PDA

View Full Version : Dang Coyotes

Boerrancher
03-09-2012, 10:57 PM
I got a dachshund pup a few weeks ago and figured she would make a good squirrel dog if I started her out early enough. She is around 4 months old and needs to get use to being out in the woods and trying to figure out what is going on. So this afternoon/evening I grabbed my 32 cal and the dog and headed for the woods. It was getting on to evening with only about an hour of light left, and I was leaning up against a tree waiting for a squirrel to come by for the pup to chase, as she was bouncing around and being a puppy. I heard something coming up behind me rather quickly and the next thing I know there is a big red 'yote grabbing for my pup.

It ran past me about 3 feet and started to turn around and come back for a second stab at the pup. The 32 came up and when the sights were lined up center mass I pulled the trigger. The 'yote flipped and flopped a few times, jumped up and run down the hill and across the hollow, got about half way up the other side and fell over flipping and kicking around. While it was running I loaded up again, but had to look away to put a cap on the nipple, and while I was capping I guess it got up and got out of sight. I didn't go look for it, because were there is one there are more. I picked up my pup, dropped her in my game bag in my hunting vest and headed home. That was too close for comfort. I was just lucky I didn't have to explain to the kids that a 'yote ate their puppy. That would have been a disaster.

That varmint didn't even care that I was there. I have seen it before when they start thinking about a meal, they get tunnel vision. I have blasted a half a dozen of them in the front yard. There were dead and wounded coyotes everywhere, and they just kept coming. The porch light and gun shots didn't bother them a bit. I am not even sure it is still coyote season, but I don't care, it tried to eat may dog.

Best wishes,

Joe

stubshaft
03-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Not in season? Sounds like you were just collecting fertilizer to me.8-)

DIRT Farmer
03-09-2012, 11:03 PM
One of the best coyote calls out there is a puppy yipping. The best part of the post is you blooded your rifle, most have never got a shot on a yote with a M/L. Did you singe it?

Finster101
03-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Joe, I know from several threads that you like the muzzle loaders. Might be good to start carrying a side arm too. Take care.

James

richhodg66
03-09-2012, 11:12 PM
The season on them never closes in Kansas, I didn't think anyplace had limits on killing coyotes.

Lefty SRH
03-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Glad you saved your pup, but unfortunately thats mother nature. Luckily you were there....good shot by he way!

Boerrancher
03-09-2012, 11:44 PM
I am sure I singed it, I could have touched it. I was talking to my hunting and fishing buddy and he told me, I was lucky it was only one coyote, and he said, "I know you like your muzzleloaders, but with as many coyotes as there are and it being their breeding season you need to be carrying a revolver with you as well."

Missouri Closes coyote season in early spring for a couple of months. Not sure why but we do. As I said, I don't care it was trying to eat my pup.

Best wishes,

Joe

Lefty SRH
03-09-2012, 11:49 PM
In season or not you had every right to defend your pup! I'd still put a sixgun on your hip too for furture outings.

451 Pete
03-09-2012, 11:50 PM
Joe,
Glad you nailed him. Good shooting and one less pest.

Take care ... Pete

03-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Sound like zombies. on that tv program. Try for head shots.

smoked turkey
03-10-2012, 01:38 AM
Joe:
Just my opinion, but season or no season is not an issue here. You did what you should have done. There will probably be a few more turkeys in your neck of the woods because of it.

Boerrancher
03-10-2012, 01:39 AM
Sound like zombies. on that tv program. Try for head shots.

I didn't have time for a head shot. I only had time to find fur and pull the trigger, or it would have grabbed my pup. She is so stupid yet, she didn't have a clue she was almost dinner for the coyote.

The thing that also ticked me off was that I had loaded with a grease patch so I could leave it loaded for while, once I shot the coyote that meant I was going to have to clean it, so when I got to the house I shot what I loaded in the woods just to clear the gun. I guess one dead coyote is worth a gun cleaning, which I just got done with.

Best wishes,

Joe

Hellgate
03-10-2012, 01:54 AM
A fellow I know had a 'yote grab his doxy from his back yard and after the 'yote was finished with it all they found was the dog's head. Good shooting. Some folks actually use a dog as a decoy for coyotes but the doxy is a bit small.

