PDA

View Full Version : Works with a Glock; does it work with an XD?

ilcop22
03-11-2012, 03:36 PM
One of my friends showed me a trick, for lack of a better word, with his Glock where he placed his thumb on the rear of the slide and fired. The gun fired, but the slide wasn't actuated by the recoil.

Since the XD is a very similar design, does anyone know for a fact that this also works with an XD? I'm not really willing to experiment and potentially find out the hard way. I like my thumb. Thanks.

MtGun44
03-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Personally, I'd not run the experiment. Feel free to report the results here.

Bill

odfairfaxsub
03-11-2012, 04:08 PM
wow how peculiar

Jailer
03-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Don't see why it wouldn't since they are both recoil operated. As long as a round is chambered and the striker is cocked then it will fire.

Rockydog
03-11-2012, 11:23 PM
If you've ever had the top of your support hand clipped by the bottom of a slide, like I did the first time I ever fired a semi auto, you might not even bring this up. It gouged two very nice furrows almost bone deep across my thumb. 40 years later the scars are still there. I'm sure I wouldn't be all that curious to try it. RD

skeet1
03-11-2012, 11:26 PM
I agree with Rockydog and I have a scar just like his. You only make this mistake once.

Ken

a.squibload
03-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Mine were not that deep but I got blood all over the shooting station.
Had my thumb wrapped over the top of the shooting hand.
Still don't like the safety spur on back of 45s though (whaddya call that thing?).

If you just gotta try it, start with the heel of your hand, I bet you could
keep it from cycling. After all, some loads are only 1 grain short of cycling the slide.

DISCLAIMER: The Devil made me bet ya!:twisted:

PS: What cartridge? Might retract that advice if it's a 50AE or similar...

ilcop22
03-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Like I said, I'm not interested in trying it. Just wondering if anyone knows if it's possible with an XD or not.

ilcop22
03-12-2012, 01:34 AM
Not the best video around, but here's the Glock:

http://youtu.be/Gw8sbb8eDjg

And if you are wondering, the purpose of this is in certain circumstances, the only viable way to discharge your sidearm is with the muzzle pressed against the target. This can cause the slide to move back far enough to exit battery, hence necessitating the ability to push the slide forward and ensure discharge without personal injury to your digits.

missionary5155
03-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Good morning
WEll that would explain the "why" of this particular action. Maybe that movement could be labled " The two handed slam against opponet at close quarters". Probably much easier to accomplish than to type. Just another reason I am still revolver inclined. Any one pushed their 5 shot 38 special into a cloth filled pant leg (old blue jean works nicely) and pulled the trigger ? You do get a bit more cylinder spit but it works and gives a satisfying result.
Mike in Peru

x101airborne
03-12-2012, 08:59 AM
It is also the way to make sure that sub powered ammo (supressed) does not partially work the slide causing a jam. Ya just manually cycle the weapon after discharging. I wish I was more help, but never shot a supressed XD.

wgr
03-12-2012, 09:20 AM
why do you want to do it?

archmaker
03-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Yeah, that makes sense. I had a former US Marshall that was transporting prisoners, and he told me that is the reason they went back to wheel guns. You could shove the barrel up against the back and push as hard as you wanted, and if that didn't work you still could pull the trigger.

Seemed the convicts knew if you had an autoloader all you had to do was lean up against it, and it wouldn't fire.

Roundnoser
03-12-2012, 11:11 AM
...Here's your sign!

ilcop22
03-12-2012, 02:30 PM
why do you want to do it?

Because I carry an XD.

My BUG is a revolver. I like to have the best of both worlds on me.

Bulltipper
03-12-2012, 02:46 PM
There are other reasons one might hold the slide from cycling... In my experience it can be done with any pistol by using the palm of the support hand without causing injury to the shooter.

fecmech
03-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Well I just walked out back with my 1911 .45 acp and a leather welding glove on my left hand. Fired 2 rounds(only loading 1 at a time) with the slide encircled with my thumb and forefinger, not hard to hold at all. There was a big discussion about this in the High Road gunsmithing section a while back.

a.squibload
03-13-2012, 12:22 AM
That's what I like, experimental test data!

AndyC
03-13-2012, 12:57 AM
This technique is seriously old news.

leftiye
03-13-2012, 01:38 AM
If it unlocks, you'll sing another tune! Fired a .22 auto rifle without the stock once. Had my thumb on a plastic cover at the rear of the receiver. The firing pin thingie got my thumb right goodly!

fecmech
03-13-2012, 02:33 PM
If it unlocks, you'll sing another tune! Fired a .22 auto rifle without the stock once. Had my thumb on a plastic cover at the rear of the receiver. The firing pin thingie got my thumb right goodly!

I agree, the devil is always in the details. Holding a moving slide is way different than a stationary one, but keeping it locked is not difficult.

Roundnoser
03-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Another YouTube video on the subject...

http://youtu.be/upoYtPS_5QQ

Ola
03-15-2012, 01:46 PM
In my experience it can be done with any pistol by using the palm of the support hand without causing injury to the shooter.For some reason I would not try it with anything that has a gas piston in it. Especially in .50 AE..

Bulltipper
03-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Agreed, don't do it with a .50 AE...