PDA

View Full Version : Felt Wads

buyobuyo
03-10-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm going to be buying a punch and some felt after the next paycheck for my 50 cal M/L. To that end, I've been reading through old threads. 1/8" seems to be the preferred thickness, but I've seen a couple of hardnesses mentioned (hard f-1 and high density soft). I am wondering which people prefer, and if you experimented with different hardnesses or just picked one.

Tatume
03-10-2012, 05:20 PM
When I started using felt wads I used 1/8" because that is what I had. That is still what I use. If your patches are burning through, a felt wad will probably cure it. If your patches don't burn through, you don't need the wad. In rifles that don't burn patches I've seen no improvement in accuracy when using a wad.

As to what actually causes the burned holes, I don't know. I have many round-ball guns; some burn and some don't. They use patches cut from the same hank of cloth, powder from the same cans, and often the same charge. Some are flintlocks and some are cap locks.

buyobuyo
03-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the reply Tatume. Good information to know. I should have mentioned that my M/L is an inline with a 1:28 twist, so no round balls. I got the gun late last year and have only shot a few Hornady Great Plain conicals out of it so far. I've been gathering bullet samples and other stuff, so I can be as self reliant as possible. Plus it's all fun. :)

Once I find what it likes, I'll be casting the boolits. I made up a batch of modified Emmert's, and I plan on punching/lubing my own wads.

idahoron
03-10-2012, 06:48 PM
I use wool felt from the fabric store, it is .033 to .034
I am using the wads for paper patched conicals and REAL's. I think the diameter is more important than the thickness. I use a 1/2" black iron pipe sharpened. This gives me a diameter of about .62 to .65 for my 50 cal. They pucker just a pinch when they go into the barrel. I lube them very lightly with either Hornady great Plains lube or Bore butter. Ron

buyobuyo
03-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the reply, Ron. I presume your 0.033-0.034 is the density of the felt. Do you know what units they use?

As for a punch, I found a site that has metric punches for what seems like a reasonable price. 13mm is 0.512" which is the same size that most vendors seem to cut their .50 cal rifle wads too. http://www.bloomertool.com/Wad-Punches.html

Nobade
03-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Howdy, neighbor! Good to see someone else here from NM.

In case you guys don't know about Duro Felt, that is the deal for getting felt for making wads. It's run by a nice lady from India, and if you tell her you want felt for making muzzle loader wads she will set you up. A big sheet of it is about $20 and will make MANY years worth of wads. You can find her here: http://www.durofelt.com/

Boerrancher
03-11-2012, 10:08 AM
I have never used a felt wad in a muzzleloader, or my cap and ball revolver. I did try some in black powder cartridges, and went back to just using lanolin as a boolit lube. I will remember the need for felt wads if I ever get a gun that burns through patches. That was a good tip.

Best wishes,

Joe

idahoron
03-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the reply, Ron. I presume your 0.033-0.034 is the density of the felt. Do you know what units they use?

[/url]

That is the measurement of the thickness with a micrometer.
Some guys use thicker felt for a cushion. I look at it more as a seal to keep the gas from damaging the bullet or in my case the paper on the base.

Ron

buyobuyo
03-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Howdy, neighbor! Good to see someone else here from NM.

In case you guys don't know about Duro Felt, that is the deal for getting felt for making wads. It's run by a nice lady from India, and if you tell her you want felt for making muzzle loader wads she will set you up. A big sheet of it is about $20 and will make MANY years worth of wads. You can find her here: http://www.durofelt.com/

Yep. DuroFelt was were I was looking at getting felt from.

That is the measurement of the thickness with a micrometer.
Some guys use thicker felt for a cushion. I look at it more as a seal to keep the gas from damaging the bullet or in my case the paper on the base.

Ron

Thanks for the clarification on the measurement. So your stuff is ~1/32" thick.

idahoron
03-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Something like that. Like I said I don't think thickness is as important as good seal. Ron

Taylor
03-12-2012, 07:52 AM
Hats at yard sales.Pick them up for a buck or two,thats what I use for wads.idahoron is the one who got me on track with this sort of thing...it works.Thanks again.

357maximum
03-14-2012, 12:34 AM
I am a firm believer in "felt gaschecks" they have tightened groups on everything I own when placed under a PRB. Some groups in some guns tighten alot some tighten a little but they all tighten. As long as I am able to shoot frontstuffers I will have a piece of felt tucked tightly under my balls.:shock:

x101airborne
03-14-2012, 05:37 AM
I am a firm believer in "felt gaschecks" they have tightened groups on everything I own when placed under a PRB. Some groups in some guns tighten alot some tighten a little but they all tighten. As long as I am able to shoot frontstuffers I will have a piece of felt tucked tightly under my balls.:shock:

[smilie=1: hehehehe

randyrat
03-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Free plug for Junior1945

Junior1942 He sells felt wads.... http://www.castbullet.com/wads.htm

I have bought wads from him a couple times..Very reasonable, good costumer service, donates/promotes this web site.

Go to the bottom of this page and click on Cast Pics/members products/ Junior1945