PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Single Six / Security Six

DeadWoodDan
03-16-2012, 09:06 AM
For those that are familiar with these weapons what are your pros vs. cons? Have some for sale locally and was thinking about calling on. I've been wanting a revolver in .357 Magnum for some time. Don't know why i'm stuck on Rugers but know i will have a Blackhawk some day. Also been checking out the GP 101s.

Thanks
DWD

kenyerian
03-16-2012, 09:17 AM
I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 357 and a GP 101. I like the BlackHawk best for hunting and I like the GP101 best for packing as it is lighter. My wife prefers the 101. I had a security six for a while and it was a real accurate gun but I traded it off . Like the 101 better. Both guns are fun to plink around with. My grandsons all started with my single six 22 before they moved up to the Blackhawk.

375RUGER
03-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Don't have any thing bad to say about the Rugers you have mentioned. All the ones I've had experience with were good shooters.
I have a single six, my second one. I traded my first one blue, for this SS one. both are excellent little guns. I'd by another for sure.
My granddad had a secutity six, now it belongs to my uncle. Nice shooting gun. Light weight, handles good. I liked it. I'd buy one.
GP100 is a good DA also. Mom has one, ex had one too. They are like my other Ruger revolvers, they shoot straight. I like the grip on them, always felt good in my hand.

fcvan
03-16-2012, 09:38 AM
My brother bought a Security Six back in the 80s and it is a wonderful shooter. His is a short barreled version and he would love a 4" model. If there are some available, where might that be? I'm sure he'd want to contact the seller. PM me please. Frank

Baja_Traveler
03-16-2012, 10:57 AM
I have the single six hunter, and it makes a great .22 revolver for hunting rabbits and squirrels. It's a pretty accurate little revolver. I also used it for a year to shoot our .22 silhouette matches before I picked up a contender to replace it.
I also have the .22 Mag cylinder, but I never had a real use for the more expensive ammo for what I do.

Larry Gibson
03-16-2012, 11:08 AM
I have a Single Six in .32 H&R (original run) with a 6" barrel and adjustable sights, It is very accurate and an excellent trail gun. I've had .22LR SSs over the years that were just as good also. If you like single actions and want a .22LR the Single Six is an excellent choice.

My main .357 revovler is the Security Six, also with a 6" barrel. I've had numerous S&W and a couple Colts over the years and find the Ruger Security Six to be as good as any of them. While not the best in the DA department it is as cood as the Colts with coil mainsprings and certainly is servicable. The Security Six a a stout handgun and I shoot true .357 magnum level loads in mine which it digests with ease. It also is more accurate than I can shoot. Since getting the Security Six some 15+ years ago I've not thought about getting another general purpose/hunting .357 revolver for my own use.

Larry Gibson

bob208
03-16-2012, 11:50 AM
i have a security six 4" in stainless steel i bought used in 77. it was made in 76. i have carried it either in my truck or on my belt ever since i have had it it has never failed me. i also have a 6" blue s-s. i don't know why they stopped making them i feel the gp models are not as good.

richhodg66
03-16-2012, 12:17 PM
I've had a six inch Security Six for about 21 years now and it is the handgun I own that I would most want if the chips were really down. It's beat all to hell and the bluing is all worn off but I shoot it well and it is 100% reliable.

They are good shooters and have the Ruger trait of being overbuilt and strong. I wish they still made them, a GP100 just seems too darn big for a .357 in my opinion.

williamwaco
03-16-2012, 12:19 PM
I bought my first Ruger handgun in 1956.

I am a trader and shooter, not a collector so I have owned about a zillion of them.

Never owned one that was unsatisfactory in any way.

woody1
03-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Dan,
You don't say what you want this revolver to do, so I'll just say this, prob'ly neither you nor your kids will wear out a Ruger single six, security six or Blackhawk. When I gave our youngest a used single six, I told him, "Take care of it and you'll hand it off to your grandkids." Regards, Woody

jmsj
03-16-2012, 02:19 PM
The first handgun I learned to shoot was a Ruger Single-Six. My father still has it and I can't seem to get him to trade it to me. It is a good shooter with the 22 LR cylinder and a great shooter with the 22 magnum cylinder.
My current Single-Six is a stainless 32 H&R magnum, fixed sight with a birdshead grip. My wife gave this one to me 10 years ago as wedding present and like her, it is a keeper.
Good luck, jmsj

Rick N Bama
03-16-2012, 04:21 PM
I have a Security Six, blue, with the short barrel (2 5/8ths?). It's every bit as accurate as my S&W M586 with a 4" barrel.

BTW, I bought the gun 2 or 3 years ago from a neighbor that was moving. It came with 2 boxes of ammo, less the 9 rounds the gun had been fired. I would have bought a lottery ticket that day if we had a lottery here:)

Rick

MtGun44
03-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Both good guns. The Single Six is a bit less than match accy IME. I think this is due to a
barrel sized more for the .22 Mag than for the .22 LR. Still minute of pop can all day.

Sec Six is a wonderul gun, mine is very accurate, and easy to do a bit of smoothing and
polishing for an excellent dlb action trigger.

Bill

Duckiller
03-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Bought a Security Six when I got out of the Army many years ago. 6" barrel.The Ruger was a bunch cheaper than a Colt or Smith for some one without much money. Lots of wadcutter loads as well as heavy magnum loads have been fired through it. 10+/- years ago I had a trigger job done on it. Helped some. Biggest problem with the gun was the small grips. A set of Herret grips fixed that. Daughter has it now and she uses the factory grips.

Harter66
03-17-2012, 12:41 AM
I have a 6"Sec 6 in 357 it isn't as acurrate as my dads old model BH. It throws 1 of the 6 about 4" hi and wide at 50yd the OMBH shoots 2" 6 for 6. My BH is in 45Colts it came to me w/a dinged chamber so it throws 1 also . All 3 shoot well enough to hunt with. The Old Model could be a competitive gun .

Three-Fifty-Seven
03-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Um gun

Philngruvy
03-19-2012, 06:49 PM
It is a good shooter with the 22 LR cylinder and a great shooter with the 22 magnum cylinder.
Good luck, jmsj

The Single Six is a bit less than match accy IME. I think this is due to a
barrel sized more for the .22 Mag than for the .22 LR. Still minute of pop can all day.

Bill

I completely agree with these statements. I found that my single six is very accurate with LR but when I shoot the magnum loads, look out!!!

DeadWoodDan
03-20-2012, 10:14 PM
SP 101 is what i originally ment. Wife and i went shopping saturday, just to handle a few. The Single Six and Security Rugers were sold.......but i got a line on a Blackhawk 6" ........i will let you all know by Sunday if it has a new home.

DWD