PDA

View Full Version : This Could Be Our Town For Real

Blacksmith
03-13-2012, 04:48 PM
What do you think?
Buford, Wyoming up for auction.
http://boingboing.net/2012/03/13/buford-wyoming-up-for-auction.html

We would need to annex some additional land Or maybe we could invade!

Bloodman14
03-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Saddle up!

Tom-ADC
03-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Saw that pretty neat.

Love Life
03-13-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm in.

rockrat
03-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Castboolits, Wyoming!!!

Love Life
03-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Oh no!! If Rockrat moves in I'll be broke from buying all the cool stuff he comes across!

GRUMPA
03-13-2012, 07:13 PM
With my luck if I chipped in on it, I would find out latter that it use to be called Tornado Alley or Cesspool Springs or some nonsense like that. And generally there would have been a good reason why it got its nick name.

GaryN
03-13-2012, 07:23 PM
In some of those places in Wyo. the wind never stops blowing. Also notice the elevation. That means it's a cold wind. But they have some great hunting in some areas and lots of open space. And another plus: no neighbors, at least not yet.

Love Life
03-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Aww man. I hate the wind.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Just think if all 20,000 castboolits members moved there.
the scrounging of WW would be tough sleddin' fur sur !
Jon

starmac
03-13-2012, 09:20 PM
In a good wyoming wind, you have to tie your wheel weights down, even when they are still hooked to the car.

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Jon

No you got it all wrong, we could have one hell of agroup buy and save the shipping! :bigsmyl2:

geargnasher
03-13-2012, 11:09 PM
I have a friend in Cheyenne who's been trying to get me to move there for 20 years, or at least long enough to attend their hot-rod school. I told him when they tame that ridiculous blasting, non-stop gale I might consider it. I detest wind, or even a fan blowing in my face, puts my nerves on fire. One reason I left North Texas, which was quite tame compared to some areas of Wyoming. I guess I could live underground!

Gear

Jammer Six
03-14-2012, 12:32 AM
We could pass local legislation, like L.A., D.C. and New York city, requiring everyone to own a rifle and a handgun, unless they had an objection.

Adam10mm
03-14-2012, 12:51 AM
We could pass local legislation, like L.A., D.C. and New York city, requiring everyone to own a rifle and a handgun, unless they had an objection.
Objection means ejection.

Norbrat
03-14-2012, 12:55 AM
In a good wyoming wind, you have to tie your wheel weights down, even when they are still hooked to the car.

Invite "green" power suppliers to build wind generators. You could probably get a grant from the govt and pay for the town with it. [smilie=l:

Jammer Six
03-14-2012, 01:10 AM
Or we could just require folks who didn't carry a weapon to have a license to be unarmed.

They wouldn't even have an amendment to point to...

starmac
03-14-2012, 01:18 AM
Invite "green" power suppliers to build wind generators. You could probably get a grant from the govt and pay for the town with it. [smilie=l:

The wind farms I have been around are foreign owned. lol

We could get the grant to build them and then get the govt to pay us not to produce electricity, like some of the others. lol

runfiverun
03-14-2012, 02:57 AM
i have been in wyoming at 8,000 feet.
the wind is nothing.
wait till winter comes, -20 [at the daytime high] with a 20 mile per hour wind ,oh and you are still standing in mud.
i'll pass. thanks.

Stephen Cohen
03-14-2012, 03:10 AM
Or we could just require folks who didn't carry a weapon to have a license to be unarmed.

Mate I want you to move to Aus, and run for Prime minister, Just love your way of thinking.

Jammer Six
03-14-2012, 06:39 AM
From a city boy's point of view, Buford Wyoming is so far out in the sticks that the sticks themselves petered out, and there aren't even sticks.

You go through the boondocks to the tulies. You go past that until you get to the sticks, and when the sticks run out, you're almost there.

I imagine it would be like the Outback, with the number of things that would hunt you down and kill you greatly reduced.

imashooter2
03-14-2012, 07:35 AM
Jon

But we'd have the strongest Postmen in the nation... [smilie=1:

ErikO
03-14-2012, 08:32 AM

That probably wouldn't generate much revenue. ;)

Local real estate taxes could be inversely proportional to one's ability to shoot. Annual 'Tax Abatement' shoots would be fun. :)

GRUMPA
03-14-2012, 10:28 AM
OUT IN THE STICKS!!!!! you folk talk about it, I live it everyday. OH yeah I also have wind generators as well.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=558&pictureid=4134

ErikO
03-14-2012, 10:54 AM
'Wind Generators' have powered water pumps and other things here in the midwest for a while now. ;)

'The Sticks' will be my mailing address in a few years as long as a few Cunning Plans come to fruition. :)

starmac
03-14-2012, 12:22 PM
Wind generators have been around for a while, my grandparents had one in the 30 and 40s, as did most folks in the area.

letsmeltlead2693
03-14-2012, 01:06 PM
That town if brought from CB members, there should be a law that makes it illegal to throw away lead. It will be punishable by 2 years in jail. Also, there should be a law that makes it mandatory for all the people that melt lead, to be given 500lbs of lead every 6 months by the county recycling center and the town scrapyard.

