PDA

View Full Version : ??Cleaning between shots ??

catkiller45
03-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Now that I am getting the hang of this cartridge shooting and testing
I think a lot of my accuracy problems are from my cleaning tech,

I am wipeing with a spit patch and then runniong a cotton ball and
then another cotton ball.....With the idea the cotton balls are drying
the bore..Then my next shot will be good..Doing the same cleaning
process again causes the next shot to be off...

Does anyone have a real good mythod that they are using to wipe
in between shots that is working good? If so I would like to hear
about it if you don't mind sharing....Thank you..[smilie=b:

jbrower
03-16-2012, 11:21 PM
If you're gonna run a patch/cottonball through the bore, you might as well make it squeaky-clean. Otherwise, use a blow tube to soften-up the fouling. Take a couple of "fouling" shots first, using the blow tube in-between. The rest of your shots should settle-in and be close to eachother.

.22-10-45
03-16-2012, 11:31 PM
Hello, catkiller45. Working with original Ballard in .25-25 Stevens, using 3FG Swiss. Ideal 25720 lubed with SPG. "grease cookie" on top of drop tubed charge...two 1/32" dental wax wads with 1/16" SPG sandwiched between. running 1 barely damp patch thru each shot...leaving bore as patch left it.
This year, I am going to expand on my du-plexing experiments..I tried 1.0gr. SR PB next primer, with black powder on top. This really shined up bore!..still had to run patch thru for best accuracy...However, this time, I could use a dry one. Going to increase smokeless maybe 1 to 2grs more & see if I can eliminate patching altogether.

catkiller45
03-17-2012, 06:58 AM
If you're gonna run a patch/cottonball through the bore, you might as well make it squeaky-clean. Otherwise, use a blow tube to soften-up the fouling. Take a couple of "fouling" shots first, using the blow tube in-between. The rest of your shots should settle-in and be close to eachother.

I tried that befor and it doesn't seem to help me in the least..Now I did find I can blow tube and then run a patch and that isn;t too bad.....I nned to work on consistensy

shovel80
03-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Maybe you could just try blowtubing only between shots, some people have success with that..

Terry

excess650
03-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Maybe you could just try blowtubing only between shots, some people have success with that..

Terry

With a good lube, balanced load, and a blowtube you should be able to shoot until the barrel gets too warm(moisture from blowtube dries out too fast). With Swiss BP this may be more difficult as Swiss burns hotter and puts more heat into the barrel. With Goex, Schuetzen and Diamondback it shouldn't be a problem.

With a cratridge prone to fouling, there may be no better option than wiping between shots.

Gunlaker
03-17-2012, 11:57 AM
i've been doing this:

Push one wet patch through the bore.
Push another wet patch through the bore but not out te muzzle, then pull back to the chamber and the forward out the muzzle.
Follow with one dry patch.

This seems to work pretty well for me.

Chris.

catkiller45
03-17-2012, 12:21 PM
well try that Chris...Thanks

Kenny Wasserburger
03-18-2012, 10:40 AM
2 wet patches (riced) with 1-7 water soluble Oil, 2 dry, This if for paper patching ONLY, and in cool temps, as it warms up, go to 3 wet 2 dry.

For Grease groove bullets one wet only, dry chamber with mop.

The Above, worked well at Phoenix. Use a Steve Rhoades 45 cal delrin rod with machined Jag on the end. 2.5 inch Proshot Patches for wipping. both the wet and dry.

KW
The Lunger