PDA

View Full Version : Cold boolits---ARRRRR--nuts!

44man
03-10-2012, 04:49 PM
I cast today and wanted to lube right away. Boolits out of the cold water and dried. I smear Felix in by hand and run through Lee dies but as soon as the lube hit the boolit---instant hard lockup.
I solved it by getting out my little heat gun and just warming the boolits.
Then I kept getting dog hair all over and it sticks to fingers, etc. I got more hair off the rag.
Then the Lee 310 gr is too small as usual, they fall into checks. Another job I let slip by. I also want to take them to .432". I set them all into checks to sit a week to see if they expand a little. Just letting them sit today had them expand from .430" to .431". Checks still super loose.
I did get a pile of .500 JRH boolits done.
I took 1# of the stereo lead and added to a 20# pot of WW lead to see what it is going to do.

Salmon-boy
03-10-2012, 06:05 PM
Dog hair? Jeesh! You're lucky you don't have a cat.. That stuff is the .22 case of the animal world!

It still amazes me, how it can get into a hermetically sealed object like a hard boiled egg...

Seriously though, stereo lead? Like melted down hi-fi's?

HangFireW8
03-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Stereotype plates are entire sheets of lead alloy that printed a page at a time.

44man
03-11-2012, 09:06 AM
Yeah, 7% tin, 15% antimony. I had a 75# ingot. I drilled a hole in the end lip and hung it with my deer hoist so I could slowly lower it into my melting pot, sure beat trying to cut it up! [smilie=s:

Shiloh
03-11-2012, 09:16 AM
I have 3 dogs and a cat. Hair gets everywhere. Learn to live with it.

Shiloh