PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Remington

jebb45
03-24-2007, 09:29 PM
:( :castmine::confused: Can anybody explain why Remington moved across the water???
Will the 799 replace the 700 SA????
Will the standard length 98 replace the 700 LA??????

This don't look good to me, me thinks Remington is making a move across the water slowly so everyone don't jump their A#^&$ If this is true, that only leaves one major company in this country, RUGER!!

Our country is slowly slipping away, a piece at a time.

Good old US of A is in a world of hurt. The Politicians are slowly chipping away and they are going to get it done. Its not that far into the future

Uncle Grinch
03-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Don't believe that's the case. The 798 and 799 are additions to Remington's lineup.

Hip's Ax
03-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Far as I know Remington has made no move, Winchester has.

Buckshot
03-25-2007, 04:19 AM
..............European American Armoury who imports the Tanfoglio made Witness pistols (CZ clones) began importing several lines of Russian and eastern European made firearms, as did Charles Daly. I don't really know what happened with EAA, as they had announced a year or more back that Remington was taking all that over (except for the Witness pistol).

No further explaination other then they felt it was a good move. My feeling is that EAA didn't have the resources or energy to properly promote these new lines. Heck, they barely promote the Witness. As to Chas Daly they may be handleing a portion of the rifles.

Remington is just handling a line that is moving some merchandise but it doesn't really conflict with Remingtons own line of rifles. People who know accuracy will still buy a Remington 700.

................Buckshot

jebb45
03-26-2007, 11:55 AM
:( :castmine: Just waite!!!!!

Just waite, cause it's comin'!!!!!! With the 700 series being supplemented with Mausers, it is not far away. They can buy the Mausers cheaper than they make the 700's. So it won't be long now, the 700's will be slowly put on the back burner, and eventally dropped. Remington did the same with the 788's, now if you can find one for sale it will bring more than a new 700.

When everone finds out how hard it will be to make a Mauser shoot, they will wish they had their 700's back. Sad to say but seams like everything is going to move across the water sooner or later.

Look around and think about it, comin' sonner than you think!!!!:twisted:

mtngunr
03-26-2007, 12:18 PM
I don't see Remington diversifying into a line of inexpensive imports like the Russian Baikal-made Spartan line, or the Yugo Zastava '98 line as the end of Remington production, unless the company is already on the ropes and looking for any way to remain solvent.....honestly think such a move might hurt them if vast quantities of import goods remain unsold in wharehouses....the Spartan and 798 lines are meant to get poor folk who otherwise might buy from EAA to line up under the Remington banner and perhaps upgrade to further Remington products.....you have to imagine that any gun company staying in business is a minor miracle.......we demand guns that last a lifetime, 90% of buyers only buy one of anything, and so the market gets saturated with unsold products in short order.....that's why they're building guns that DON'T last out of plastic and hyping the latest wonder-gun and wonder-cartridge, trying to get those same buyers back in for another sale........most gun makers are in serious trouble right now.....don't be shocked by more shocking news......if folk don't keep buying, the makers go under, that simple......you want to blame anybody, blame the fickle buyers who quit buying........profitable lines and profitable companies don't change or go under.......

Dale53
03-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Remington's used to be my rifles of choice. I still have several and they are terrific shooters. However, from my limited observation of current offerings, Remington no longer is the "accuracy champ". Their new barrels do not seem to make the grade.

Remington triggers could be easily tuned in the past (complete with factory instructions to show you how). Now, they seem to have lawyer triggers although I do believe that they can still be tuned.

I hear LOTS of positive information about the new Savage rifles with their ACCUTRIGGER. It seems to me that Savage is going after the shooter and Remington is resting on its laurels. I'll bet Mike Walker (the past head of Remington's custom department and innovator of most of Remington's past accuracy items) is rolling over in his grave these days.

When the bean counters take over ANY firm and they no longer have enthusiasts running things, quality is sure to take a hit. When "flash" takes precedence over substance, THAT company is on a down hill slide (that applies to everything from Insurance, to automobiles, to guns).

Dale53

Dale53
03-26-2007, 12:38 PM
To all:
Here is an example of something positive:
http://www.savagearms.com/centerfire_home.htm

Look at what they are selling - general improvements to their line of rifles directly along the lines that custom rifles previously showed the way. THAT is impressive. Can you imagine, pillar bedded factory rifles with a GOOD trigger? Wonderful...

Dale53

Dale53
03-26-2007, 12:47 PM
American gun makers, in some cases have just "quit". Just a few years ago, a large successful smallbore distributor, learned that Winchester still had the original specs on their extremely accurate .22 rimfire (Mark III match ammo). This is some of the best ammo every made (I still have a few boxes squirreled away for "I don't know what"). Anyway, when the distributor learned this, he approached Winchester with a proposition. He would take the first 1,000,000 rounds if they would run it again. The answer, not interested. Another case, when the 52 Winchesters that the army was using finally wore out, they approached Winchester with a "no bid" contract on 15,000 rifles. Winchester declined. H&R stepped up to the plate, and the Model 12 government and Model 5200 Commercial rifles were born (CMP still has a few of the rifles for sale).

With that kind of thinking at the highest levels, a vacuum is created. A demand exists. If the present product leaders don't "step up to the plate" then someone will. This country invented the single action Colt. Colt made a profession out of "dropping the ball". Now, most of the single actions are made over seas (Ruger is the only bright spot on the horizon, here). The 1911 is being made by nearly everyone EXCEPT Colt. Again, Colt "dropped the ball".

History is there folks, the old saying says it all (ignore history and you are doomed to repeat it).

Dale53

Char-Gar
03-26-2007, 03:58 PM
The comment about history and ignoring it struck a nerve with me. My involvement in the shooting sports began in 1954 and the choices in firearms was just a tiny fraction of what is available today.

American shooters have always been resistance to change. Whether we like it or not economics is what drives all markets, firearms and otherwise. New manufacturing techniques come along and you either join or go down. Manufacturing becomes more economical offshore and you either join or go down.

Shooter want the manufactures to make what they (the shooters) want even though it means the economic death of the company. Go ahead an committ corporate suicide, but give me what I want. Sorry boys, but life doesn't work that way.

I first hear the "Chicken Littles" of the shooting sports in 1964 when Winchester changed the way they made firearms. They are still with us.

The sky is not falling, the industry is adjusting to changing realities. If they don't then we really will have a sky falling issue.

LGS
03-26-2007, 04:49 PM
The owner of the local gun shop said Remington bought Baikal and EAA. Anyone else hear this.

Four Fingers of Death
03-26-2007, 08:35 PM
I think that if Remington didn't market them someone else would and they may as well pick up a few bcks for doing it. I heard that they were doing ok (sorta), but had a massive unfunded employees retirement fund hanging over theri heads. I'm not an American, but have grown up with products from these companies, its a shame to see any of them go under.

onceabull
03-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Intrigued by the comments in this thread,I went looking to see what some web digging would turn up on Remington nowadays..one site indicated that Remington's gross revenue is about 2.5x Ruger's. Controlled presently by the LBO and related investment firm Bruckmann,Rosser,& Sherrill through a couple of LLC's involving some Institution investors and "High Net Worth individuals.. As a private Co.right now,there wasn't anything i could summon up re:pension liabilities. But that could certainly have been a factor in Dupont's dec.to set them adrift. This Investment outfit has had a hand in developing some real winners that are now publicly held, and for those fond of Logan's Roadhouse,they bought it away from the Cracker Barrel people.. Total speculation on my part,but there had been a lot of buzz in past few months about "someone" looking to take Ruger private, if so ,betcha these guys are "lookin the books" fwiw,Onceabull