Love Life
03-14-2012, 01:09 PM
That town if brought from CB members, there should be a law that makes it illegal to throw away lead. It will be punishable by 2 years in jail. Also, there should be a law that makes it mandatory for all the people that melt lead, to be given 500lbs of lead every 6 months by the county recycling center and the town scrapyard.

Sounds like lead welfare to me.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-14-2012, 01:16 PM
I wonder how much crime there would be in a small town "beyond the sticks" where every homeowner not only owned guns, but also cast their own boolits ?

And come on...is it really that windy ?
I've vacationed (camped) in the big horns 3 or 4 times,
it didn't seem that windy.
I loved driving through the wind river canyon...didn't notice
any excessive winds there either.
Jon

Jammer Six
03-14-2012, 01:31 PM
I don't think it should be two years in jail.

I think we should dig a lead mine, and use convict labor.

letsmeltlead2693
03-14-2012, 01:37 PM
Seems like a good idea. The convicts will get lead poisoning because they will be forced to dig 18 hours a day for every day and we will not provide they with dust masks or anything just pickaxes and a hardhat. Al the lead they mine will be processed and then given to all the lead casters in the town.

Love Life
03-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Hmmm. The town started out sounding good, but now not so much.

First throwing away lead is punishable by 2 years in prison?

Then the recycler and scrap yard must give free lead to people? They pay for their lead, and I don't really see a town full of boolit casters turning a bunch of lead into the town scrap yard.

Last with the mining conditions. So you are basically sentencing people to long term health risks and possibly death for throwing away lead?

I don't see that working out to well.

letsmeltlead2693
03-14-2012, 01:41 PM
What do you think would be good for lead laws in the town?

Love Life
03-14-2012, 01:43 PM
There should be no lead laws in the town. If you throw away lead then you throw away lead. I'm sure a town with 20,000 casters would smell the lead in the garbage bag. Also casters can scrounge lead like ususal. Or they can purchase lead with money they EARNED from working.

41 mag fan
03-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Oh man...we could have a nat'l lead cookoff every spring. Bring your best lead, melt it down, cast, and let the judges decide!!

Whoooooweeeee a lead casting hoedown!!

I used to live in Bairoil Wy for a time....30 mi outside Rawlins. Wind blew nonstop.

letsmeltlead2693
03-14-2012, 02:11 PM
The winner get 2000lbs of lead while the contestants will get a consultation prize of 10lbs of lead.

ErikO
03-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Lead Abatement Day would be every Saturday at the town ranges.

The Mayor gets dibs on mining the berms and best parking at all the town ranges. I don't think that any other perks would be needed, right? ;)

ErikO
03-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Also, Galena, WY is an available name. Galena Ridge and Galena Basin are taken, but not Galena, oddly enough.

starmac
03-14-2012, 04:08 PM
And come on...is it really that windy ?

It depends on where you are at in wyoming, but YUP.

xr650
03-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Buford is on I80. Thats not out in the sticks to me.
We do get wind sometimes. Most times it just a breeze though. :razz:

Love Life
03-14-2012, 05:06 PM
I call dibs on running the Gas station.

starmac
03-14-2012, 05:25 PM
I have had the oppurtunity to watch a wyoming BREEZE turn over the truck infront of or coming to meet me more than once. lol

lbaize3
03-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Ok, I'm in. But my old bones probably won't like the cold. Therefore, I will have to run the tavern where a big roaring fireplace keeps all warm and the beer, diet drinks, etc, is sold at cost....

Superfly
03-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Hey We can move 45 Nut there that can be his new place to live What do u think on that

danski26
03-14-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm in! Can I be one of the cops for castboolit town?

danski26
03-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Garbage man would be ok too.

rockrat
03-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Its between Laramie and Cheyenne. Thru there last year. Wind doesn't blow all the time. I am sure that there are 3 or 4 days out of the year it is calm.

Love Life-----its not that bad, is it, me finding stuff that you want!!!LOL Did you buy that bolt 7.62 x 39?

