PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Selling Cut Down Propane Tanks for Smelting????

rbertalotto
03-16-2012, 11:40 AM
I need one and simply don't have the nads to cut into a propane tank!....:confused:

I'd gladly buy one from someone.

Email me at rvb100@comcast.net with a price.

zuke
03-16-2012, 02:29 PM
How I cut one was to open the vent slowly and come back a couple day's later.
While it's still open fill it to overflowing a couple time's from a garden hose.
Then unscrew the valve,it's brass so keep it for a scrap run!
Once unscrewed if you smell any propane fill'er up again and leave it overnight,if that make's you feel better.
Figure out where your gonna cut it,get the grinder and a cut off disk and go to it!
It'll take about 7-10 minute's do cut it.

shadowcaster
03-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Anyone Selling Cut Down Propane Tanks for Smelting????
I need one and simply don't have the nads to cut into a propane tank!....

I'd gladly buy one from someone.

Email me at rvb100@comcast.net with a price.

www.rvbprecision.com

If you can't find one to buy, and don't want to risk cutting into one there are other options. If you have a welder or access to one, you can build a smelting pot out of a rim or well casing and plate steel. Then it's custom sized to your needs.

Shad

buyobuyo
03-16-2012, 04:46 PM
There was a forum member that was selling cut down propane tanks. I'm not sure if he is anymore, and I don't remember his name off the top of my head. Take a look in the Swapping & Selling section.

rbertalotto
03-16-2012, 05:54 PM
If you have a welder or access to one, you can build a smelting pot out of a rim or well casing and plate steel.

Got a welder and think I might go this route. I'm looking to make a bottom pour and this might be a better approach anyways.

Thanks!

bumpo628
03-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Here you go:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=146999

SquirrelHollow
03-16-2012, 10:40 PM
The scent that is added to propane will remain in/on the tank for up to a week after all traces of the gas are gone. It is a synthetic chemical.

If you have removed the valve and filled the tank with water, it is safe to cut... regardless of the way it smells.

Moonman
03-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Member D CROCKETT.

cabezaverde
03-18-2012, 08:13 AM
How are you guys getting the valves off? I have a really tight one.

Reload3006
03-18-2012, 08:20 AM
turn the tank upside down for a couple days with the valve open that should get all the gas out. Then take a wrench and remove the valve you can fill it up with water to displace any gas that is stubborn enough and cut away with a sawzall. but I question why. I know they are relatively inexpensive but so is a large piece of steel pipe at a recyclers and a piece of plate for the bottom Surely you know of someone with a welder that you can get to marry the bottom for you and you would have a much better smelting pot than one made from a propane tank and a lot safer.

warf73
03-19-2012, 03:37 AM
My tank couldn't be filled and had been empty for well over 5+ years with no valve on it. I was going to use it as an air tank but never did so I cut it down. Free is always cheaper than buying last time checked. Not saying your pipe and plate isn't a good way to go but it would have cost.
I would bet a harbor freight dutch over would be cheaper and easer to get than buy pipe and plate then track down a welder.

shadowcaster
03-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Free is always cheaper than buying last time checked. Not saying your pipe and plate isn't a good way to go but it would have cost.
I would bet a harbor freight dutch over would be cheaper and easer to get than buy pipe and plate then track down a welder.

Free is NOT always better if you don't get exactly what you want. I have very minimal cost in the bottom pour pot I built from a rim and plate steel. The rim was free and with a little scrounging the plate was was worth the small a mount that I had to pay. It's custom to my needs. If you don't have a welder I'd be willing to bet that some friend or family does.

Shad

warf73
03-20-2012, 06:24 AM
Free is NOT always better if you don't get exactly what you want. I have very minimal cost in the bottom pour pot I built from a rim and plate steel. The rim was free and with a little scrounging the plate was was worth the small a mount that I had to pay. It's custom to my needs. If you don't have a welder I'd be willing to bet that some friend or family does.

Shad

"I said Free is always CHEAPER" No were in my post did I say it was BETTER.

carbine
03-20-2012, 06:50 AM
Got mine from D. Crockett.

btroj
03-20-2012, 07:44 AM
I don't know of any friends or family with a welder.

A cut down propane tank would be far easier for me to obtain.

I like easy.