PDA

View Full Version : How low can you go?

16gauge
03-11-2012, 09:15 AM
I own a P-08 in .30 Luger, and ammo is EXPENSIVE for this gun! I was contemplating selling it, but had thought about reloading for it. There are no jacketed bullets made anymore for this specific cartridge, so I thought about casting.....Lyman used to make a 93 grain RN bullet mold for this caliber, but hasn't made one in years. I see that LEE makes a 93 grain RN bullet mold in .311 cal. According to the Lyman manual I have, one should size the bullet to groove diameter for this cartridge. Since the groove diameter for the Luger would only be .001 to .002 smaller, could I concievably size this bullet down to shoot in my P-08, or is that too far to size down a bullet without damaging/distorting it?
Thanks in advance........

Shiloh
03-11-2012, 09:27 AM
I knew a guy who had one. He fired it occasionally with lead boolits. Never thought about asking his about his loads. Knowing this particular gentleman, he cast for it. He may have purchased lead boolits but I doubt it. That being said, I figured he had a mold. What manufacture?? Anyones guess.
Same boolit as .30 Mauser isn't it?

I always thought it was to valuable to shoot.

SHiloh

elk hunter
03-11-2012, 10:46 AM
The Lee bullet will probably work just fine.

My Lyman Handbook #39 shows an 89 grain cast using 3.5 grains of Bullseye and 5.0 grains of Unique for the 7.65 m/m (30 Luger). If it were my gun I'd reduce those loads by a half grain and start there.

ku4hx
03-11-2012, 10:49 AM
I own a P-08 in .30 Luger, and ammo is EXPENSIVE for this gun! I was contemplating selling it, but had thought about reloading for it. There are no jacketed bullets made anymore for this specific cartridge, so I thought about casting.....Lyman used to make a 93 grain RN bullet mold for this caliber, but hasn't made one in years. I see that LEE makes a 93 grain RN bullet mold in .311 cal. According to the Lyman manual I have, one should size the bullet to groove diameter for this cartridge. Since the groove diameter for the Luger would only be .001 to .002 smaller, could I concievably size this bullet down to shoot in my P-08, or is that too far to size down a bullet without damaging/distorting it?
Thanks in advance........

Have the gun appraised by a competent party. You may find it's too valuable to shoot; you may also find its value is so low it won't matter if you cause further wear.