PDA

View Full Version : attn Arkansas

Harter66
03-13-2012, 05:54 PM
My Dad bought/is buying a place in Ark. In looking at the hunting regs I didn't see any defined "legal weapons".

Can you asst me ? Ours can get complicated long/short is long cased magnum pistols w/4"+bbl,357,41,44,44-40,45 Colts etc. More or less 22-250 and up for rifles. 45 cal plus for ML. Shot guns are more or less 20-10ga.

Rusty W
03-13-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm next door, sorta. Here's a link that may help.
http://www.agfc.com/Pages/default.aspx

Harter66
03-13-2012, 06:10 PM
I might have missed it somehow but that was where I was looking. I'm sure about anything in my stash would do but wanted to be sure.

felix
03-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Missouri is anything equal to .243 or larger. I don't think they have BR cartridges in mind, though. No crossbows in the old days, but maybe now. Missouri has/had the most regarded Conservation (Fish and Game) branch of govt in the Country. Arkansas and a lot of states are modelling Missouri as politics allow. Also, Missouri started the game swaps 50 years ago, and Arkansas quickly followed. Arkansas now has ELK, and lots of them believe it or not! ... felix

Harter66
03-13-2012, 06:52 PM
In my personal hoard the lightest rifle is a 32 Rem,kind of and AI rimless 32 Win spcl.that came along about the time Akley got long pants. I think I live about the only place in the 48 that the 30-30,223 and 22-250 all get lumped together in the legal gray area of minimums. By definition in print the 256 Win Mag is a go for big game but the 10mm and 45 Mag (the long ACP) are not.

Off track I guess. I wanted to be sure there wasn't something odd like Colorados 2dia bullet length rule for Ml or no RB .

newton
03-16-2012, 04:30 PM
http://www.agfc.com/resources/GuidebookDocs/hunt2012p19-28.pdf

Page 23 should give you what you are looking for. There is not a "long" list as some states have. And, depending on the species, you have to look under their 'section' and there will be some additional rules stated. The link just provides the basic rules. For instance, you can in no way shape or form hunt with a pistol with a barrel shorter than 4".

If you have a specific question I can help you out, I am not good with just generic questions.

popper
03-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Felix - Texas wins in gov control, state and local. With 97% private land the rules don't mean much. Texas is the official paid hunt state. Probably has the most unused guns of any state.

Arceagle
03-25-2012, 05:18 AM
Welcome to Arkansas Harter66 and Dad. Lots of good hunting here, fair rules and limits. Choice of weapons shouldn't be a problem. My only complaints were the season dates. Everybody at work is trying to get vacation for Deer season at the same time and everyone can't be off at the same time. I Bow hunt too so season opening and closing dates are not a big deal to me- October through January.

Where will ya'll (proper Arkansas word get used to it) be hunting? Delta or Mountains? Good Deer everywhere Turkeys however are in a serious decline. Hope you like to varmint hunt, killing the killers of turkeys will be the best thing to help bring their numbers back.

Harter66
03-25-2012, 08:41 AM
My Dad bought a place near Meno (Sp) . By his description mountains.

Arceagle
03-26-2012, 06:01 AM
Couldn't find a Meno on the map. There is a Mena on the West side of the state . It sets just on the edge of the Ouachita National Forest. Lots of Wild life managment areas nearby as well. You won't be far from Oklahoma, Texas and Louisianna (LA) as well.

I'm in North Central Arkansas but I used to have a lease in LA. That was some fun hunting down there. They have a primitive weapons season that allows Black Powder Cartridge type Rifles if the design was from before the turn of the century. LA's firearm deer season starts mid to late October and runs to the end of January with a six deer limit. We have a 2 deer limit in AR with very mixed up and confusing limits all depending on where you are. The Zone I live in only allows 1 buck and no does. Down the road 20 miles I bow hunt in a deer managment area where I am encouraged to shoot all the does I can but can still shoot 2 bucks. The does I shoot in the managment program don't even come of of my state limits. Several towns and parks also have these programs due to over population and have a early bow season that the does do not count on your state limits. Most of these programs you have to shoot a doe before you can shoot a buck but rules vary from program to program.

All in all I think you will find all the hunting you could ever want.

newton
03-26-2012, 11:55 PM
Sounds like the ozark national forest will be the place closest by. If he got some property in there your good to go. That part of the forest has some good pig numbers in it. I hunt, deer camp, toward the middle part of the forest above Clarksville each year. Lots of woods and some beautiful country. You'll be happy.

Harter66
03-27-2012, 06:33 AM
Thanks guys ,
I'm in Tx at the moment after a hog. I'm not real sure that my hosts actually do/have done a lot of hunting,they are amazing w/the help they have given us.

I'm pretty sure the Ar land will be a legacy hunting place. Then again life is full of suprises . This trip has been a whole new expirence . So I expect learning to hunt Ar will be like starting from nothing.

Arceagle
04-06-2012, 03:37 AM
Sounds like the ozark national forest will be the place closest by. If he got some property in there your good to go. That part of the forest has some good pig numbers in it. I hunt, deer camp, toward the middle part of the forest above Clarksville each year. Lots of woods and some beautiful country. You'll be happy.

Newton, I've been wanting to hunt that area but knees are in pretty bad shape anymore. Is there ATV access in that area?