PDA

View Full Version : Lube in bullet seater die!

Little Joe
03-27-2007, 08:15 AM
My reloads were getting messed up so I started checking things out and I found there was a buildup of lube in the boolit seater die.I took her apart an cleaned it up,scaped the lube from the bullet seater plug and from the sides of the die.Working fine now.

One of the drawbacks of cast bullets.

Out of here,
Little Joe

bruce drake
03-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Every so often I just take the dies apart and spritz them with some brake cleaner. Takes the lube out and brings them back to normal. Just like you said, price of doing business with Cast.

I consider it Preventative Maintenance.

Bruce

44man
03-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Yep, I put up with it because the best working lubes will do that.
Years ago I had a friend that said he would never load "greaseballs" for his guns. He just didn't know what he was missing!

Char-Gar
03-27-2007, 08:27 AM
Isopropyl alchohol works well to clean such dies. pour a little in, take it apart and wipe clean and is less toxic around the house than other solvents. I poisoned my cat Beamer with residue from Brake Cleaner. He is OK now but it took me $300.00 in vet bills and much angst.

hunter64
03-27-2007, 08:32 AM
Little Joe: What lube are you using, probably Lee Liquid stuff. I got so tired of cleaning the die out that what I started to do was after the alox dried and the bullets where upright, I took a q-tip and dipped it in Mineral Spirits and cleaned the noses of the bullets off. I just touched them with the spirits and then rubbed them on a rag that I taped down to the desk. You can do allot very quickly and it isn't hard and then you never have to worry about the seating die getting gummed up with lube. The number one complaint about Lee Liquid Alox is this very problem.

Little Joe
03-27-2007, 01:38 PM
Yes it was Lee Brown Alox!!!!
I love this Brown Alox for my bullet lubeing!!!
But I must now learn to deal with it better!!!
I will try what you say above with mineral spirts!!!
I sure hope it will help out!!!
I also own a Star luber!!!
Have blue and red!!!
Brown Alox is faster!!!
Would like to stick with that!!!
thankyou for your support!!!

Out of here!!!
Little Joe!!!