$ to order and ship 20 "High Quality" 9mm S&W magazines to outfit a squad. They were having continual jamming from the sand and wear on their mags. We bought Mec-Gar mags. They were ecstatic. Left them behind for their replacements when they left. RD