PDA

View Full Version : Cast Bullet Load Data Question

FallRun
03-25-2007, 08:46 AM
I was told that if I need cast data and only can find jacketed data for a bullet, that I can take the jacketed data and reduce it by 10% and that will work good for cast.
Is this true? If so, will it work for both rifle and handgun loads?

wiljen
03-25-2007, 09:26 AM
I was told that if I need cast data and only can find jacketed data for a bullet, that I can take the jacketed data and reduce it by 10% and that will work good for cast.

There is no universal answer for this. The 10% reduction is a usually true kinda thing. Some pistol powders react badly to any reduction (H110/w296 comes to mind) and in some cases 10% is probably not enough of a reduction.

Most of us here use different powders for cast boolits than with jacketed bullets. If you search the posts here you will find a wealth of load data for myriad different calibers. If your search doesn't find what you are looking for, then post a thread asking for help with a specific caliber.

Leftoverdj
03-25-2007, 10:35 AM
No.

There's a difference between a safe load and a good load. That 10% reduction rule will give you a safe load (with a few debateable exceptions), but it will often result in pressures that, while safe in the gun, are too high for cast bullet alloys.

One classic example is the use of 160-170 grain cast in the 6.5 Swedes. Anything close to a load for jacketed bullets can bend those bullets into bananas and result in groups measured in yards rather than inches.

FallRun
03-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Just so you guys know, That info. came from rainier's web site. I thought it sounded too cut and dry

wiljen
03-25-2007, 04:47 PM
Just so you guys know, That info. came from rainier's web site. I thought it sounded too cut and dry

Considering rainier makes pistol bullets for a handful of popular pistol cartridges and little or nothing else, it may well hold true regarding their product line.

klw
03-25-2007, 09:22 PM

You can get cast bullet data for anything by going to the Accurate Arms web site and asking for it. Modern cartridge or something really old and strange. In a couple of days you'll get an answer.

randyrat
03-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Not sure if you know it or not, but Rainier are plated not cast. They reccomend reduced loads by 10% or under aprox 1200 ft/sec for their bullets. As stated before may not be a perfect guide for cast bullets. I've tried their 200 gr plated for the forty cal Nice n accurate> kinda heavy for the forty but it shot nice out of mine.

FallRun
03-26-2007, 08:05 AM
Not sure if you know it or not, but Rainier are plated not cast. They reccomend reduced loads by 10% or under aprox 1200 ft/sec for their bullets. As stated before may not be a perfect guide for cast bullets. I've tried their 200 gr plated for the forty cal Nice n accurate> kinda heavy for the forty but it shot nice out of mine. Yes sir I know that but I was told that plated bullets need cast data not jacketed

FallRun
03-26-2007, 08:08 AM
Considering rainier makes pistol bullets for a handful of popular pistol cartridges and little or nothing else, it may well hold true regarding their product line. Didn't know they're inventory was so limited. I thought they made ALL kinds of stuff. Good to know, Thank You