Just think of all the wheel weights falling off the semi's going down I-80, especially if there was a kind of "speed bump" that mysteriously appeared overnight. We could ban iron and zinc wheelweights as a "health hazard".

Jammer Six
03-14-2012, 09:59 PM
I gotta say that after having my conscience poked, I can't abide prosecuting folks who for throwing away lead.

Especially in Our Town.

And thinking it over again, we should encourage folks to throw away lead. We're going to be dealing with severe lead shortages, so we shouldn't be punishing folks for giving us lead...

Isn't there an interstate that runs through Death Bloody Valley?

Proximity to an interstate doesn't mean anything to a hard core, asphalt eating, back-ally City Boy.

What matters are the abilities to order a pizza delivery, fill a prescription, get an emergency vase of a dozen roses to get back in the house, do grocery shopping and drop off the truck for an oil change, all at three in the morning, from a cell phone.

Maybe you missed the capital C and the capital B, and thought I meant some guy who lived near a city once.

starmac
03-14-2012, 10:46 PM
LOL There are some of us that would not be up to that life. lol

For the first time in my adult life, I am living in a city, but not big enough for all that.
My other place is in a town of 250 and even that is crowded. lol

Jammer Six
03-14-2012, 11:15 PM
I forgot buy shoes.

For those long, cold nights when you get thrown out in the snow without your shoes.

Shoes first, then roses.

Love Life
03-14-2012, 11:26 PM
I just want to let everybody know that the local gas station will stock pizza, roses, and shoes!!

Rockrat- I plan on calling them tomorrow. I swear I could ask you if there was flux capacitor powered .14 caliber rifle and you would find one in the local gunshop tomorrow!

starmac
03-14-2012, 11:44 PM
They do not get that much snow through there.
What they do get, they use it until it plumb wears out, it blows one way for a day or so then it blows back across the road for a day or so.

crawfobj
03-14-2012, 11:48 PM
The whole county would slowly sink into the ground faster than Houston is under the weight of all the lead we would all bring with us. All that shifting of weight might introduce some new wobble into the earth's rotation and bring about catastrophic "climate change". Oh wait, that line has already been used. Oh well.

On the plus side, maybe we could get Swede and Miha to open "sales offices" with group buys ordered and picked up in person. The LGS would be a sight to see, I bet!

Charlie Two Tracks
03-15-2012, 06:08 AM
Jammer Six, you have a great idea. You should be mayor! Anyone coming into town should have their vehicle searched and if no gun is found, they would have to purchase one immediately.

Jammer Six
03-15-2012, 07:07 AM
That could work. It sounds like the gas station is going to have me covered for necessities.

btroj
03-15-2012, 07:17 AM
Just looked at a satellite photo of the "city". You won't be thrown out onto the pavement, it doesn't appear there is any pavement. Itlooks like itis an interstate exit wi no paced roads coming off of it. The "town" is pretty much a post office.

I know, I know, I am a total buzz kill. Might be a great place to live, if you are a cow or a rancher.

Jammer Six
03-15-2012, 07:54 AM
I might have to clear some of that hay looking stuff out of my back yard, and pave it over.

GRUMPA
03-15-2012, 09:39 AM
Just looked at a satellite photo of the "city". You won't be thrown out onto the pavement, it doesn't appear there is any pavement. Itlooks like itis an interstate exit wi no paced roads coming off of it. The "town" is pretty much a post office.

I know, I know, I am a total buzz kill. Might be a great place to live, if you are a cow or a rancher.

You just described where I live almost to the last detail. They do however have a PO and a gas station, OH and a bar but I don't really drink.

ErikO
03-15-2012, 10:14 AM
The LGS would be a sight to see, I bet!

Nah, the local Tru Value would be an NFA dealer. ;)

Gun shop? Nah, nothing that specialized. EVERY store would have at least one FFL-holder working at it, I'm sure.

krag35
03-15-2012, 09:04 PM
I'd pony up $25.00 for a group buy.

Rooster
03-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Yeah! Goodwill tours to other towns to pick up their lead waste. Pillars of the environmental community we shall be! We'd only charge them 90% of the going remidiation rate for our services too. That, along with the billions we'd get from the EPA Superfund we could buy plenty of powder and primers too. The heck with that, we could pull down the government surplus stuff for twice the price of a toilet seat.

What a town! I think I'm tearing up here, Tito get me a tissue!

Jammer Six
03-15-2012, 10:34 PM
I got $50. I got $25 for my share, and $25 for round-the-clock access to those shoes and roses.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-15-2012, 10:43 PM
They do not get that much snow through there.
What they do get, they use it until it plumb wears out, it blows one way for a day or so then it blows back across the road for a day or so.

