PDA

View Full Version : Ice Boxes

DLCTEX
03-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Saw an old Ice Box at an auction yesterday, but it was pretty far gone. Reminded me of the one Grannie had till about 1951. The ice man came around regularly and brought a new block of ice, placing it in the box for her and emptying the drain pan. He brought it on a wagon drawn by an old horse. Kids would run blocks to "sneak a ride" on the back of Red Beans wagon. Now I know he knew we were climbing on the back, but never let on, as it added an air if intrigue to sneak on the back. We would beg chips of ice to suck on when he stopped. I watched him cut grass from the road ditch with a "swinging sythe", and load ot on the wagon with a pitchfork. He also plowed garden plots with the horse and a "walking beam" moldboard. I got to ride on the horse on one through. Funny how many memories an old piece of junk can stir up! Days on end were spent playing Cowboys and Indians, or whatever the movie had shown on Saturday. It cost 5 cents to get in, so we worked the road ditches to find pop bottles for the 2 cent deposit. Three of them left a penny for a piece of Fleer's or Double Bubble gum. Dale

Boz330
03-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Yup! Spent many a Saturday morning picking up pop and beer bottles. Used to get .02 for those and a penny for the glass milk bottles. Forgot all about those days. Used to get 10 cents an hour for watching my little brother and thought that I was rich.

Bob

Scrounger
03-26-2007, 06:18 PM
Yup! Spent many a Saturday morning picking up pop and beer bottles. Used to get .02 for those and a penny for the glass milk bottles. Forgot all about those days. Used to get 10 cents an hour for watching my little brother and thought that I was rich.
Bob

We were indeed...

Four Fingers of Death
03-26-2007, 08:20 PM
What about when you all went out and got home and found your block of ice on the front step in a puddle of water. We went on a picnic one day, forgot about the ice man and when we got home there was just a small piece of ice about the size of a candy bar left, my Mum let me eat it. I was about 6 or 7 and was real pleased with myself. I noticed Mum and Dad were not as amused as I was by the incident. :D.

waksupi
03-26-2007, 08:32 PM
There are still ice boxes around. Here is one, my older brother made for me some years ago, along with the copper front pie safe I built. I used the ice box for several years, putting blocks of ice frozen in tupperware inside. Now, it is just used for dry storage of beans, rice, cereals, etc.

DLCTEX
03-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Mick, if no one was home then old Red Bean would just go in and put the ice in the box. The house was never locked, never had a key, and nothing was ever stolen.
Waksupi, those ice boxes are some beautiful pieces of furniture. If I ever retire I will build one like Grannie had, I've seen the hardware in some of the catalogs I get from suppliers. That's a good looking piece you have. I have some old oak flooring stored that I was looking at today, wishing I had time to put it to use.
Dale

trooperdan
03-27-2007, 08:49 AM
There are still ice boxes around. Here is one, my older brother made for me some years ago, along with the copper front pie safe I built. I used the ice box for several years, putting blocks of ice frozen in tupperware inside. Now, it is just used for dry storage of beans, rice, cereals, etc.

Heck Ric, from what I've heard, most of the year, you could just stick stuff in a snow bank! Wouldn't think ice would be in short supply either!

waksupi
03-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Heck Ric, from what I've heard, most of the year, you could just stick stuff in a snow bank! Wouldn't think ice would be in short supply either!

It is snowing this evening. You may be right!