PDA

View Full Version : Star disassembly?

Orygun
03-26-2007, 09:45 PM
I have a Star sizer that's probably 25-30 years old as is going strong as ever. Problem is I just switched from the 50/50 Alox lube to a hard lube and really haven't got the heating dialed in yet.

I'm trying the aluminum plate with an iron on it for the heating job and it has been either too hot or too cold, (sometimes just right) and I got it too hot once and have a lot of lube in the plunger spring when the lube flowed too freely....amongst other places. :)

I would like to clean the spring for easier/cleaner operation, but not sure if I disassemble it that I can reassemble due to the apparent tension that it is under.

I do not have the original manual (if there was one) and was hoping someone could give me a clue on how to easily do this.

And if you have better suggestions for a 'controlled' heating temperature, please pass it along. I'm using Jake's purple lube and it states to heat to approx. 120°, but controlling it is the trick. Maybe some sort of thermometer on the plate?

Springfield
03-26-2007, 09:53 PM
All 3 of my Stars have grease inside the spring, it just seeps in there after time. I just scrape most of it out once in a while and don't worry too much about it, 'cause it aways comes back anyway.

garandsrus
03-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Orygun,

Use a blow drier to heat the spring and melt off the lube. You might want to put a paper towel or something under it to catch the lube so you don't just move the mess...

John

Texasflyboy
03-27-2007, 09:06 AM
I would like to clean the spring for easier/cleaner operation, but not sure if I disassemble it that I can reassemble due to the apparent tension that it is under.

Don't take it apart. Just use a hair dryer to melt it off as the others suggest. Years ago I wrote an article on an easy and cheap fix for this. I just reposted it to my website:

Article on changing leaking Star Luber gaskets (http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/star.htm)

Orygun
03-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Don't take it apart. Just use a hair dryer to melt it off as the others suggest. Years ago I wrote an article on an easy and cheap fix for this. I just reposted it to my website:

Article on changing leaking Star Luber gaskets (http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/star.htm)

I might not have been clear on which spring; it's the lube pump mechanism spring on the bottom. My lube tube(?) doesn't leak yet, but thanks for the tips and nice article on replacing the gaskets Texasflyboy, I printed it out for future use.

Hair dryer, huh, why didn't I think about that! I have used one to warm the lube before, and I'm sure that I can focus it on that lower spring and accomplish what's needed.

Now if I can get a control on the iron heating, my problems will be over.

Thanks all. :drinks:

LAH
03-27-2007, 03:12 PM
That's the pressure pump and the lever is simple to remove and replace. I've done mine several times. Remove the lever and pull the plunger out. Simple...........Creeker

Orygun
03-27-2007, 11:04 PM
That's the pressure pump and the lever is simple to remove and replace. I've done mine several times. Remove the lever and pull the plunger out. Simple...........Creeker

Creeker,
So you mean just to pull the cotter key and pin on the lever and it will easily go back inyo place? I was worried that the spring would be under a lot of pressure.

LAH
03-28-2007, 08:57 AM
It is under pressure but required no special tools to reinstall. It does require some finger & hand strength which most casters have plenty of and it seems I used a punch or ice pick to help line things up.

I don't have my Star set up at this time so I'm going by memory but I think I reached around the right side of the machine with thumb to the front and fingers to the rear at the point of the hinge pin and squeezing took the pressure off the pin and pushed it out with a small pin punch. I reinstalled the same way only didn't need the punch.