PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to cut open an empty disposable propane tank?

letsmeltlead2693
03-14-2012, 08:58 PM
Anyone here know how to cut open one of those empty blue disposable propane tanks? Those 14.1oz tanks? I have one that I emptied and set a piece of lead on it while there was an object pressing the valve open to empty the vapors out.

ReloaderFred
03-15-2012, 02:02 AM
There are probably still propane vapors inside, so any spark could ignite them. I'd cut it open under water, though that would be pretty sloppy. At least there wouldn't be any possibility of sparks that way.

I'm sure someone will come along who has cut open a propane bottle and tell you how they did it and kept all their fingers, eyebrows, etc.

Hope this helps.

Fred

.357MAN
03-15-2012, 02:40 AM
Don't cut it open. Any amount of fumes left in the can will explode if ignited by sparks or intense heat. I have no idea how violent it could explode but it's always better to be safe and have all your eyes and fingers. Just to let you know, the only way to safely cut or weld a container that contains or at any point contained flammable gas is to empty the gas, and fill the container completely with water to displace the fumes. I don't know now you could get water into one of those propane tanks, so I would use something else for what ever your doing.

Be safe,
.357MAN

Mooseman
03-15-2012, 02:55 AM
ANY time you work on a container or tank or drum that has had flammable gas or liquids, certain precautions must be taken. I have welded many fuel tanks (gasoline and Diesel)and I used Carbon dioxide pumped in/venting while the work was being performed so there is no oxygen and no chance of explosion. The Tanks had open ventilation for the CO2 , they werent sealed like a propane tank is , especially the small Bottles with 2 valves. Water filled may be fine for sawing it slowly with a Horizontal bandsaw or a Sawzall , but a large pipe cutter would be best IMHO.

nanuk
03-15-2012, 04:21 AM
remember, propane is heavier than air, so if the bottle was upright, you still have propane in there, and now, because you had an open valve, you may have AIR in there also.

it would have been better to not vent it, that way you only risk fire, and not an explosion.

Mooseman's idea of a big pipe cutter merits considerable thought.

question: Why are you doing this?

rollmyown
03-15-2012, 05:58 AM
Unscrew the valve out of the cylinder. Fill with water until over flowing.
This displaces all the gas.( Add some detergent to reduce surface tension.)
Cut with an angle grinder (cutting disk).
That's how I hid mine, and nothing went bang.

(my tank was a refillable propane tank)

Reload3006
03-15-2012, 07:43 AM
Because of the properties of Propane gas a lot of these (I assume your talking about the 1lb camp stove cylinders) are tossed or believed to be empty when they are actually still half full. They do have a pressure release vent valve but still cutting one of these things open could result in severe injury or death for you or one of your family members... If you just absolutely have to cut one in half +1 with the big pipe cutter.

shotman
03-15-2012, 08:01 AM
I f you know a plumber he will have a pipe cutter that will do it easy

Sasquatch-1
03-15-2012, 08:09 AM
I don't know how to cut it open, but may I ask what you plan on using it for? There are probably better alternative out there.

RKJ
03-15-2012, 09:08 AM
I got an old freon bottle that I had a local shop cut open on a chop saw. That isn't the true name but I can't recall what it was called. It was like an oil cooled horizontal cutting band saw. I would contact some local HVAC shops to see if tthey have any that they would give away.

Lead Freak
03-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Take it outside, step back about 20 paces, unholster your gat and place a neat round hole in an area of the tank that you're going to throw away. Now, cut it any way you want to. Don't forget your safety glasses!

Wayne Smith
03-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Take it outside, step back about 20 paces, unholster your gat and place a neat round hole in an area of the tank that you're going to throw away. Now, cut it any way you want to. Don't forget your safety glasses!

DON'T do that!! Wrong on any number of levels.

zuke
03-15-2012, 09:57 AM

Where's your sense of adventure!!! :guntootsmiley:

Lead Freak
03-15-2012, 09:59 AM

Alright, make that 22 paces.

bumpo628
03-15-2012, 10:25 AM
I just noticed that he is referring to one of those small propane tanks.

letsmeltlead2693
03-15-2012, 02:43 PM
I want to make the propane tank I have into a crucible for the aluminum melting furnace I am planning on building. I had the tank upside down so the gas will sink as I knew propane is more dense than air when I was letting the excess gas escape.

