PDA

View Full Version : Volunteers/Testers needed

joeb33050
03-27-2007, 12:07 PM
The book, CAST BULLETS FOR BEGINNERS AND EXPERTs, Second Edition, is done, it's up on the Yahoo site for all to see and use. I need to know if the WORD files are workable and satisfactory, as they will be on the CDs. If you are a WORD person and can read CDs, I'd like to send you a CD for you to try, to tell me if you can use the files easily. If you'll try it out, please send me your name and address and I'll send the CD. Then I'd ask you to send it on to another person. Not too many please.
Thanks;
joe brennan
joeb33050@yahoo.com

Nickle
03-27-2007, 12:18 PM
I can do it for you. I use MS Word on about a daily basis.

I'll e-mail you with my info.

scrapcan
03-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Joe,

I also use MS office quite frequentl (read that as everyday at the office). I also use several other workd processing packages and could give comment on those also.

I will send you a pm.

Jeremy

Kraschenbirn
03-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Joe...

Would be glad to pitch in. Have both PC and Mac systems (both with CD), MS Office 2005, and at least one older version of MS Word.

Will send PM with mailing address.

Bill

dragonrider
03-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Gotta link to the yahoo site?

Bigjohn
03-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Not so sure you would want to post a copy downunder for testing but if so let me know as I am willing to test it out.

John.

VTDW
03-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Is there a link?:coffee:

Forester
03-27-2007, 07:18 PM
I would be happy to try it out. More versed than I would probably like to be in Word and MS Office in general. Send a PM if you need an address etc.

rvpilot76
03-27-2007, 07:28 PM
Guinea pig, right here. Let me know if you need my address. Glad to help out.

Kevin

cabezaverde
03-27-2007, 08:09 PM
I can convert the book to PDF for you if you want.

joeb33050
03-29-2007, 06:30 AM
"Cast Bullets For Beginner And Expert", Second Edition, can be found and read online at: http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/CB-BOOK/
The book is in "FILES", the Table Of Contents is in "The Beginning"

Maybe a moderator would want to put this info in a "sticky" somewhere??

Bigjohn, Forester and rvpilot, please send your addresses so I can get you in line to review.

Thanks for the response, we have all the reviewers we could ever need. No more, please!

Thanks to all on cast boolits, as usual, for the help.
joe brennan

Bigjohn
03-30-2007, 03:48 AM
Joe;

PM sent.

John

Lucky Joe
03-30-2007, 07:04 AM
I would like to be involved in this project. Let me know what you need.

joeb33050
04-05-2007, 07:16 AM
I think I sent CDs to all who answered, less one person-it's coming. I'm getting some questions, so.....
I need to know if you can navigate around in the WORD comfortably, that's the first question.
Then, any comment, criticism, addition, new chapter or suggestion is gratefully solicited. Anything, I'm thick skinned by now.
Thanks;
joe brennan

scrapcan
04-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Joe,

The CD arrived a couple days ago. I am out of town for work, but should be able to have a gander at your work this weekend. Will let you know how it goes when I get in the same town with the cd.

RugerFan
04-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Joe,

The CD arrived a couple days ago. I am out of town for work, but should be able to have a gander at your work this weekend. Will let you know how it goes when I get in the same town with the cd.

Ditto for me as well. I'll get to view it this weekend.

Kraschenbirn
04-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Ditto for me as well. I'll get to view it this weekend.

Pretty much same story here. Been working out of town the last couple of days and CD arrived while I was on the road. Will jump into it just as soon as I get my field reports caught up...probably over the weekend.

Bill

dragonrider
04-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Well went to yahoo, what a pita btw, found files, found no book. titles are all there but all that comes up is "can't find page" I'll keep checking it'l show up sometime I'm sure.

MT Gianni
04-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Well went to yahoo, what a pita btw, found files, found no book. titles are all there but all that comes up is "can't find page" I'll keep checking it'l show up sometime I'm sure.

