PDA

View Full Version : New to casting

WVHunter129
03-17-2012, 11:00 PM
Been about a month now since I got into casting. A friend at work that use to be a DNR Conservation Officer and shot in competitions gave me his reloading and casting setup. I got a Lyman 6 turret press, LEE 10 lb melting pot, Saeco 4-cavity 38/357 - 148 gr WC mould and a Saeco luber/sizer press. I have acquired a few used wheel weights and smelted them down and ended up with 9 and 1/2 pounds of lead ingots. I have already casted 720 WC's. I bought a LEE 38/357 RN 2-cavity mound and a 9MM RN mould. I also purchased a LEE .356 sizer die and Alox for the 9MM.

My biggest problem now is getting a supply of used wheel weights. No one locally has any or says they send them back to their suppliers.

You will probably see more posts from me in the future.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

HangFireW8
03-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Welcome aboard!

Lead supply is always an issue when you get started. Once you get the word out among family and friends, things start happening. Co-Workers bring lead to me now, from single wheel weights to big hunks of roof sheeting. Hang in there, you'll find more as you go along, just don't be afraid to ask.

WVHunter129
03-18-2012, 01:03 AM
Welcome aboard!

Lead supply is always an issue when you get started. Once you get the word out among family and friends, things start happening. Co-Workers bring lead to me now, from single wheel weights to big hunks of roof sheeting. Hang in there, you'll find more as you go along, just don't be afraid to ask.

Thanks HangFireW8 for the welcome. That is what I have been doing, telling friends, co-workers and family while still pounding the streets to see if I can find a supply.

I did have one guy ask if I could use babott for casting bullets. Well being new to this I wasn't sure. Also, I was told about some lead sheets that are used in coal processing preparation plants. Don't know what the lead is used for, but unsure whether you can use that or not. So far I am interested in the wheel weights, other lead will be down the line once I learn more. I know for black powder you have to use pure lead (soft) for the bullets.

Again thanks for the welcome.

HangFireW8
03-18-2012, 01:12 AM
Yes, grab that babbit! You'll want to mix it in with softer lead for some really nice alloys. Go for those lead sheets as well. You could mix it with something to harden it a bit, like... babbit!

HF

monge
03-18-2012, 07:09 AM
I am new to casting to lead has been a problem for me to. I have bought some lino from ebay for about 2bucks a lb shipped.this site has venders that sell reclaimed lead for reasonable prices . This site has greAT Info and helpful people!
Good luck casting Joe

41 mag fan
03-18-2012, 07:54 AM
Go with the vendors and sellers on here. They sell it at a very reasonable and affordable price.
Plus you're helping and supporting a fellow member(s) of this forum.

mooman76
03-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks HangFireW8 for the welcome. That is what I have been doing, telling friends, co-workers and family while still pounding the streets to see if I can find a supply.

I did have one guy ask if I could use babott for casting bullets. Well being new to this I wasn't sure. Also, I was told about some lead sheets that are used in coal processing preparation plants. Don't know what the lead is used for, but unsure whether you can use that or not. So far I am interested in the wheel weights, other lead will be down the line once I learn more. I know for black powder you have to use pure lead (soft) for the bullets.

Again thanks for the welcome.

Don't turn down any lead whether you think you can use it or not. Most ll lead can be used in some way or made to be used or traded to someone that can. Like hangfire said. Put the word out, sometimes the sources that pop up surprise you or lead to other sources. You can mix WWs with soft lead 50/50 for pistols to stretch your supply and adding that babbit will help too.

WVHunter129
03-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks monge and 41 mag fan for the information. I will check out the vendors on here and support them. I have already made an order for the thermometer that one vender has. Was the best deal around.

I will try to get my hands on that babbit HangFireW8. Thanks for letting me know that it could be used. I will try and see what lead I can come up with so at least I have some on hand. I may get into casting bullets for my muzzleloader and I know that has to be softer than smokeless powder bullets.

Again thanks for any and all information you wish to share with me.

I just created an album with pictures of some of the bullets I have made thus far.

WVHunter129
03-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks mooman76. I will make sure I get the word out...fella looking for lead!! :) All types!!

canyon-ghost
03-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Also, I was told about some lead sheets that are used in coal processing preparation plants

Pure soft lead most often is in sheets, you can alloy up a lot of lead with those. I have some x-ray sheeting from a hospital remodeling job. It's good to find lead!

Lead sheeting is used as soundproofing and x-ray applications, you can roll it up, flatten with a hammer and melt it down easily. And, if you alloy the babbit with the soft, you have more bullet alloy!

mdi
03-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Don't turn down any lead whether you think you can use it or not. Most ll lead can be used in some way or made to be used or traded to someone that can. Like hangfire said. Put the word out, sometimes the sources that pop up surprise you or lead to other sources. You can mix WWs with soft lead 50/50 for pistols to stretch your supply and adding that babbit will help too.
Yep, tak all lead you can get. The only lead I know of to avoid is battery lead...

blackthorn
03-18-2012, 12:17 PM
Welcome to the asylum! Spend some (lots of) time reading the posts and especially the "stickies" at the head of each sub-forum. Most of your questions will be answered.

AnnieOakley
03-18-2012, 12:51 PM
My husband works underground in the western KY coal field, what are the lead sheets for?

WVHunter129
03-18-2012, 01:20 PM
AnnieOakley that is what I don't know. I know they are used in coal prep plants where they process the coal for shipping but I don't know what they are used for. I was hoping someone here may of know. I guess the next time I talk to one of the engineers from one of the coal companies I see almost everyday at work I will have to ask.

rp85
03-18-2012, 03:19 PM
hello;

just a suggestion, worked on my 5th stop. big chain tire stores is a hopeless cause, but small tire stores?!?!?

know this works; one case of cold bud light (in the bottle) = 1 gal bucket (125 pounds) of wheel weights. have the tire man come to truck (car) and ask if he is willing to trade a case of cold bud light for wheel weights, plus, you will do all the work to fill your bucket!

by the way, i don't drink, gives me a massive head ache.

rp

HangFireW8
03-18-2012, 09:32 PM
My husband works underground in the western KY coal field, what are the lead sheets for?

If the coal dust is heated with microwaves for water removal, the lead sheets are used for radiation sheilding.

Ionizing radiation (X-Rays) are used to sort soft from hard coal, again, lead sheets are used for sheilding.

HF