PDA

View Full Version : Mystery powder

BulletFactory
03-18-2012, 11:45 AM
I know some of you are already hiding under your desks reaching for the kevlar and safety glasses but..

I have been saving powder from pulled bullets for quite a long time, and its starting to build up. When I changed from the XD to the M&P I needed bullets. The ones for the XD didnt work in the M&P, so I pulled 1200 of them. Now I have over a pound of mixed powder, mostly WST and Unique, but theres a good bit of HS-6 in there too.

Could I start off light, and increase the load until it stopped smoking the mouth of the cases, and make use of this powder?

SlippShodd
03-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Um, no.
With an unknown mix you could virtually never come up with a consistent burn, and as you pointed out, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near you when you torched off the first test round. Pour a thin trail of your mix on the ground for a couple feet and light one end with a propane torch at arm's length. Watching it burn will give you a good idea of what I'm talking about. I'm also not condoning searching for a known mix of powders.
Lots of guys recommend spreading pulled powder on the lawn and garden as fertilizer.
I use it as 4th of July powder trails leading up to the fuses of other fireworks. Our tank wars are awesome.

Wayne Smith
03-18-2012, 12:14 PM
Don't even think about it. In the current situation you will never know if you are creating a bomb or an under powered round. Fertilizer it is.

ku4hx
03-18-2012, 12:15 PM
I know some of you are already hiding under your desks reaching for the kevlar and safety glasses but..

I have been saving powder from pulled bullets for quite a long time, and its starting to build up. When I changed from the XD to the M&P I needed bullets. The ones for the XD didnt work in the M&P, so I pulled 1200 of them. Now I have over a pound of mixed powder, mostly WST and Unique, but theres a good bit of HS-6 in there too.

Could I start off light, and increase the load until it stopped smoking the mouth of the cases, and make use of this powder?

Makes great lawn fertilizer. Every other application is hazardous to one degree or another.

DrNick
03-18-2012, 12:20 PM
I have to agree.....why risk your safety to save, what, 20 bucks? Makes no sense to me.

miestro_jerry
03-18-2012, 12:42 PM
I would put that witches brew of pounds in my compost pile. To even consider using it is show of great ignorance, which many of at one time or another have been afflicted with.

Jerry

BulletFactory
03-18-2012, 12:56 PM
ok good enough.

10mmShooter
03-18-2012, 06:01 PM
just say no to the chemistry experiment