PDA

View Full Version : Morris fire co gun show

Olevern
03-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Went to a gun show today. Took two long arms as trading matl., When I got to the table to purchase my ticket, man said, "I gotta put this tag on your guns". I said, O.K., and then he picked up a two piece tag, tore off the bigger part of it and asked my my last name. I gave it and he proceded to write the name on the part he would retain, along with the make, model and serial number of the first rifle. I asked why he needed the serial number of my gun, he replied "that's just the way we do it, we throw them all away at the end of the day". My resonse was "If you intend to throw them away, then why do you need my serial numbers?" I added, "I don't know you and you don't know me, so you saying you will throw the tags away at the end of the day doesn't make it so in my world". Guy points to the door and states "That's the way we've done it here for seventeen years, if you don't want to bring them in under those conditions, there's the door".

Now, I've always been one to support local fire companies, particularly out here in the sticks where every firefighter is a volunteer. However, I don't want anybody having the serial numbers of my privately owned firearms, what's to prevent this guy from taking ten or twelve of these tags, writing the firearm information along with the serial numbers and reporting tomorrow morning that his house has been robbed?

Then, in six or ten years if I traded one of these rifles in at a LGS and someone ran the serial numbers (or, God forbid, if I reported one of them stolen after a robbery at my house) I'm thinking I would have a pretty difficult time explaining to the police how I was in possession of firearms reported stolen X number of years ago.

Am I being parinoid? I just can't see any good reason why this fire company would need the serial number of any personally owned firearms I brought in the show.

Anyways, I was somewhat miffed at both the requirement and the attitude of the volunteer at the door, but I complied and went in.

Found and purchased CCI small pistol primers at $30.50/thousand (tax included)

Bought two metal cans (2 pounds) IMR 3031 still factory sealed for $13.00 a pound.

bought a Burris mount and rings for Ruger Single six for $23.00

A RCBS aluminum powder trickler for $2.00

Two bricks of CCI .22 blazer ammo for $42.00 ($21 a brick)

A RCBS Rock Chucker in great condition for $70.00

and a Volquartsen target grip for Ruger MKII for $23.00

I think that if I had not driven over fifty miles to get to the show I probably would have taken the volunteer's advice and hit the door....probably will not go back again.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-10-2012, 03:42 PM
You do have the right to be angry about that. If those stubs get into the wrong hands, the govt. will know you have them. I don't care for those situations.

starmac
03-10-2012, 04:00 PM
I would be more worried as to what the OP described, it would be easy to turn a few guns in on an insurance claim. I'm not saying anybody would, but it is always a possibility.

I stopped at a truckstop in Gary in. one time for fuel. Gary is not known for being a nice part of the world.
You had to leave your drivers license and your credit or fuel card both with the cashier, for them to turn the pumps on. I suddenly remembered that the TA was not the only place that sold fuel.

DLCTEX
03-10-2012, 04:18 PM
I bought several black powder guns at an estate auction a number of years ago and the auction company required me and others to fill out the same paperwork as for regular firearms. He caught a lot of flack and finally said he would check it out on Monday and if it wasn't required he would tear them up. I told him I would be at his place Monday afternoon and would pick up all copies myself. Several other buyers asked me to pick up theirs also. The auctioneer thought we were being foolish and untrusting. I admitted to the untrusting part.

doctorggg
03-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Never heard of that procedure in VA. They just check the firearm and place a wire tie through the action. I would be very upset about someone writing down my serial numbers. You definitely are not paranoid.

Blammer
03-10-2012, 05:01 PM
I'd have asked if the knows the tale about the calf path... it's what is sounds like to me.

I'd have to have left mine in the car for that day and gone the next time without firearms to sell. Oh well.

Wayne Smith
03-10-2012, 05:44 PM
I would have done the same thing, Blammer.

10 ga
03-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Here in VA they use a tag through the action like a "safety" type deal. No recording of #s etc... In fact I have a bunch of guns W/O serial #s. They are that old, were hand made or were "lunch box" guns.

I'm thinking of investing in a CNC machine if I hit the lottery. I'll damn well make what I want then and the serial #s will be real revealing, ie: bible verses, famous quotes and messages for the Gmen! LOL, even in these times life can be interesting.

41 mag fan
03-10-2012, 08:00 PM
If I didn't trade any of the guns, when I was ready to leave, I'd be demanding the other tag with the info back. I'd be calling it a privacy breach if they balked.

pmeisel
03-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Where's this at so I know not to go?

Olevern
03-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Where's this at so I know not to go?

Morris, Pa. fire dept. annual gun show.

220swiftfn
03-11-2012, 01:08 AM
I'd be worried about someone "dumpster diving" and coming up with all sorts of info you don't want them having......

