PDA

View Full Version : Good compass

Charlie Two Tracks
03-15-2012, 09:03 PM
I need to find a good compass for setting up my Directv dish on my RV. I had a real good Army issue one but I gave that to my daughter many years ago. Those things are pretty pricey now a days. Any ideas?

03-15-2012, 10:33 PM
Charlie,

for an economical but quality solution, I would look for a basic baseplate compass from either Silva or Suunto. These can be found a number of places for under 10$. If you want a sighting compass, silva makes on for around 20 bucks. closer to the military version. If you want the real deal, Cammenga is the maker of most military issue compasses, but they will set you back 50-90$

Enjoy!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-15-2012, 10:48 PM
i have the Silva guide got them for my hole cub scout den one year , works very well if it can get you around a compass course where you pace off distance and follow your coordinates thru multiple turns and come to a spot and have to find a quarter laying on the ground , i would say it works.

that said the basic Silva Polaris or starter worked fine for setting up my dads dish , the key to setting up the dish is to have the volume turned up as loud as you can on the tv so you can hear the beep on the roof , a friend used to bring a 13 inch tv attached to the receiver on the roof with him so he could set them up when you get close it starts beeping when you get a steady tone you are good and lock it in place some may be different it has been some years but they should have something like that.
i suppose now we would just call the home phone from the cell phone and set the home phone next to the tv or borrow the wifes cell phone and set it next to the tv while you listen on your phone.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-16-2012, 05:30 AM
Thanks guys. I was just surprised at how expensive Cammenga was.

MT Gianni
03-16-2012, 12:39 PM
A friend has an app for a smart phone that shows a 1 degree position shift.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-17-2012, 03:33 PM
thanks MT Gianni. I searched Verizon downloads and it was not to be found. I don't know if I have a smart phone or not............. probably not.

MajorJim
03-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Is your dish based on setting it up to true or magnetic North? If true North, remember to add or subtract the deviation (declination) based on where your live if you use a magnetic compass. The gap between true North and magnetic North is widening in North America, so much so that some airports have had to change runway numbers.

DLCTEX
03-17-2012, 07:25 PM
My I phone has a compass and can be set for magnetic north or true north. I do have a military sighting compass.

dagger dog
03-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Some of the higher end type 15 Silva Rangers have an clinometer which helps setting the azimuth on your dish. Accuracy comes with use .

East least west best is the old addage for figuring declination, if you use the 7.5min topo maps from the USGS it will have the declination rosette on the page.

hiram
03-17-2012, 10:28 PM
Boy Scout compass with rectangular base that has an arrow to point you in the right direction.