That seconds my experience. Gianni.

joeb33050
04-06-2007, 07:05 AM
"The book" IS those files. That's where/what the book is.
The "Titleas" you found are the sections of the book.
The Table of Contents is in "0.0 The Beginning", clicking on the beginning opens up that section, of which TOC is one file.
Clicking on any file opens that file up. Afterwards you must click "back".
I don't understand the problems that some folks have, others get around there without problems. Maybe there are differences in our computers. I wish I knew more about this computer and internet business. When the CBA webmaster moved the Forum site from Yahoo to whateveritisnow, shouts of joy were heard from some, while others quit in frustration. I can get around in both. There's something that makes some people love or hate Yahoo and other places. It's like that .pdf compared to WORD. I love WORD, hate .pdf, yet many want to see the book in .pdf.
Dragonrider and MT Gianni, if you want, send me a pm with your address and I'll get a copy of the CD sent.
Sorry for the problems;
joe brennan

joeb33050
04-06-2007, 03:55 PM
The Yahoo site didn't allow looking at the book in FILES this morning, but it works fine now, at 4PM EST.
Dragonrider and MT Gianni, please try it now and see if it works for you.
Thanks;
joe brennan

scrapcan
04-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Joe,

the files are working for me using Word2003, wordviewer, excel2003,excel viewer(no ability to actually use the spreedsheet but can view), and Open office under both windows and linux.

One comment related to the files. You could create hyperlinks in the table of contents that would allow direct access to files if you have a program set for the file types. You could also make a table of contents page in html format and do the same thing.

AS far as the PDF file type is concerned, it is the best way to disseminate static content. The layout is always the same, printing should be setup so it is the same, and pdf files are much smaller in size. PDF files are also cross platform compatible (i.e. windows, mac, linux, *nix all have readers). and best of all for most documents, they are not easily modified (although a new pdf editor for linux has been released recently, cabaret stage).

I have not done intesive review of content, I think that has been hashed out long before now. I watched the files on yahoo and the old cba board for quite some time and recognize alot of the topics from these boards and the rpevious version of your work. There are some psots taht could use the spell and grammar check, but that is a personal thing.

Thanks for letting us review your files. Would you like me to pass my cd on to the next interested party if you would like. Let me know.

Jeremy

joeb33050
04-09-2007, 06:58 AM
Joe,

the files are working for me using Word2003, wordviewer, excel2003,excel viewer(no ability to actually use the spreedsheet but can view), and Open office under both windows and linux.

One comment related to the files. You could create hyperlinks in the table of contents that would allow direct access to files if you have a program set for the file types. You could also make a table of contents page in html format and do the same thing.

+++I'd like to do that, the links, for the CD version. I don't know how. I don't undestand the ".html format" business.
I'd like to have the CD version have both .doc = WORD and .pdf files that are readable, easily. I'm getting feedback that folks are finding the .doc filea easy to navigate around in.
It would be easier with the links from the Table of Contents to the section and chapter.
I don't know if links work in .pdf.
I need someone to help with the links, and someone to turn this into .pdf.+++

AS far as the PDF file type is concerned, it is the best way to disseminate static content. The layout is always the same, printing should be setup so it is the same, and pdf files are much smaller in size. PDF files are also cross platform compatible (i.e. windows, mac, linux, *nix all have readers). and best of all for most documents, they are not easily modified (although a new pdf editor for linux has been released recently, cabaret stage).

I have not done intesive review of content, I think that has been hashed out long before now. I watched the files on yahoo and the old cba board for quite some time and recognize alot of the topics from these boards and the rpevious version of your work. There are some psots taht could use the spell and grammar check, but that is a personal thing.

+++I know about some problems with posts, but my policy is that I won't change it unless the post is not understandable, don't like to change it then.+++

Thanks for letting us review your files. Would you like me to pass my cd on to the next interested party if you would like. Let me know.

+++I think I've sent or arranged sending to all interested parties.+++
Jeremy
Thanks;
joe brennan

Paladin 56
04-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Joe,

Received my copy. Thanks. I'll let you know something soon.

Regards,
David

scrapcan
04-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Joe,

I will try to look at things when I get a chance and see if I can help get it into html or pdf. Their are others who have offered, maybe we can help you get things into other file types.

Jeremy

Kraschenbirn
04-11-2007, 11:02 PM
Joe...

Ran the your CD on both PC using XP Pro and the wife's Mac. Everything opened nicely, including the pics and charts. Been working my way through the files, page by page, and haven't found anything that appears odd. Lotsa good information there...looks like a real winner.

Bigjohn
04-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Joe,

I spent most of yesterday doing the washing and as I have to be around the machine in case of problems I opened the disc.

WOW!
Mucho information; I am currently up to section 7.3 and the only problem I found were two photo's over the top of the previous two.

6.3 Primers and Priming Tools on de-priming Berdan Cases; steps to remove primers. There is a series of four photos showing the steps. In my copy; photo no.3 is on top of No.1 and No. 4 is on top of No.2.
This could just be a problem with my copy as strange things have been known to happen when making copies of materials.

Other than a few minor grammar and spelling problems, no other issues arise.

John.