PDA

View Full Version : .22lr vs 17HMR

Jamesconn
03-11-2012, 11:15 AM
I've been born and raised on the 22 most everybody I know has multiple guns chambered in this round. Except my uncle has a scoped bolt gun in 17HMR in his truck for shooting the rabbits on the way to work (he works on a farm) he loves it. I also have noticed that the 17 is bottlenecked instead of straight walled and he had hornaday ballistic tips. What is the difference ballistically and any other things you have to say about it would be appreciated.

Also what's the difference between 45acp and 45auto it seems like all I see on the Internet is ACP but the only thing I get at range pickup the headstamp says 45 auto

Colorado1135
03-11-2012, 11:35 AM
the 17 has much more case capacity from a regular 22 lr. they aren't really in the same ball park aside from both being rimfires.

the 22 magnum and 17 hmr are much more close, as they should be since they share the same case with different necks. the 17 is a bit faster, but with a lighter bullet so wind can be a factor.

if you're looking for a 17 close to the 22 lr, that would be the .17 hm2. it is a 17 based on the 22 lr case, I had one and aside from being neat to shoot for kids, accuracy wasn't all that great if there was more than a stiff fart for wind. but it was a little neat gun. ammo for both 17's is going to cost more than its counterpart.

the .45 auto and acp is the same. ACP stands for Automatic Colt Pistol, 45 auto is just a shorter way of saying it. its up to the ammo manufacturer to stamp what they want on it. kinda like the 9mm. hope this helps, I'd be glad to go into greater detail too if you like,

Jamesconn
03-11-2012, 11:46 AM
I am going to get a CZ 455 in about 2 guns and I was wondering if I should get the 17HMR conversion for it

Colorado1135
03-11-2012, 11:54 AM
that would be a question only you can answer. what will it be used for? if you're looking for a truck gun, I'd say get a savage of some flavor, they are solid and can take a beating.

canyon-ghost
03-11-2012, 12:02 PM
If you are shooting on a silhouette range, or at steel targets, the 17 will hammer them hard enough to break them at 40-50 meters. They are banned on our silhouette range, all you can do with them is shoot paper on the rifle range.

Target damage, makes the 22 lr a favorite for smallbore rifle silhouette. I own 22s, they are cheaper on ammunition too.

Ickisrulz
03-11-2012, 04:36 PM
17 HMR=$12-15 per 50 rounds.

Will it be reserved for hunting or will you be plinking? You can reload 223 cheaper and it has more capability. There's also 22 Hornet if loudness is an issue. CZ makes the sweet mini-mauser 527 in both calibers.

clodhopper
03-11-2012, 05:49 PM
I have a 17 M2 and several .22 lrs.
The 17 is fun and hits can be made at longer ranges, but out in feild, shooting ground squirrels if there is some wind and just a little grass it is much harder to see when you miss. With the 22 just a little more stuff happens on impact and that is easyer to spot misses.
I can often get second round hits under tough condition fireing a .22.
Wiith the 17 simlar conditions need more like 6 rounds to see an impact then make a correction for wind and range.
With 17s costing more than .22s the choice is up to you.
Both are great fun.

1Shirt
03-11-2012, 06:48 PM
Both have merit. Have killed p-dogs cleanly to 125 with 17HMR, and have one kill at just under 150. Longest kill with 22LR (Stingers) on a p-dog was just under 100. In both cases little to no wind. As a kid I killed a lot of chucks in W. N.Y. with 22 LRHP's, but can't recall killing one much beyond 50 yds. Needed to be head shots for a clean kill. Used to shoot a lot of squirrel with 22short HP's. For bushy tails, believe that the 17HMR's would be pretty distructive unless you were getting stricltly head shots. Would think that 17HMR would be good on chucks even w/solid body hits to 50 yds, and maybe 75. Cost being a factor, and plinking being a consideration, 22's are a better choice if you want to shoot a lot.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Silvercreek Farmer
03-11-2012, 06:49 PM
17 HMR=$12-15 per 50 rounds.

Will it be reserved for hunting or will you be plinking? You can reload 223 cheaper and it has more capability. There's also 22 Hornet if loudness is an issue. CZ makes the sweet mini-mauser 527 in both calibers.

+1

The LGS has a 17 HMR Savage with a bull barrel, thumb hole stock and accutrigger, gets my attention every time I go in there, but then I remind myself that a .223 can do all the same and more for not much more money at all and it is easier to clean.

KYCaster
03-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Am I the only guy in the world who doesn't like the 17HMR?

I was VERY disappointed in the performance of the Hornady VMAX ammo. It would shoot little tiny groups at 100 yds. (<1/2 MOA consistantly), but wouldn't kill anything cleanly.

A ground hog fell at the shot then got up and ran 50 ft. to its hole. I'm sure it was a good hit and it probably died a lingering death.

A starling in the top of a sycamore tree at about 85 yds. hit at the base of the neck slowly toppled over, clung to the limb a few seconds then fell. A 22 lrhp would have taken its head off.

Several mud turtles swam away after good solid hits. I would have expected an instant kill with a 22 lr with similar hits or explosive results with a 22 Hornet.

I bought the H&R Handy Rifle new and two boxes of the Hornady VMAX ammo. After shooting about thirty rounds, I took it back and traded for a used CZ527 in 7.62X39.....took a substantial hit on the price, but I consider it a good trade.

As always YMMV.

Jerry

clodhopper
03-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Am I the only guy in the world who doesn't like the 17HMR?

I was VERY disappointed in the performance of the Hornady VMAX ammo. It would shoot little tiny groups at 100 yds. (<1/2 MOA consistantly), but wouldn't kill anything cleanly.

A ground hog fell at the shot then got up and ran 50 ft. to its hole. I'm sure it was a good hit and it probably died a lingering death.

A starling in the top of a sycamore tree at about 85 yds. hit at the base of the neck slowly toppled over, clung to the limb a few seconds then fell. A 22 lrhp would have taken its head off.

Several mud turtles swam away after good solid hits. I would have expected an instant kill with a 22 lr with similar hits or explosive results with a 22 Hornet.

I bought the H&R Handy Rifle new and two boxes of the Hornady VMAX ammo. After shooting about thirty rounds, I took it back and traded for a used CZ527 in 7.62X39.....took a substantial hit on the price, but I consider it a good trade.

As always YMMV.

Jerry

That 762X39 is a sweet cast boolit cartridge, The lee 113g flat point shoots well in mine.

Tom-ADC
03-11-2012, 11:03 PM
I have 3 17HMR's and love them, also a bunch of 22 LR I love. I don't hunt any more just punch holes in paper, my 17HMR's make that a joy.

Ozarklongshot
03-12-2012, 10:32 PM
We love the 17HMR around here. Wife dropped a coyote at 90 yds like it was hit with a hammer. It was an old stevens falling block I re-barreled. Got a model 5 that kills fox squirrels at the 150 mark if I do my part. Got a matched pair of the savages one in 22 mag and one 17HMR both thumb hole accutriggers. That 17 will keep em much tighter than the 22mag will. We get the ammo in large bulk quantities to keep cost down and yes 22lr is much cheaper for plinking. But the kids and grandkids love shooting the 17 at eggs set up at 100yds. It is a good time. The wind of course is problematic but we do live in a box canyon and at the house it's not usually a problem. Different strokes for different folks I guess.