PDA

View Full Version : USPS loses Accurate mold and SW pistol

oldandslow
03-15-2012, 06:49 AM
Greetings all, 3/15/12

If anyone finds an Accurate Mold (44 magnum five cavity mold) in their mail let me know. It left Tom's place on Jan. 27 and just disappeared in the black void that is the USPS. After five weeks of waiting and several emails to Larry at Accurate Molds they made me a new one and shipped it out. It arrived in six days. Thanks USPS. I do want to thank the Accurate Molds folks for their work in getting me my mold.

I also ordered a SW 329 Nightguard 44 mag/special revolver in early January from a midwest dealer with a tracking number and insurance. In four days it arrived in Hawaii and left the next day for my location in one of the US territories, and then just disappeared. After a week I went to the local USPS with the tracking info showing its disappearance a week earlier. The clerk was very helpful-"I have no idea where it is or how to find it. Just wait and it'll probably turn up." I tried another clerk who looked up the tracking info on the USPS computer. His response- "We have no idea where it is, just wait another week or two and it'll probably show up." I was given a supervisor's name and number but she wouldn't answer the phone and was never in her office. After another week I emailed the dealer where I bought the gun and their USPS office put out a tracer and low and behold it showed up the next day at my FFL's box. Thanks USPS. No wonder these guys are going broke.

end of rant and best wishes- oldandslow

BossHoss
03-15-2012, 07:14 AM
I think everyone has a story similar to yours. Some with a not-so happy ending .

Supervision/ Security at USPS is lacking, for sure.

To wit:

My friend crated a stripped down Dillon Super 1050, wood frame crate covered in light ply and cardboard, shipped it to Dillon for repair.

When Dillon received it, the CRATE WAS EMPTY. Someone at USPS had carefully opened the crate, removed the press, put the crate back together as best they could and delivered it EMPTY to Dillon.

4 months later the USPS insurance is finally going to cut a check for the insured amount.

Who's next?

dubber123
03-15-2012, 07:28 AM
I think mine was with FedEx. I shipped 2 packages to Ca. to a gunsmith. Only 1 came back. A call to the gunsmith got the feds involved, and the next day, it was on my table. The box was ripped open, but I'm guessing when they found it was only a T/C G2 frame, they dumped it at the sorting facility. I'm glad they attempted to steal that one, package #2 had a Freedom Arms .475 revolver in it. :)

excess650
03-15-2012, 07:35 AM
Do you folks remember WHY hanguns shipped by UPS MUST be sent "overnight"?. Its because sooo many were being stolen while in their posession, during transport, or at the sort facilities. Instead of beefing up their security to sort out the problems, they foisted the "ovenight only" stipulation onto the folks trusting them to ship their packages.[smilie=b:

madsenshooter
03-15-2012, 07:59 AM
They delivered a nice 92/96 Krag to me. Problem was, it appeared someone big had stepped on the box and the rifle was in two pieces, stock broken at the the wrist. I went to the PO with the evidence, they wanted to keep the rifle. No way, the government surplused the rifle once, they wasn't getting it back! I sent photos, made a claim for the full purchase price, received the money. Free rifle, except for finding another stock, which I eventually did. Looks like it's going to be a good day to get out and shoot that free rifle some, so....

41 mag fan
03-15-2012, 09:53 AM
I had a Lipsey special that took a tour of every state in the south, before making it to my FFL dealer here in IN. It even took a little tour to the east coast southern states. Guess it wanted to see the Atlantic first.

DLCTEX
03-15-2012, 01:37 PM
I shipped my DIL a deer mount of a deer she had taken here and left with a local taxidermist. When it arrived in Florida the box was crushed and skull plate broken, despite being marked fragile, so she applied to the USPS for the insurance to pay for repairs. She or my son had to take off work to go to the PO and wait an hour at least in line. They were told that if the insurance paid the PO would own the mount. Another day was taken from work to argue the case, then was told to come back. They decided to just pay for the repairs as it would be cheaper than missing the work. Couldn't handle it by phone or internet, had to appear in person, by the addressee. I think the PO make it as inconvenient as possible to get you to give up.

GT27
03-15-2012, 01:42 PM
One word comes to mind with USPS,TERRIBLE!

Shooter6br
03-15-2012, 01:45 PM
USPS deserves to go broke. I worked with a former USPS employee The stories he told were unbeleivable. Waste and corruption !!! Survival of the fittest NOT USPS. I am sure some employees work hard Some hardly working

BulletFactory
03-15-2012, 01:48 PM
why do you think that FedEx and UPS became so powerful.

The USPS lost a cellphone last yer, had me tied up for months without a phone.

BulletFactory
03-15-2012, 01:48 PM
http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2011/pb22321/html/updt_001.htm

Ronbo256
03-15-2012, 02:21 PM
I'll say USPS has a major problem, I was charged 18 dollars today to ship a medium flat rate box!!! and that's with no insurance!!!

stubert
03-15-2012, 02:43 PM
A medium flat rate box SHOULD be $10.95, unless you go to the post office, then they get a surcharge for helping you.

runfiverun
03-15-2012, 03:50 PM
by federal law anybody competing with the p.o. must charge double for the same services.
so the competitors are charging double,making money, and thriving.

i read somewhere.
that if we put the government in charge of the sahara desert, within a week there would be a sand shortage.