Mk42gunner
03-10-2012, 02:17 AM
Missouri Closes coyote season in early spring for a couple of months. Not sure why but we do. As I said, I don't care it was trying to eat my pup.
I was told it was so people wouldn't disturb the turkeys prior to Spring season.

I have a yearling MinPin/Terrier cross, (pound pup), that just loves to tell me when the coyotes are howling outside.

Robert

starmac
03-10-2012, 03:25 AM
I never knew there was such a thing as a closed season on coyotes, or open season either.

I might should check, as they might be considered a fur bearer here and only legal in trapping season.

Boerrancher
03-10-2012, 10:26 AM
I don't hunt them when the season is closed around turkey season, but if one goes out of it's way to be in my yard, it is obviously up to no good and gets blasted any time of the year. I have lost too many chickens, and baby goats to them to let them hang around the house no matter what time of year it is, and I have to draw the line in the woods to when the darn thing is trying to eat my pup that is sitting at my feet. I could have beat it with a base ball bat it was so close. I do know I will not be taking the pup back out armed with only a muzzleloader.

Best wishes,

Joe

Good Cheer
03-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Been wanting to go after coyotes with my fast twist 40. After reading this I think I will take the time to make that happen.

Hanshi
03-10-2012, 12:59 PM
I had a somewhat similar experience years ago, sans doggie. There are plenty of coyotes and they're in no danger of extinction. Shoot 'em when you need/want.

tacklebury
03-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Wow, congrats on saving your pup. I beat a 5-wild dog pack with a 2' long 2x4 when they came up and started killing a litter of kittens and a momma cat in our front yard one day. Saved one kitten and the mom and the next day when they came back for survivors, they found out how many bullets my Marlin Model 60 could put in their heads. I was afraid they might get brave and grab my youngest only 1 year old at that time, so it was time for em to go. 8(

JeffinNZ
03-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Joe. Good to see that military trained snap shooting is paying of you. Very brave for a wild animal.

Boerrancher
03-10-2012, 08:35 PM
I hate coyotes to begin with. Years ago when I was a kid Mo had a bounty on them. It was only $5, but as a young kid I could make enough to buy a couple pounds of powder or some primers. You had to turn in the left ear I think it was, so I would save ears in the freezer until I had 5 or 6 of them and then go turn them in at the local conservation office. Once the bounty was removed from coyotes, their population exploded. I would go for weeks at a time back then and not see one much less get a shot. Now I shoot at one or more ever couple days or so. It is unreal at how many they are. This morning there was a pair of them trying to get into my cousin's chicken pen.

If any of you good ole boys want to come out to the farm and blast some coyotes you are more than welcome. Between my cousin, aunt and I we have over 300 acres, plus about 5 thousand acres just up the hill that is all government ground. Lots of room to kill coyotes. I don't have any wolf hounds, but they are so thick you can call them in with a rabbit squealer. If you have one of those little tails on a stick that flops around, it helps keep them distracted. I never thought I would say this but I am tired of shooting coyotes. It seems like when you kill one, four more show up.

Best wishes,

Joe

SPRINGFIELDM141972
03-10-2012, 09:02 PM
I hate coyotes to begin with. Years ago when I was a kid Mo had a bounty on them. It was only $5, but as a young kid I could make enough to buy a couple pounds of powder or some primers.

I remember that. It was good way to get your .22 money. I also remember a few german shepards that were missing ears.

Regards,
Everett

Hellgate
03-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Everett,
I hope those G shepherds were road kills!

SamTexas49
03-11-2012, 09:47 AM
There was one simple rule in Montana, S-S-S !

Shoot-shovel-shut up!

7of7
03-11-2012, 10:59 AM
If any of you good ole boys want to come out to the farm and blast some coyotes you are more than welcome. Between my cousin, aunt and I we have over 300 acres, plus about 5 thousand acres just up the hill that is all government ground. Lots of room to kill coyotes. I don't have any wolf hounds, but they are so thick you can call them in with a rabbit squealer. If you have one of those little tails on a stick that flops around, it helps keep them distracted. I never thought I would say this but I am tired of shooting coyotes. It seems like when you kill one, four more show up.

Best wishes,

Joe

Sounds like it could be fun with a .54.... or anything for that matter...