Dan

a.squibload
03-12-2012, 12:25 AM
You got some good prices, but they are overstepping their authority.
All I can figure is "just in case" there's a disagreement, there's a record
of what you came in with, but that's not their responsibility.
Anyway last 3 numbers would suffice for that.
Can't think of any legitimate reason for them to record your numbers.

BossHoss
03-12-2012, 03:23 PM
No doubt every single one of those serial numbers were recorded OFF the tags, and run through NCIC. No other funny business, just put them on a list, with YOUR name assoc'd with it.

No other reason for it, really. Of course, giving the benefit of the doubt, they might have had some funny business happen at a show with a dispute over who brought what, etc....

I would have put them back in the truck.

Chihuahua Floyd
03-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Like BossHoss said, put them back in truck, then go in and get stuff.
CF

morgans
03-14-2012, 12:08 AM
First They have no right other then check your gun and that its empty, the first gun show I went to in years( 20 years) had a deal ---open the gun- show was empty-- then put a speacial zip tie showing it yours, if you did not sell ot trade it the zip tie was on there showing the gun came in, and to stop people walking off with guns the dealers gave you a tag to show at door. Yah that works for long gun,pistols thats aother story,I can say anyone that goes to a gun show and steels has a lot of
( blank anyways)Go figure , now the guns shows here in NY the one I went to-, first you sell the gun to anyone in there they now require you to NICs check it- even thou its FTF deal, and not to a FFL and they do not want tail gate deals- but you can stick it for sale in local news paper?? Its a bigger chance the bad guy is going to buy it from the paper then gun show,its all a way for the Goverment to log every gun you own with out telling you thats why they are doing it. Buy the way love this board

And this little smily face :redneck: Funny stuff first time I've seen this one.Oh thats my two cent do you have change?:holysheep, that was bad.

Beau Cassidy
03-15-2012, 10:10 AM
I would not have taken my gun in. In fact, I probably would not have patronized them. For me, I don't have to patronize anybody's business and I will sure tell them that.

2manygunz
02-26-2017, 09:03 AM
Taking the "pie in the sky" view, another thing all these shows are famous for, is just collecting information for mail lists. Ever been to one of those "sign up for drawing" events and soon after start receiving ads for all sorts of STUFF you have no interest
in buying. I don't know what the going price is these days, but back when I ran a desk, I bought mail lists. I would call my "guy" and ask for all addresses in a certain area that were [1] employed [2] male [3] paid taxes [4] subscribed to gun oriented publications. Chances are very good that if I picked your neighborhood, YOU would be on that list. Think of that next time you fill out a warranty card or sign for a free drawing at a home/gun/charity event. Your info is valuable to all those sponsoring organizations. Depending on the specs. for the target those names cost $100-$500 per thousand. The fire co. probably would get 5 cents a name.:killingpc

JSnover
02-26-2017, 12:20 PM
Ever been to one of those "sign up for drawing" events and soon after start receiving ads for all sorts of STUFF you have no interest
in buying.
My junk mail slowed to a trickle after I started giving my cell number instead of mailing/email address… but it was only a matter of time before the telemarketers got into the game.

xs11jack
02-26-2017, 09:40 PM
maybe you should write a letter the the fire chief, telling him that you and your friends will no longer go to his show. He has no real use for the serial numbers and maybe breaking federal law in collecting them.
Ole Jack

Smoke4320
02-26-2017, 09:47 PM
maybe you should write a letter the the fire chief, telling him that you and your friends will no longer go to his show. He has no real use for the serial numbers and maybe breaking federal law in collecting them.
Ole Jack

That would be a first step. Then I would contact every gunshop in the area and get them on board with a full court press to get this changed

thegatman
02-26-2017, 10:32 PM
None of their business. Put guns back in locked truck.

Geezer in NH
02-26-2017, 10:36 PM
UH this thread started 5 years ago ***

hutch18414
02-27-2017, 06:35 AM
I did not notice when it started, but I would have had the same reaction five years ago that I have now. Nobody has the right to the serial numbers of my guns along with the other info collected. When we are already aware that our government is not a friend of the 2nd Amendment, why should we give up any info to any kind of data collection? Paranoid? Maybe. A move on the safe side by putting them back in the car? Yep!

6bg6ga
02-27-2017, 07:26 AM
I don't care if the thread is 5 yrs old or 5 minutes old. A point needs to be made. If confronted with the same situation one needs to simply walk back to their car with the guns they were going to take inside and leave them in the locked car.

Duckiller
02-27-2017, 06:25 PM
Is the fire dept st6ill doing this BS ? Or have they seen the error of their ways? Just courious.