Well, I don't know if I like that :(

I'd like to be the one to organize a gunshow there.
the fee would be in ingots.
we'd need a special draw for that to bring in outsiders.
Maybe a lead exchange.
outsiders bring Lead ingots or scrap and exchange it
for at some rate (in lbs) like 15 to 1 for pistol boolits and more for rifle.
HEY ! maybe the medium of exchange is lead,
to heck with the Fed's cash.

Jammer Six
03-15-2012, 11:00 PM
I'll set up shop. I'll give $75 for a spot on the main drag. Will build to suit.

"Jammer's Excellent Bar-B-Que, Cracker Barrel and Forge".

I bet I can get Ms. Jammer to sign off on the Magma NOW...

Love Life
03-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Not only will the Money Pit (name of my service station) stock luxury items, but we will also stock the necessities as well. Toilet paper, soap, small groceries, etc.

Who wants to run the mechanics shop? Think of all the wheel weights you would collect.

I'm in for $100. $50 for my share and $50 to hmmm?

geargnasher
03-16-2012, 12:26 AM
There should be no lead laws in the town. If you throw away lead then you throw away lead. I'm sure a town with 20,000 casters would smell the lead in the garbage bag. Also casters can scrounge lead like ususal. Or they can purchase lead with money they EARNED from working.

"The government which governs best, governs least".

The whole point is to get away from any sort of government save that which provides infrastructure, law enforcement, education, and defense for the people who pay for it with their taxes. Other tidbits like a health department, animal control, etc. would have to be worked out as needed.

Everything else should be a free economy, no bank bailouts, no FDIC, no EPA.

Gear

runfiverun
03-16-2012, 01:03 AM
wyoming allready has some real good laws.
concealed carry- yep, if you can own it you can carry it.
property taxes are a bit high,
but no state income tax.
they are financially solvent also.

ErikO
03-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Wyoming will stay solvent as long as there's a USAF base open within its borders. So, basically forever. :)

clodhopper
03-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Pretty big plans for 10 acres. Ponying up for a 1000 yard range might be expensive.
Little to close to Denver for my taste though.

felix
03-16-2012, 01:11 PM
1000 yard range? No problem, use the hiway. It's the airport, too. ... felix

starmac
04-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Well we missed the boat, it sold for 900,000.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/05/wyoming-town-with-1-resident-sold-for-00000/

Blacksmith
04-05-2012, 11:00 PM
I hope they are good guys like us. At $90,000 an acre I suspect they have other plans. Can towns in Wyoming legalize gambling and prostitution?

runfiverun
04-05-2012, 11:11 PM
they only have them on the reservation as far as i have seen.
i don't know if a city ordinance would cut it.

gandydancer
04-05-2012, 11:17 PM
way to cold for me. maybe 40 years ago. naaa I'm a candy Butt. GD

Jim Flinchbaugh
04-06-2012, 12:12 AM
sold to foreigners :(

waksupi
04-06-2012, 01:36 AM
Here's one we missed out on a few years ago. Our club built this 1880's town, hid away in the mountains between Kalispell and Marion. It was fully furnished with artifacts, that went with the sale. Had a saloon, assay office, laundry, jail, general store, pretty much everything. We cut all the logs, and milled the lumber on site.

starmac
04-06-2012, 02:04 AM
Was general custer one of the artifacts. lol It would be a better location for sure.

waksupi
04-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Was general custer one of the artifacts. lol It would be a better location for sure.

That is Colonel Sanders, owner of a start-up fried chicken enterprise.

gandydancer
04-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Here's one we missed out on a few years ago. Our club built this 1880's town, hid away in the mountains between Kalispell and Marion. It was fully furnished with artifacts, that went with the sale. Had a saloon, assay office, laundry, jail, general store, pretty much everything. We cut all the logs, and milled the lumber on site.
what did it go for $$ ? looks like it was well build. GD

waksupi
04-07-2012, 01:16 AM
what did it go for $$ ? looks like it was well build. GD

I believe it was 1.5 Million. A steal at that price, considering the acreage, buildings, and artifacts. During the high end of real estate, too.

Blacksmith
04-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Could have rented it as a movie location and all of us as extras, mostly grizzled old mountain men.

waksupi
04-08-2012, 12:12 AM
Could have rented it as a movie location and all of us as extras, mostly grizzled old mountain men.

It was used for one movie, a low "B" grade scifi. The money guys behind it were tied in tight with Hollywood, and a western set was the original idea. Unfortunately Larry died, and Al was locked into making a living in California.