PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy puzzle and brain lapse.

DLCTEX
03-14-2012, 02:40 PM
I loaded some various test loads for my 222 over a year ago and took it with several other guns down to a friends ranch to try out after completing some work there. When I got to shoot the 222 it was all over the place, even with loads that had shown promise before. I brought it home and put it in the safe, planning to get back to it. Last week a thread on the 22 Bator boolit at 2800 fps spurred me to give it another go. I realized I had not cleaned the gun since I bought it used years ago. I suspected the problem was leading over copper fouling, but even though the bore was very dirty with powder residue, I found no leading or copper of significance. I took a new load and and one that had shown some promise of accuracy in the past. No joy at 50 yds. I then began to go over the gun and found the scope mounting screws loose. The front was about to fall off. The gun had been right on for years, but that is no excuse. That is the first thing to check when accuracy suddenly goes south. Now I'm ready to get serious with the pursuit of accuracy just as soon as my allergy problems will let me venture out to shoot. Yesterday I went into apoplectic shock and went to the emergency room. Can't venture out until the pollen count drops at least.

Silvercreek Farmer
03-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Glad your alright! A defective scope on my .22 had me chasing my tail for weeks and 1500 rds! It would shoot fine for a few rounds then start tossing fliers, I just assumed it was me. I sure felt dumb when I figured it all out!

Sonnypie
03-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Scope mounts, like lug nuts, should be checked periodically.
Hope that fixed it for ya. Might should check other things as well.

And next time... no supper for you until the guns are cleaned and stored. :evil:

:bigsmyl2:
I must admit, I deprime and start a load of brass cleaning. Then clean my guns and store them. Then continue with my reloading. But the guns are cleaned and stored, ready to work before I retire.
Empty brass is is NOT something to sit around for me. When wolves are at the door is NOT the time to load up ammo to shoot them with.

mnkyracer
03-15-2012, 12:31 AM
Had the same thing happen with my dad's H&R .22 hornet. Finally disassembled the gun to do a THOROUGH cleaning and the scope base dang near fell off.

Grandpas50AE
03-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Had that happen (scope mounts) years ago, as well as frame screws backing out on the SBH. Put some Teflon ribbon on the screw threads of scope mounts and frame screws, and never had any back out on their own again.

Hope the allergies get some relief for you soon, my oldest son has them pretty bad too.

williamwaco
03-15-2012, 08:10 PM
I then began to go over the gun and found the scope mounting screws loose. The front was about to fall off. The gun had been right on for years, but that is no excuse. That is the first thing to check when accuracy suddenly goes south.[/COLOR] Now I'm ready to get serious with the pursuit of accuracy just as soon as my allergy problems will let me venture out to shoot. Yesterday I went into apoplectic shock and went to the emergency room. Can't venture out until the pollen count drops at least.

This has happened to me so many times, It is now the FIRST thing I check.

1Shirt
03-15-2012, 08:37 PM
It pays to grab the scope with one hand and see if you can get any movement. I believe in locktite or finger nail polish on mounts and bases.
1Shirt!