Fly
03-11-2012, 01:11 PM
I lost a lab to a gator duck hunting.A shot gun is not with #4 shot is not worth much
against a gator.
Fly

SPRINGFIELDM141972
03-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Hellgate - I can honestly say that I was never responsible for harming anyone's dog that didn't deserve it and a $5 coyote bounty doesn't make them deserving. If its agressive towards women or children: It dies. If its agressive towards livestock: it dies. If its ear happens to look like a coyote's: I don't pay no mind, never did.

Regards,
Everett

Hellgate
03-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Everett,
I'm a veterinarian and have never regretted putting a mean dog to sleep only I shoot them with an I.V. syringe of pentobarbital but the result is the same: DRT. I am in complete agreement with you on the aggressiveness toward people and livestock. You made the world a better place.

Guy La Pourque
03-11-2012, 08:30 PM
I hate yodellers too.

When I was a kid on the farm the damn things would send out one scruff to torment the dog and lure it into the brush where the rest of the pack would attack and swarm the dog. We kept a close eye on our dog but the neighbours lost a few...and they were not 'pocket dogs' either...one was a big Rottie cross. That is bad news when they lose their fear of people and it means its time to dispatch a few.

white eagle
03-11-2012, 09:08 PM
round here they aint no season on em'

x101airborne
03-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Heck, I have a 20.00 bounty on any yote on my place. Payable on death.

By the way, I tried to fend off a hog charge with one of your knives this weekend with another member present. Thank GOD it didn't come to that. BTW..... How we doin on my Dad's knife?

torpedoman
03-15-2012, 08:37 PM
coyoter-season?? where you at?

Boerrancher
03-16-2012, 07:46 AM
Missouri closes 'yote season during the spring turkey season. Now I don't think that a warden would ticket you if you blasted one while turkey hunting, they just don't want folks running them with dogs, disturbing the turkey hunters. As a side note, I blasted one in my back yard this past Wed night. The dogs were having a fit, and I went out into the yard with the 45LC and a flashlight, called like a goat a couple of times and when the one that was yipping came to the edge of the woods and light I blasted it. The spooky part was when I shot, another one ran off from behind me from about 10 ft away. Had I not shot when I did, I would have been 'yote bit. When the one that was sneaking up from behind me jumped up and ran off I sent a few rounds it's direction as it ran into my field. I don't know if I hit it or not, I shot at it until it was out of the range of the mag light. Damn 'yotes anyway.

Best wishes,

Joe

Boz330
03-16-2012, 09:38 AM
I've called several in while turkey hunting. Can't seem to get the turkeys to come but the yotes sure come.

Bob

KCSO
03-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Heck with a squirrel dog you got a great coyote call there!

Baja_Traveler
03-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Sounds like you need to pick up a Ruger Old Army and holster! Exciting times down in MO....

Boerrancher
03-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Sounds like you need to pick up a Ruger Old Army and holster! Exciting times down in MO....

I have a 61 Colt Navy 44 with a holster, but right now I don't have any 452 RBs either. It is just much easier to grab the GP100, put the holster on the belt and go. Although I took the pup mushroom hunting this morning, and managed to not get her eaten. Of course it was like 10 am when we went out, and yes I thought about grabbing the 357mag, but just grabbed the Crockett instead. Now tonight I will go out at dusk with the call, flashlight and 357mag, but no dog.

Best wishes,

Joe

Boz330
03-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Have any luck with the mushrooms, about the earliest I have found them around here is the 20th of March. Although as warm as it is this year and with everything else blooming they might be coming on. I had a real good spot and permission till they dozed off all of the trees and turned it into pasture.:cry:

Bob

Boerrancher
03-16-2012, 02:42 PM
Bob, No luck yet on the mushrooms. I have been waiting patiently for almost a year now to start gathering them again. I didn't get any fall ones last year so my mushroom supply is empty. Oh well in a few more weeks, I will be eating them 3 meals a day for a while again so until then I will just keep looking.

Best wishes,

Joe

Springfield
03-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Boerrancher: send me your address and I can send you some .452 balls so you can shoot some coyotes for me. We have them up in the hills here but it is all private land, mostly urban housing, so no shooting allowed. Sometimes we hear them yippin at night, too dang close.