Revolver
03-15-2012, 03:41 PM
I want to make the propane tank I have into a crucible for the aluminum melting furnace I am planning on building. I had the tank upside down so the gas will sink as I knew propane is more dense than air when I was letting the excess gas escape.

A buddy uses them for aluminum crucibles too, they only last a few firings. I just asked how he deals with them.

He taps part of the upper curved part with a hammer to make a small dent then sprays with WD40 and drills a small hole with a drill bit. At that point you can fill with water or do what you please.

Still sounds risky to me... but :redneck:

Rockchucker
03-15-2012, 04:10 PM
If you have access to a vacuum pump and the right connectors, I don't see why it wouldn't work for removing all the vapors inside the tank, just an idea.

runfiverun
03-15-2012, 05:26 PM
i am a journeyman pipe fitter and i have never seen a pipe cutter that big.
fill it with water...
by the way, gas will hydrolize in water, turning water flammable.
use a portaband.

oneokie
03-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Anyone here know how to cut open one of those empty blue disposable propane tanks? Those 14.1oz tanks? I have one that I emptied and set a piece of lead on it while there was an object pressing the valve open to empty the vapors out.

Are you talking about the cylinders for the hand held propane torches? If you are, either a large pipe cutter or a muffler/tail pipe cutter will work. Those cylinders will not hold much aluminum.

wgr
03-15-2012, 05:59 PM
fill it with water...
use a portaband.

i have one that will cut 5in pipe

Mooseman
03-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Those cylinders are under 4 inches...http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Heavy-Duty-4-Wheel-Pipe-Cutters

troy_mclure
03-15-2012, 06:14 PM
I've done it several times. I've used a hacksaw every time. Once I picked up the wrong cylinder and cut one 1/2 full. I got a bit of frostbite on my fingers from that. I never emptied any of them. I've also shot many of them full and empty. Even placed in a hot fire and shot they don't blow up, mostly put out the fire and spin around.

Mooseman
03-15-2012, 06:19 PM
I've done it several times. I've used a hacksaw every time. Once I picked up the wrong cylinder and cut one 1/2 full. I got a bit of frostbite on my fingers from that. I never emptied any of them. I've also shot many of them full and empty. Even placed in a hot fire and shot they don't blow up, mostly put out the fire and spin around.

SO you openly admit to being Dangerous to be around ???[smilie=1:

GP100man
03-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Go to the plumbing store get a reducer for 2 1/2" pipe to 1" screw in a 1" plug , add pipe as needed.

When fired the first time stay clear of the fumes as it`ll be galvanized burning off.

GP100man
03-15-2012, 09:02 PM

Sometimes they windup in the darnedest places !!!!:veryconfu

Nuttin like throwing a handfull of 22s in a campfire when everyones backed up to it trying to warm !!!

Things seem funny when your younger & dumber !!!

Now all I get is a bad case of the "What If`s" !!!!

:popcorn:

shotman
03-15-2012, 09:14 PM
come on now a pipe fitter and hasnt cut 3in this isnt a grill tank

KYCaster
03-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Alright, make that 22 paces.

Make it 150 paces.....and get under a roof before you shoot! ;-)

Jerry

dnotarianni
03-16-2012, 08:37 AM
Instead of getting into cutting a small cyl that will have a short life for your application why not just get a piece of 3 or 4" pipe and have your local welder weld a plug on the bottom. Long life for both you and the pot. When I cut propane cylinders for pots and grills I pull the valve and fill with water and dish soap and leave alone for a week then drain and purge with CO2 while cutting. 53 and still have all body parts!
Dave

zuke
03-16-2012, 02:31 PM
How I cut one was to open the vent slowly and come back a couple day's later.
While it's still open fill it to overflowing a couple time's from a garden hose.
Then unscrew the valve,it's brass so keep it for a scrap run!
Once unscrewed if you smell any propane fill'er up again and leave it overnight,if that make's you feel better.
Figure out where your gonna cut it,get the grinder and a cut off disk and go to it!
It'll take about 7-10 minute's do cut it.

mud lake
03-17-2012, 02:39 AM
A nitrogren purge was the safety requirement whenever we cut into any vessel at Prudhoe Bay - then only after a complete inspection by the Safety Department and holy water being sprinkled on by a half-dozen experts. I remember a man killed in a refinery down in Texas years ago when he fired up a cutting torch before getting the okay from Safety. Remember, like Mother Nature industrial physics are unforgiving B- itches!

geargnasher
03-17-2012, 03:17 AM
Graphite crucibles aren't that expensive, and bean cans are almost as good as propane cylinders for melting aluminum.

