PDA

View Full Version : Handheld GPS

crabo
03-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Any recommendations for "best bang for the buck" AND "easy learning curve"? My wife and I are getting into beekeeping and the beeyards are scattered all over the place.

My wife will not lock her car or truck, so I don't want a dash model.

Thanks,

nicholst55
03-15-2012, 01:37 AM
Tagged, as I will be purchasing one within a couple of months.

Lloyd Smale
03-15-2012, 06:04 AM
for a beginner id look into one of the basic garmin models. There around a 100 bucks and will get you out of the woods. Ive got a delorne pm model and it will do much more but its complicated and I dont know how to even use half the features on it.

03-15-2012, 06:12 AM
Go with a Garmin E-Trex. I'm on my second one, the first lasted 10 years. Used for hunting and fishing and lately Geocaching.

adkpete
03-15-2012, 06:15 AM
+1 on the E-Trex. Built solid and easy to use.

RugerFan
03-15-2012, 07:20 AM
I've had several different model Garmins and highly recommend that brand.

Reload3006
03-15-2012, 07:25 AM
I have a Garmin Nuvii it works pretty good I would not have bought it got it for an anniversary present from work. TomToms are very reasonably priced and work well. IMO they are the best bang for the buck.

10x
03-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Lowest price Garmin Etrex you can find.
It allows you to
1) mark waypoints
2) save tracks
3) using UTM and a good topo map with the blue UTM grid - and the GPS set to the map datum you can use the map to locate coordinates to enter into the GPS if you so desire.
4) You can save over 10 routes
5) there is a quick detach windshield mount and a 12 volt adapter available.

The basic garmin etrex does not come with maps installed or downloadable maps.
I have used mine in S. Africa, S. Argentina, Chile, St. Lucia, and Belize as well as here in the bush. Places where down loadable maps are not available.

I have a nextar GPS that is designed for city and highway navigation - they are defunct and the map data is outdated. Currently it shows roads that no longer exist and does not have new roads and streets.

On the GPS you do buy, make sure it can save a number of routes and you can enter and save destinations that are NOT preprogramed into the unit. The etrex allows that . Some road nav units do not.

birdadly
03-15-2012, 11:03 AM
I've read good things on the Etrex as well. My GF and I want to try out geocaching come spring/summer, so I looked into them. I ended up going with a Garmin Dakota 20 package deal at Gander for $200 (after rebate). I see the exact same thing at Cabelas right now for $250.

We've used it once so far, didn't find the geocache, but the Garmin got me in the right spot... our eyes just weren't up for the task of finding the hidden little box (and it was our first time).

So if you want a few more bells and whistles, and touchscreen, take a peek at the Dakota 20 package. -Brad

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-15-2012, 11:18 AM
I got the Garmin eTrex basic version w/o maps this fall for marking ice fishing holes. 99 bucks, works perfect. And an added bonus if you believe in these things- it has a page for the best hunt/fish times.

03-15-2012, 10:46 PM
If you are talking handheld, the etrex are good basic options, I ended up with a garmin oregon 450T, which is an expensive option, (300+), but I had my last one for 10 years, so its a small investment for me. If you are looking just to plug in waypoints and don't need the maps, a basic etrex works. I use mine for geocaching, hunting, fishing, hiking. it has lots of functionality.

The garmin nuvi series are solid units. Check on craigslist, there are always some on there. The newer ones have an on-foot navigation mode, which is nice. Won't have topo type features, but can be used easily for navigating via car then foot. if concerned about leaving it in teh car, saw a nice mount that is essentially a rimmed plate surrounded by a sand filled edge. I think it just sits on dash by friction.

good luck!

crabo
03-18-2012, 11:19 PM
I got some more info on gps this weekend. One of the guys has the Garmin E-Trex, but he likes his Droid phone better. He can load the Garmin data into the phone, and then link to google maps, but the phone is already linked to Google maps.

I had some luck using it, but it is going to take some more work to make my phone work in place of a gps. There were a couple of locations where I couldn't get the phone to lock on. I think it may have been operator error. You can't have much success with a smart phone if you have a dumba$$ running it.