PDA

View Full Version : Custom 9mm molds

sig2009
03-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Are there any manufacturers of custom 9mm molds on this forum that actually have any 9mm 4,5 or 6 cavity molds in stock? Looks like everyone is on vacation.

sig2009
03-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Let's start cranking out production on those 9mm molds. People are waiting to buy! Now might be the ideal time to take on some extra help to get them manufactured.

MtGun44
03-17-2012, 08:49 PM
You are missing out on the definition of "Custom" - it means made to your order. If it were
a production mold, they would be made to a standard design and stocked in quantity.

Most of the custom guys are small businesses and cannot afford to have thousands of
dollars tied up in molds that may never sell.

Sorry, but what you want is not likely to happen. Lyman, Lee and RCBS are the main
production mold makers, so you are stuck with them if you can't wait for a custom maker
to make it for you.

Bill

sig2009
03-18-2012, 04:54 PM
You are missing out on the definition of "Custom" - it means made to your order. If it were
a production mold, they would be made to a standard design and stocked in quantity.

Most of the custom guys are small businesses and cannot afford to have thousands of
dollars tied up in molds that may never sell.

Sorry, but what you want is not likely to happen. Lyman, Lee and RCBS are the main
production mold makers, so you are stuck with them if you can't wait for a custom maker
to make it for you.

Bill

So what you are telling me is that MiHec,MP,Accurate,NOE don't make 9mm molds for casting bullets?

MT Gianni
03-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Yes they do . NOE is around a 11 month wait for a new mold run. They just finished a 135 gr 9mm. MiHec is running at full speed for group orders. I am not familiar enough with MP but Accurate has a 2-3 week wait. You order what they have available and it is made for you when your turn comes around.

Grandpas50AE
03-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Check out the many threads on here concerning Accurate Molds, and you will find out that the service is superb, most often his advertised 2 - 3 week delivery time is longer than it has actually taken for many folks to order and receive a mold. I ordered an Accurate Mold (not part of any group buy) on a Saturday morning and it was in my mailbox the following Saturday, and it was for a design that was not in his catalog when I first contacted him (the day before I placed my order). Many have had a similar experience, and I will tell you that these are superb molds worth every penny I paid for it and then some.
Also, you can contact Miha Prevec (Mihec here on this site) and see if he has some left over from a recent group buy run, which he often does. My two most recent molds are MP molds in brass, 4cav with HP pins, that I got as left overs from a group buy run he had just completed. Both of these makers make works of art, and for a very reasonable price in my opinion. I only knew the casting world through the mass production makers until I found this web site, and since that time I have discovered these custom makers.....I think, no, I know, that I am now hopelessly spoiled rotten, and have become the victim of my own desires.

noylj
03-18-2012, 10:07 PM
If you want a custom mold, the quickest and easiest would seem to be Lee. You can design your own...

Slowpoke
03-18-2012, 10:37 PM
If you want a custom mold the quickest and best as far as I am concerned is Tom at Accurate Molds.

I have showed him what I wanted and in less than 10 days I was casting with it. Twice

Outstanding Quality

Good luck

MtGun44
03-19-2012, 01:05 AM
"So what you are telling me is that MiHec,MP,Accurate,NOE don't make 9mm molds for casting bullets? "
How could you possibly construe that from what I said? Obviously, they all make 9mm
molds for casting boolits.

All of them make CUSTOM molds. You order it, THEN they make it. Simple economics of
small, specialty business like this. "Custom" is, by definition, not the same as "production",
think of what the term "custom" actually means. I think it is good that we
are trustworthy enough that it is not necessary to pay in advance.

Of course, most of these makers have more requests for their molds than they
can fill immediately, so there is a waiting list. First come, first served.

Occasionally, they make a few extras or someone backs out and you can get one of those,
but these are happy accidents, not part of the business plan. If there were too many
of people not purchasing after ordering, I would guess that pre-pay would have to be
implimented.

Pick out a maker and get in line with everyone else or order a production mold from Lyman,
RCBS or Lee. Of course, shorter lines are always preferred, just like at the checkout line.

Bill

oldandslow
03-19-2012, 06:29 AM
Sig, 3/19/12

Another satisfied customer of Accurate Molds here. The first mold I ordered, a .45 five banger Aluminum mold was at my door six days after I ordered it. The second, a 9mm five cavity mold took about two weeks. The third was lost by the USPS and after five weeks Accurate made me another one and it was at my door in a week. Tom and Larry at Accurate molds do a great job and usually at a much quicker pace than I expect.

best wishes- oldandslow