I've cut open hundreds of spin-on engine oil filters with purpose-made chain cutters similar to those that the exhaust guys use for making on-car cuts in tight places, that might work as well.

Gear

nanuk
03-17-2012, 06:31 AM
Nuttin like throwing a handfull of 22s in a campfire when everyones backed up to it trying to warm !!!
:popcorn:

one night during a moose hunt, a buddy dumped out his packsack into the fire pot.

BANG>>>

He sez it was prolly a ketchup pack...

it left about 50 dents on the firepot.

we found a shotgun shell head in the pot next morning.

lucky no one lost an eye. we were all sitting around within 5 ft of the pot, and were a 3 hour boat ride to the trucks, and a 2.5 hour drive to a hospital. It was the middle of the night, and it was snowing heavily.

Mal Paso
03-17-2012, 12:12 PM
fill it with water...
use a portaband.

A Rigid 4-S would do the job.:wink:

Flinchrock
03-18-2012, 12:45 PM

But a LOT of fun!

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-20-2012, 12:20 AM
Yeah, an exhaust shop that does hot rod diesel work should have a tube cutter to make that easy as pie

maglvr
03-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Hand powered hacksaw, take ya all of 2 minutes.
Done it many times.

fowl_language
03-21-2012, 04:38 AM
I've shot a couple with my .243 at 200 yards just to see what would happen (1 lb disposables). As many have indicated they want to step back far, I thought so too that's why I did it I wanted a bang...needless to say nothing happened with any of them. Unless you have tracers in your sidearm you'll probably be ok.

Now that being said, I do not condone or support the use of firearms to waste good propane, it was a few years back i've learned what money is and trained some brain cells. Oh yeah...I suppose it could be dangerous too.

I would suggest if you're looking for something for the Al, maybe an old oxygen tank or similar? They are generally much thicker and larger, then just cut with ox/acet.

letsmeltlead2693
03-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Lets be realistic, I live in Nashville, you shoot a gun a the cops are on you like iron to a neodymium magnet. Don't have a gun to shoot, can't make a fire as I am not trying to kill myself. Can I use a pipe cutter to score the valve or neck of the tank then hammer it off since scoring it would make it weaker?

Freightman
03-21-2012, 05:33 PM
Did a search and came up with a graphite crucible for $45 shipped might be cheaper than a ride to the hospital or worse to the morgue.

plmitch
03-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Did a search and came up with a graphite crucible for $45 shipped might be cheaper than a ride to the hospital or worse to the morgue.

Thats some sound advice right there. Take it.

Springfield
03-21-2012, 05:56 PM
I've got a bunch of cast iron cornbread moulds, why don't you just buy them and save yourself a whole lot of trouble?

MBTcustom
03-21-2012, 06:00 PM
People who try to get everything for free are a problem. Sometimes a self correcting problem.

plmitch
03-21-2012, 06:11 PM
I've got a bunch of cast iron cornbread moulds, why don't you just buy them and save yourself a whole lot of trouble?

There you go.

jonas302
03-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Depends on if you have the area to do it if it was me I would put a small hole in it with maybe a 22 or pellet gun throw it in a bonfire and let it roast pick it out the next day and do as you please

letsmeltlead2693
03-21-2012, 08:46 PM
Wouldn't one of those cast iron cup things work? The things with three legs and has a handle on it. Here is the link to understand what I am talking about https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=prologic&idProduct=3966.

Cadapult
03-21-2012, 10:09 PM
If you have a welding supplier near by check the cost of an oxygen or acetylene cylinder cover. My son used one as a crucible and melted down about 20 pounds of soda cans in it before a pinhole burned through it. I welded up the hole and he's kept going. It should last longer than the propane tank, be pretty cheap, and not subject you to stern comments from forum members. ;^)
Cadapult

nelsonted1
03-22-2012, 01:41 AM
My brother has a body shop and has tried welding leaky gas tanks. He'd always take them off the car and fill them with water. He had one blow up from flat to round. He said it scared him witless and won't do it anymore.

We had some upright propane we used in the 1960s for the kitchen stove. they were about 31/2 feet tall. I decided I needed a cauldron to melt wheelwieghts in. I stared at the chosen tank for a long time before I started on the project.

