PDA

View Full Version : Using chilled lead shot.........

redbear705
03-26-2007, 11:36 AM
I tried adding some chilled lead shot to my mix (which was cleaned and fluxed) and a couple of minutes later I had a layer of what looks like rust flakes floating on top.

I skimmed them off and another minute had more of this stuff but less then the initial amount.

Is there something in this shot?

The reason I added the shot was to get some arsenic in the mix so I can oven harden them.

Any Ideas as to the red colored flakes?

Thanks JR

OLPDon
03-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Don't recall for sure what the coating is on lead shot if memory serves me correct Grafite is the coating on lead Shot. I'm sure someone will chime in on this.
Don

snuffy
03-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Yup, it's graphite. Since that means it's basically carbon, I don't know how carbon reacts to being heated to that extent.

But this brings up a question.? Does it matter if the shot used is just " chilled", or does it need to be magnum shot? Do both contain the saught after arsenic?

I was once given some 5# bags of number 2 chilled shot. No use for it, since we can't shoot lead for waterfowl anymore. If it would allow me to heat treat my alloy, I would use it up that way.

Scrounger
03-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Yup, it's graphite. Since that means it's basically carbon, I don't know how carbon reacts to being heated to that extent.

But this brings up a question.? Does it matter if the shot used is just " chilled", or does it need to be magnum shot? Do both contain the saught after arsenic?

I was once given some 5# bags of number 2 chilled shot. No use for it, since we can't shoot lead for waterfowl anymore. If it would allow me to heat treat my alloy, I would use it up that way.

Your chilled shot has Antimony in it, 5 to 7 percent if I remember correctly. Add a little tin and you have Lyman #2.

uscra112
03-26-2007, 04:14 PM
I've read that the addition of arsenic was increase the surface tension so that dropped shot would be more spherical when it hit the water tank. Since most shot isn't made in shot towers anymore, I'd want to wonder whether it still has any arsenic in it.