Sonnypie
03-15-2012, 04:17 PM
I've only had one really aggravating problem with them.
Usually everything goes very well.
I placed an order for a Lee item. And dispite States and Zip codes, despite HUGE bar codes on the label...
It goes almost to Saugus, MASSATWOCHITZ!
Instead of Saugus, CA.
But finally somebody in Salem, MA could READ and get it overnighted to the Left Coast.
I hadn't had any trouble before, nor since, with that vendor or that PO.
Apparently they fired bumbles, or put him/her back on the damned broom.
I use the USPS a lot. And usually it works good for me.
But once in a while.... :twisted:

BulletFactory
03-15-2012, 04:23 PM
by federal law anybody competing with the p.o. must charge double for the same services.

cite please

375RUGER
03-15-2012, 05:23 PM
if true if probably applies to First Class Mail only
they have exclusivity to First Class

Goatwhiskers
03-15-2012, 05:35 PM
I could be wrong, been wrong once before, but to the best of my knowledge it is ILLEGAL to ship a handgun by USPS, long guns OK. I won't get into the debate about service, not long retired after 23 years as a rural carrier and darn proud of every minute. Goat

badgeredd
03-15-2012, 05:51 PM
FFL to FFL is legal through the PO, I do believe.

Edd

Harter66
03-15-2012, 05:55 PM
I refer to the Joe Conforte story . He owed major back taxes so the IRS seized his business. His personal income on his all cash business was 5mil a year. In 6 months it was bankrupt . How you bankrupt a cash business w/3 services,food,booze,and sex,making 400% on food and booze and 120%(60-40split) I can't even imagine. After the auction ,ol'Joe still owed them 5 of the 7 milion he owed . To us here in the silver state it proves beyond any doubt that the goberment is completely capable of screwing up a wet dream and a free lunch.

Jailer
03-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Do you folks remember WHY hanguns shipped by UPS MUST be sent "overnight"?. Its because sooo many were being stolen while in their posession, during transport, or at the sort facilities. Instead of beefing up their security to sort out the problems, they foisted the "ovenight only" stipulation onto the folks trusting them to ship their packages.[smilie=b:

And what kills me about this is they REQUIRE you to ship a firearm overnight to the manufacturer for repair, yet it comes back to you by ground.

runfiverun
03-16-2012, 02:21 AM
cite please

ups training they straight up tell you this as part of the class.

MikeS
03-16-2012, 03:06 AM
And guess who sets the prices UPS and FedEx are allowed to charge? If you guess the USPS, you would be right! To me, that's amazing. A private company that's owned by the US Gov is allowed to set the prices for their competition! That would be like GM (I think that now stands for Government Motors, not General Motors since the US gov owns more than 50% of GM) telling Ford how much it can charge for their cars! Oh well, I guess that's just another one of the great things about living in a free country.

nanuk
03-16-2012, 04:15 AM
I have had no bad experiences with USPS shipping stuff up here to me, except the cost...

BUT, my own Canada Post, has one employee working at the Secure/Bonded Canada Customs depot in Montreal, who "Borrowed" my chainsaw, opened it, put gas and oil in it, used it, and was probably going to keep it until I filed my claim, and was personally on the phone with a Department head there...
when it did show up, amazingly in a most Conspicuous area, it was still gassed and oiled, BUT the arsehole left the cap loose so the gas leaked out into the box.
the Lady reboxed it, and wrapped the snot out of if in plastic and shipped it ground (no hazmat fees, but I paid extra shipping) via Purolater, which is OWNED by C.P.

A week later, when I received my saw, I phoned the lady back and she said (no word of a lie) to ALWAYS file a claim if you don't get your item, from anywhere in the US, to Anywhere in Canada, by 14 days! Her reasoning was, the employees are involved in the claims to locate missing items and they don't want themselves to be the last tracking point....

boltons75
03-16-2012, 04:43 AM
I had a drop bar for my trailer hitch shipped to me in a show flat rate box. But when it got to me, I was told I owed money, because our was shipped in a standard box. After talking to the seller on the phone, who insisted it was shipped in a usps flat rate, she agreed to refund me the difference. I paid, grabbed the box and opened it in their lobby, only to find the original flat rate box shredded inside the brown box, with shipping on it. They tried to squirrel out of it, but reluctantly refunded the extra I had paid. And the seller was relieved. They tried to claim that the drop bar wouldn't fit in their medium flat rate box, until he put one together, and guess what, perfect fit.