First I shot a hole through it with a rifle. Then hooked up the air compressor and ran air through it for quite awhile. Then ran water through it. Finally got Dad to stand a ways back and watch me cut it in 1/2 with a sawzall. He stood back so if it whoomped and blew my seams Dad would be the witness to my demise. Worked fine but I was very unsettled doing the deed. Those tanks hadn't had propane in them 35 years at least and i was still scared.

I had a tremendous amount of fun telling the guys in the neighborhood I was going to cut a propane tank that hadn't been used in 35 years in 1/2. Man, the explosion of "Don't you dares!" I got from people.

Longwood
03-22-2012, 02:21 AM
I used to live where I could make good money here in California.
I spent nearly every weekend camping out somewhere to escape the madness.
I made several "Tree's" with two stove connections and a light connection on top.
All of the connections were the threaded screw on tops from the little portable bottles.
The first ones I cut in a big fabricators band saw that had a hydraulic cylinder that would let me set the feed rate.
I would set it with the blade about an inch high and walk a short distance away as the saw slowly lowered and cut the bottles. That saw ran at many feet per second faster than I could ever duplicate with a hand hack saw

Blue Hill
03-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Unscrew the valve out of the cylinder. Fill with water until over flowing.
This displaces all the gas.( Add some detergent to reduce surface tension.)
Cut with an angle grinder (cutting disk).
That's how I hid mine, and nothing went bang.

(my tank was a refillable propane tank)

Rollmyown has it right. That's all you need to do. The valve will be brass, so no sparks. Empty the tank, unscrew the valve. I left mine sitting upside down in the sun for a day just cause I'm anal. Do the water thing. I dropped a lit match in mine after all of the above. No issues.
Blue

adrians
03-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Rollmyown has it right. That's all you need to do. The valve will be brass, so no sparks. Empty the tank, unscrew the valve. I left mine sitting upside down in the sun for a day just cause I'm anal. Do the water thing. I dropped a lit match in mine after all of the above. No issues.
Blue

just did another one this weekend...... no honeydoos , old empty tank, plenty of time to mess around :Bright idea:
i use an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel,,,, took about 10 minutes . :drinks:

zxcvbob
03-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Don't those little disposable tanks have a Schrader valve in the top (not the main flange, but off to the side for a vent)? Unscrew the core and you can fill the tank with water. Then cut it however you want.

Longwood
03-25-2012, 10:29 PM
Don't those little disposable tanks have a Schrader valve in the top (not the main flange, but off to the side for a vent)? Unscrew the core and you can fill the tank with water. Then cut it however you want.

Actually,,, There is a schrader valve in the top.
There is a plastic tube pressed in after it.
That valve on the side works in the opposite direction.
Safety pop off.
It can be pulled to release trapped air when refilling the little tanks.

orry
03-26-2012, 01:26 AM
ok just from what im hearing , ill tell ya this much , its a lot simpler than you are making it ,

like all flammable substances it has an enemy ,, water

take a punch/railroad spike/ hunting knife/ect

punch a large hole in the tank , allow it to fill with soap water , empty , repeat.

then while its still soaking wet , hit it with a grinder.

i did this with a 20lb cylinder to make a crude charcoal furnace for melting brass , it worked , but not for long as it was run over with a triaxel.

so yes , punch a hole in it fill with soap water , and cut . also try to ignore the rambling grammatical errors of one who posts advise at 0130hours.

Blue Hill
03-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Ok Orry.
I'd be a little careful about punching a hole in a steel propane tank with a steel anything, thinking of the sparks I might create and any propane residue still left in the tank. If it hasn't went poof by the time you got a hole punched in it, you likely don't need the water.
Just my humble opinion, likely worth about what you paid for it.

MarkW
04-13-2012, 02:13 AM
As has already been mentioned, the 1 pound bottles are perfectly safe to cut with a hacksaw.

If you still do not believe me, toss one of them into a fire and notice that it does not look much different when the fire burns out. About teh only thing I would say is to run a drywall screw into the valve to get it to purge, but even that isn't completely necessary.

dnotarianni
04-13-2012, 08:12 AM
As has already been mentioned, the 1 pound bottles are perfectly safe to cut with a hacksaw.

If you still do not believe me, toss one of them into a fire and notice that it does not look much different when the fire burns out. About teh only thing I would say is to run a drywall screw into the valve to get it to purge, but even that isn't completely necessary.

