PDA

View Full Version : Boolit Bench space

georgewxxx
03-27-2007, 01:41 PM
So you think you have a problem with bench space?

I do my casting now while it's still cool has lost me a bunch of work bench. I made up a supply of 35 cal bullets from 5 different moulds reciently. I'm in the process of making 200 35 Whelen's out of some Remington 30-06 cases, and noticed while trying to place finished product out of the way, even my elbow's don't room. The bench is getting a bit swayback from carrying well over over a half ton of finished boolits...Geo

danski26
03-27-2007, 01:56 PM
Great googly moogly! Thats a lot of boolits!

jhalcott
03-27-2007, 02:06 PM
I've got to show THIS to my wife! She THINKS my table is crowded,HAH!

LAH
03-27-2007, 03:21 PM
George that's a bunch of weight on the bench. Give me you process for making 35 Whelen brass..........Creeker

georgewxxx
03-27-2007, 04:18 PM
LAH,

I use untrimed once fired cases, because they shorten about .025 after running through the Whelen sizing die. They end up still a bit short. After one firing they'll be perfect. I just dab a little lube around the inside if the neck and run 'em through the sizer. Seems almost too simple. I used to dip the necks in powdered graphite, but that seemed like a waste of time. I lost about 6 while making the 200. I can see that some of the mouths aren't quite square. You don't want to shorten them any more than they already are. I intend on anealing after trueing them up a bit. If you aneal before triming, the brass is almost too soft and the mouth's show damage from the cutter. ...Geo

Bigjohn
03-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Better get in a Structural Engineer to give you the word as to whether that bench is about to collapse.[smilie=1:

If it did, we would have to declare a disaster zone and send in the Rescue Teams to help you sort through the rubble and find all of the trapped Boolits. :-D

It could be worse, you may place too much on the bench top and have NO room to work in at all. :)

Here is hoping you manage to get it all squared away before any disaster occurs.

:drinks:
John.

Sundogg1911
03-27-2007, 07:45 PM
I pile a Sh*&load of cast bullet boxes on the shelfs onder my Star sizers.
That bench doesnt budge at all while sizing! [smilie=1:
If it ever does i'm gonna lose a few toes! :roll:

Uncle Grinch
03-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Looks like Heaven to me!!

joatmon
03-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Now you do know it's O K to shoot them don't you?

Buckshot
03-28-2007, 01:33 AM
Now you do know it's O K to shoot them don't you?

...........joatmon, ya know, it could be that after the casting of'em and they look so nice and shiney and all, it'd almost be like shooting away one of the kids. :-)

.............Buckshot

LAH
03-28-2007, 08:50 AM
...........joatmon, ya know, it could be that after the casting of'em and they look so nice and shiney and all, it'd almost be like shooting away one of the kids. :-)

.............Buckshot

Proof that casting can be a sickness. HEE HEE...........Creeker

45 2.1
03-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Yours looks clean compared to mine. Mine are built from 3" thick bridge decking along with shelves underneath to support anything that is put on them, and they are full of cans, boxes, etc. of boolits and anything else that will stay there. :mrgreen:

georgewxxx
03-28-2007, 11:03 AM
I've always kept enough boolits on hand to load at least 200rds of whatever. Some that I know I'll use more of, up to 500 or more are cast and kept ready to do their stuff. Those itty biddy .22's don't take near as much room as the 50 cals. When we get more of our Casting Fellows articles posted, you'll see that some of us have way too many boolit moulds...but love every one. I've got 13 different .22's to chose from, and about the same for my 50-70's.

Buckshot was right in his description of how some guys feel about their handy-work. Especially when you have a stubborn mould that needs a technique all it's own to produce those little purdy devils. You know how much time and effort you put into making them. I can't imagine making a living doing this. I'd be eating beans and hot-dogs morning noon and night....Geo

Cherokee
03-28-2007, 01:12 PM
I built a lot of shelves in the basement to store the reserve supply so the bench can be clear, so it can be cluttered with brass in the process of becoming ammo.