Always carry, never tell.

mooman76
03-16-2012, 09:52 AM
I work in a mail room and I'm constantly getting complaints of mail not showing up. Since I am the "mailroom" they tend to want to blame me when it comes up missing. Hardly a day goes by that I don't get a piece of mail that's been thrashed going through their machines and that's the ones that make it. What about the ones that don't? I have noticed though they have been putting tracking numbers on their packages even though you are not paying for your package to be tracked. I would assume it is to track where the are having problems.

bbqncigars
03-17-2012, 03:46 PM
I never had a problem with USPS until the last few weeks. Three Priority Mail boxes from three different vendors have vanished. I am not pleased. The best one was when I sent my Super Blackhawk to Ruger when the free safety upgrade came out. It came back in a bright red Ruger box that had signature required stickers (both Ruger and UPS) all over it. The driver just left it on the door step. I can only wonder at the possible legal ramifications if it had vanished before I returned home.

Wayne

rockrat
03-17-2012, 03:58 PM
I had never had any trouble with USPS until I shipped a Marlin m-375 to Tennessee, this month. It was in a box, inside another box. Guy emailed me, very upset, as the stock had a 3" crack in the wrist area.
I told him it wasn't that way when I mailed it, I had insured it, and I would file a claim. PO would have wanted the buttstock, but he wanted to keep it as he said it was one of the nicest buttstocks he had ever seen on a Marlin. Gunsmith said he could fix it easily, so we didn't file a claim. I did send him a bag of 375 brass so make it a bit better for him.

Just mailed off a 30 year old NIB Marlin Mountie, hope it gets there OK.

TomAM
03-25-2012, 02:34 PM
The mold just came back to my return address. The shipping label had been torn off. Anybody need a 5 cavity 431-250E?

kcinnick
03-25-2012, 02:59 PM
I shipped 50+ belts USPS priority mail in the past month, they only lost one and it was found and routed to the owner. It is the cheapest way for me to ship belts and holsters, especially since I use my own boxes, most in state orders arrive overnight. It was nerve racking to have a custom gun belt MIA, but it has saved my customers literally hundreds of dollars using USPS vs FedEx or UPS.

FN in MT
03-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Had a few boxes of cigars sent from CA to me here in MT...Montana.

Never showed up...never showed up. So called the store, they sent another box out and in 3 days...here it was in my mailbox.

Fully 4 months later the ORIGINAL shipment shows up...sent to MONTENEGRO...but by way of MONACO!! How the heck doees MONTANA...and a US zip code DO THAT??

As ppreviously mentioned...And they wonder why they are going tits up?

FN in MT

oldandslow
03-26-2012, 04:54 AM
TomAM at Accurate Molds writes " The mold just came back to my return address. The shipping label had been torn off."

That's my mold I ordered, the 431-250-E for my 44 special/ magnum. It only took two months to show up after the USPS rips off the shipping label and then has it sit in the backroom somewhere. Tom and Larry shipped me a new one after five weeks of waiting on the USPS. The mold they sent works superbly. I thank them for their fine work and customer service and if anyone needs a good .44 mold then it should ship quickly since it's already made.

best wishes- oldandslow

3006guns
03-26-2012, 06:29 AM
First of all, I consider our local mail carriers and workers to be tops.......local folks that do a great job.

As for the USPS itself, I still haven't forgiven them for losing the tailstock ram for my antique lathe......an irreplaceable part being shipped to a machinist that simply "disappeared" into the Black Hole, never to be seen again.

Lots of sympathy and lip service from the P.O. but they never found the part. Cost me 300 bucks to have a reproduction made.

I doubt if I'd ever trust them with one of my firearms.......I'll personally drive the gun to a repair shop rather than risk loss.

dodgyrog
03-26-2012, 07:22 AM
The mold just came back to my return address. The shipping label had been torn off. Anybody need a 5 cavity 431-250E?
How much - shipped to the UK?

TomAM
03-26-2012, 09:21 AM
$130 including intl shipping

Good Cheer
03-26-2012, 09:27 AM
We had a check lost a month ago. Had to pay cancellation charges on the check and then send with tracking to get the replacement in the hands of the recipient. This was the first time USPS burned us. Is it a growing problem?

troy_mclure
03-26-2012, 09:49 AM
I used to part out old motorcycles, after several items became lost I filed an insurance claim. They would not pay me because I did not have a "cash register receipt" showing the value of the item.
I went all the way to the regional manager with the same results. Nowadays I only use the frb and media mail. I even pay ups to send regular letters.

white eagle
03-26-2012, 10:11 AM
my location in one of the US territories,

its no wonder your mail gets lost
with the millions of pieces of mail that go through the p.o. in one day
bound to have a few get lost

40Super
03-26-2012, 10:21 AM
I talked to one of the small commercial cast bullet guys and he said when a certain customer would buy a box of bullets,when the box arrived it was always smashed and mangled,ripped open,and often half or more of the bullets were gone and still spilling out. He reported it to a local PI who had another box shipped with a tracker in it. The PI physicaly watched the box as it made it way. Finally at one of the sorting facility near that customer home,he cought a guy grab the box and toss it down off the loading ramp onto the concrete several times. When the plant was notified with the proof, the guy admitted to being anti-gun. He was fired.