PDA

View Full Version : 44mag shotshells?

03-16-2012, 06:26 AM
1 of my boolit buddies sent me some shotshell capsules, I need a recipe. My main question is how deep to seat them.

PbHurler
03-16-2012, 07:32 AM
The shot capsules should be Speer's. The Speer manuals (did) have load data that I've used before. (Sorry, but I'm away from my access to the manuals right now) Someone will chime in shortly.

Mooseman
03-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Speer #9 says to seat them for an OAL of 1.6 inches.
Bullseye powder 7.0 gr.
Unique powder 7.5 gr.
SR7625 powder 7.5 gr.
230 Powder 8.0 gr.

roll crimp after seating to depth carefully. MV ~ 1200-1250 in a 6.5 inch barrel.

NOTE...This DATA does NOT apply to Thompson Contender Capsules !!!

Rich

BD
03-16-2012, 09:25 AM
1.6" COAL, #8 or #9 shot and start low, loading up until the pattern gets too open for your intended purposes. I used to carry these for grouse while baiting and running bear. They were good to about 10 yards max out of my DW744. And it took some experimenting to find the load of Unique that would keep the pattern together. Somewhere around 6.5 grains if I remember correctly. Occasionally the front of the capsule will stay together with enough shot to do some real damage, so be careful with them. In my opinion a roll crimped card wad provides more shot and a better group. However the plastic capsules hold up to rough handling better.
BD

runfiverun
03-16-2012, 01:46 PM
i couldn't find data wwhen i first wanted to load some of these too.
so i filled one of the capsuls full of shot and weighed it.
then used that weight as a bullet weight and started from there.

Certaindeaf
03-16-2012, 02:02 PM
You of course want them to rotate. Fairly murderous from horseback on many big flushers at fifteen feet.

Thin Man
03-16-2012, 04:39 PM

You didn't mention your interest in 44 shotshells. If it is snakes, let me put in a plug for the smallest shot size you can find. I use #12 and it's instant death on snakes. The usual loadings of #9 shot in 38 and 44 bores just didn't get the job done to satisfaction, even with close distance shots. For birds or small game you could look at larger shot size than #12.

Thin Man

375RUGER
03-16-2012, 05:24 PM
In 44mag, I use 7.0g of 700X. 1.5" OAL. #7.5 or #9 shot. just enough crimp to hold the capsule in place.

Dale53
03-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Thin Man is directly on point regarding shot size for snakes. #12 will shred them. The only place I know to get #12 shot is Ballistic Products.

Dale53

03-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks for all the help. I was going to start with 6.2 grs of unique but had no idea about OAL. I read somewhere about shooting bumble bees, they are eating my shop. The capsules I have are already loaded with shot, not sure what size. I have #7 1/2 on hand. It seems to me that 10lbs of #12 shot would last a lifetime.

Finster101
03-16-2012, 09:25 PM
If you reduce the load a little you will get a tighter group. I also seem to get better results out of shorter barreled pistols.

DLCTEX
03-17-2012, 07:29 PM
+1 on lighter charges holding better patterns. Hotter loads will blow holes in the pattern.

runfiverun
03-17-2012, 09:54 PM
there's probably still 10 lbs of 11 shot in the back of my old truck from littlegirl picking the bag up from the wrong end when we moved.

03-20-2012, 09:17 PM
1.6" COAL, #8 or #9 shot and start low, loading up until the pattern gets too open for your intended purposes. I used to carry these for grouse while baiting and running bear. They were good to about 10 yards max out of my DW744. And it took some experimenting to find the load of Unique that would keep the pattern together. Somewhere around 6.5 grains if I remember correctly. Occasionally the front of the capsule will stay together with enough shot to do some real damage, so be careful with them. In my opinion a roll crimped card wad provides more shot and a better group. However the plastic capsules hold up to rough handling better.
BD

Be careful is right. I shot this target at 9 feet. The 2 ragged holes on the right are from nose plastic, the round hole close to the center is from the base wad. Loaded with 6 gr. unique and I think # 9 shot. Tell me more about card wads and rool crimping.

izzyjoe
03-20-2012, 11:06 PM
i made some awhile back using Junior's recipe, they worked pretty good in my marlin. but i used #9 shot insted of #12.

Moonie
03-21-2012, 11:50 PM
I had some of these years ago, I used #12 and Unique, lighter is certainly better.

BD
03-22-2012, 10:05 AM
I don't think the ends of the plastic shot capsule are too dangerous, but I have experienced a couple of shots where the front of the capsule stayed together with enough shot to penetrate barn boards, so be careful of what might be downrange.

The .44 shotshells I made with card wads gave me superior groups, with much less risk of a solid projectile. However, they did not hold up to a hunting season of being carried around in a speed loader on my belt, and if you shoot 10 or twelve in a row you may get some leading. It's a pita if one of them lets go in the cylinder from the recoil on a rainy day as that small shot will get into places where you don't really want it.

I made them by sharpening the mouth of a fired .44 case with the chamfer tool and using that to cut wads out of cardboard. I used a piece of lightweight corrigated cardboard for the base wad over 6 grains of Unique, then I filled the case with #8 shot to the rim and used a wad cut from the back of a tablet for the overwad, crimping it in place with a heavy roll crimp. By using the fired case the wads are slightly oversize and will fit tight.

I never went any further with this, but I think some parafin dripped on the overwad after crimping might make them more durable. I've also wondered if a person couldn't form a thin paper shot cup fold it over and use a thicker wax overwad?
BD

03-23-2012, 06:07 AM
Thanks BD. Rain is in the forcast this weekend, good time to stay in and play. I'll make some and see how they work. The wood bees better watch out.

DLCTEX
03-23-2012, 10:41 AM
I make wads from styrofoam take out trays and seal with tub and tile caulk. No worries from moisture and they hold up well. I use them over the powder as well, sans caulk.

BD
03-23-2012, 03:05 PM
That's a good idea DLCTEX, I'll have to give it a try.
BD

Certaindeaf
03-23-2012, 03:15 PM
That's a good idea DLCTEX, I'll have to give it a try.
BD
Make sure it's "tub and tile" aka 100% silicone and use it sparingly. Some caulks turn to iron.