PDA

View Full Version : Sizing for 9mm

Lead Freak
03-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks to Beagle for his great article on loads for the Ruger Blackhawk Convertible .357/9mm, specically the 9mm loads. Sizing the 9mm to .358 was the answer to my key holing problem. The .358 fits like a glove in the cylinder and using the Lee 9mm factory crimp die assures that they chamber well. Here's my question - I'm also loading 9mm for a Kel Tec PF9 and am having similar performance issues such as flyers and key holing. I have been casting a Lee TL 356-125gr truncated cone boolit and tried loading without sizing and sizing to .356. The boolit casts at about .357. The barrel on my Kel Tec slugs at .357 to .3575. Since the loaded rounds with the .358 boolits feed and chamber easily, could I be taking a risk by trying to blast a .358 boolit down a .3575 barrel, especially in a thin semi-autoloader? Maybe a Randsom Rest with a 30ft lanyard would be called for on the first shot. :D:dung_hits_fan:

beagle
03-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Should be no problem at all if you're using your standard load. Plus .001" in diameter shouldn't make a great deal of difference unless you're running top of the line high pressure loads. Naturally, it will make some difference in pressure but unless you're really pushing it, it should work all right. If you're queasy about it, drop back a bit and work up to functioning.

If it were me, I'd shoot it./beagle

runfiverun
03-14-2012, 02:00 PM
i'd have went to that size to start.
.001 in size will raise pressures about 300 psi,i think the gun can handle that increase.

sig2009
03-14-2012, 04:37 PM
The Lee Factory Crimp die is a NO NO with cast bullets! It swages the lead!

casterofboolits
03-14-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm starting to think a 30 foot lanyard for a KelTec PF-9 may be a required safety feature! :idea

Boolseye
03-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Yeah, what everyone else said. no problem at all.

also +1 on no factory crimp for cast. Case-swages the bullet, probably canceling the extra size on those .358s.. Feel free to p.m. me if you want my technique for converting a FCD to a straight crimp die with no carbide ring (you need a spare expander die body to do it). 'course, if they're shootin' good, keep usin' it!
-jp

MtGun44
03-14-2012, 07:42 PM
LOL "trying to blast a .358 boolit down a .3575" barrel" :bigsmyl2:

This is probably not enough oversized to work well, NOT too big, barely OK or too small.

Bill

noylj
03-14-2012, 10:49 PM
There are many excellent .358" molds, but most are 158gn and up, that don't need any beagling or whatever.
The Lee 358-125-SWC is great in 9x19 and the 358-140-SWC is just the thing in .38 Super. The 140gn TC molds for Cowboy Action should also be good.
I keep asking Lee to bring out a 358-125-SWC, but they ignore me...

williamwaco
03-16-2012, 11:52 AM
LOL "trying to blast a .358 boolit down a .3575" barrel" :bigsmyl2:

This is probably not enough oversized to work well, NOT too big, barely OK or too small.

Bill

DITTO!
If your barrel is really .3575 I would start with .359.

Are you sure of that slug. I have never seen one that large.
( But I have never slugged a Kel-Tech. )

Shiloh
03-16-2012, 09:47 PM
The Lee Factory Crimp die is a NO NO with cast bullets! It swages the lead!

I use it just to close the case mouth bell.

Shiloh

MtGun44
03-17-2012, 01:33 AM
The Lee factory crimp die CANNOT be used "to just close the case mouth bell". You are
still pushing the case through the sizing ring. In some situations, with some mixes of
brass wall thickness, boolit diameter, etc, the sizing ring will size down the boolit in the
case and ruin the ammo. No way to get to the taper crimp part of the Lee pistol type
FCD without pushing the boolit through the sizing ring. If you are getting away with it,
then good on you. Not everybody does. A plain taper crimp die will do the same job
without the risk to the ammo of over sizing the case.

Bill

Jailer
03-17-2012, 08:02 AM
The Lee factory crimp die CANNOT be used "to just close the case mouth bell". .

Bill

You can if you just run the bell up into the the sizing ring enough to remove the bell instead of running the whole case through. Not the best situation but it does work.

I did this while I was waiting for my taper crimp die to be delivered.

Shiloh
03-17-2012, 11:58 AM
The Lee factory crimp die CANNOT be used "to just close the case mouth bell". You are
still pushing the case through the sizing ring. In some situations, with some mixes of
brass wall thickness, boolit diameter, etc, the sizing ring will size down the boolit in the
case and ruin the ammo. No way to get to the taper crimp part of the Lee pistol type
FCD without pushing the boolit through the sizing ring. If you are getting away with it,
then good on you. Not everybody does. A plain taper crimp die will do the same job
without the risk to the ammo of over sizing the case.

Bill

We must be talking about two different dies. Mine is a taper crimp die. I suppose i am using the term interchangeably

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/catid/4/pid/24445/?viewImg=0

I'm using these dies. Dillon is calling it a taper crimp die.
I still just close the bell with it. Don't really need a heavy crimp

SHiloh

Boolseye
03-17-2012, 12:20 PM
We must be talking about two different dies. Mine is a taper crimp die. I suppose i am using the term interchangeably

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...445/?viewImg=0

I'm using these dies. Dillon is calling it a taper crimp die.
I still just close the bell with it. Don't really need a heavy crimp

SHiloh

The Dillon is a different animal. We were responding to the OP's mention of the Lee Factory Crimp, which post-sizes the entire case, in addition to adding a crimp.