Before you toss that tank in a fire please leave all your reloading and casting stuff to me in your will.
Thanks
Dave

Blue Hill
04-14-2012, 09:29 PM
:goodpost:+1 to what Dave said and since he asked first, yeah leave all your RL and casting stuff to him in your will, but if you have any nice guns...:mrgreen:
Blue

bullethead
04-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Do you have an idiot brother-in-law?

letsmeltlead2693
04-17-2012, 12:08 AM
I cut a hole in the tank last week, no explosions and the tank is ready to be cut.

zxcvbob
04-17-2012, 12:56 AM
Do you have an idiot brother-in-law?

Doesn't everyone? (just ask your wife's sister!)

gotin
04-20-2012, 10:24 PM
I did it for my melting pot.
Run it on a barbecue grill until its empty. Then screw in an open end hose in, there is a pressure valve that will prevent gas leaks if it is not connected to an appliance even after you open the valve.
There is always some gas inside, so leave it open for a day or two, upside down, so the heavy gas can get out.
Spray WD40 on the valve, leave it for a day or two. I had to tie it with straps to a pallet and used a monkey wrench with a long extension pipe to break the locktite on the valve treads, after that it unscrews easy.
After you remove the valve, again leave in the open upside down for a day or two. Filing it with water 2 or 3 times is also a good idea, it pushes all the gas out.
Then just use an angle grinder or a metal cutting circular saw to cut it.
Just in case, make sure the valve hole is pointed away from anything important.

Cutting mine was easy, I had to cut it pretty shallow so I can melt range lead, too deep and I could not scoop the jackets out, now it holds about 50-60 lbs of lead.

badbob454
04-20-2012, 11:34 PM
take it to a muffler man he has a pipe cutter that works like a tubing cutter , no sparks no heat ... it looks like a chain type oil filter wrench with sharp rollers ...

floydboy
05-22-2012, 03:58 PM
I opened the valve and sat it upside down for a day or two. Filled it with water and let it drain for another day or two. Tried to take the valve off but couldn't get it to budge. Ended up building a small fire and threw it in with the valve open just to make sure it would not blow up. After it cooled off I cut it with a torch with absolutely no problems but would not advise anyone trying this. If you are going to do it I would put it in fire of some sort first.

dnotarianni
05-22-2012, 05:47 PM
If you put it in the fire first you won't have to cut it open later!:kidding:

uccm25
05-22-2012, 07:19 PM
It's funny this subject should come up. I had an old Mapp gas cyl. that had a lot of rust and dirt in the port and wouldn't seal on my burner nozzle even after trying to clean it. What do I do??? I took it down to my bottom ground, stuck it in a tree crotch, backed off 50 paces, and shot a hole thru it with a .22. It did a couple of flips, landed on the ground, and emptied itself. Don't try this unless you're a Veteran. Now I can turn it in for salvage.
I think the pipe with piece of plate welded on the bottom is a better solution for your aluminiun casting. Regards and God bless all...

Guy

Plate plinker
06-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Bam... Just shoot it.

jmorris
06-18-2012, 08:19 AM
I read your post so I understand what tanks you are talking about, I have a pipe cutter that is large enough to cut them open but I have always used a band saw. I have only used two methods to ensure they didn't blow up on me. One was the bullet hole method above the other was burning them. I wouldn't tell my kids to do either but both have worked for me.

jimb1972
06-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Why not just use a piece of 3 or 4 inch black pipe with a cap screwed on one end?

whtsmoke
06-26-2012, 07:25 PM
single wrap of det cord and stand way back.

Salmon-boy
06-29-2012, 04:49 PM
Ok, I'll add my session of idiocy here. I've done 3 or 4 disposable oxygen bottles without incident, so will be doing a couple of empty propane bottles too.

1) Screw in a torch-head and open the valve. Make certain nothing is coming out.
2) Clamp securely in a vice.
3) With a hacksaw, slowly cut through the steel until there is a hole.
4) Wait 5 min.
5) Continue till there's a 1 inch hole.
6) remove torch head and purge with water.
7) Wait 5 min.
8) While still full of water, continue hacksawing until top falls off.

I've done this with both a hacksaw and a Grizzly power bandsaw. Your mileage may vary. I am not, and will not be held responsible for your stupidity. Do not smoke while performing the operation described herein. Please keep hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times. Not responsible for typographic errors. No animals were harmed in the testing of this procedure, but a few lawyers are probably cringing/salivating somewhere..