PDA

View Full Version : H&G and/or Ballisti-Cast 357 Mold

ssnow
03-08-2012, 10:30 PM
I am in for a #668 on the Ballisti-Cast group buy. I was telling my younger Brother about it, and he wants to buy a mold for 357 Mag. He will be using it in his Smith, and his son will be using them in a lever action rifle. Obviously then, it calls for a RNFP, or a SWC design.

Of the various old H&G designs, or Ballisti-Cast designs, which have you used? Liked best? Most accurate?

Any comments appreciated.

crabo
03-09-2012, 12:52 AM
H&G 51 or Ballisticast 651. Glen Fryxell has a great article on swc for 38 and 357s. I don't think you could get it to feed in a 357 case and in the Marlin.

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell38SWC.htm

Dale53
03-09-2012, 01:31 AM
I have shot quite a number of the H&G #51 cast bullets with excellent results in various .357 Magnums.

Dale53

williamwaco
03-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Ditto on the 651.

I have both an original H&G 51 and a Ballisti-Cast 651.
It is in my opinion the best single bullet ever designed for the 38/357.

The quality of these molds is spectacular. BUT, read every word of the instructions TWICE before ever turning on the pot. Especially the part about the sprue cutter plate. It is large and heavy and can cause trouble if you dont handle it properly. AND If the bullets begin to stick, don't bang on the mold to get them out. If bullets are sticking, the mold is too hot. slow down.

ssnow
03-10-2012, 12:32 PM
Thank You Gentlemen, the personal experiences listed are exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the link as well Crabo. I found it interesting, and the photos are nice as well.

I should have mentioned, the lever action is a Henry. I think he has been shooting the WWB, and Remington 125 grain offerings from Wal-Mart so far. These have all fed well.

Anyone using the 651 bullets in a Henry rifle? I don't have the rifle or any of the ammo here. Judging from the picture, and memory of the rounds, I would think the 651's should be fine. But of course, those things can be deceiving :)

williamwaco
03-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Thank You Gentlemen, the personal experiences listed are exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the link as well Crabo. I found it interesting, and the photos are nice as well.

I should have mentioned, the lever action is a Henry. I think he has been shooting the WWB, and Remington 125 grain offerings from Wal-Mart so far. These have all fed well.

Anyone using the 651 bullets in a Henry rifle? I don't have the rifle or any of the ammo here. Judging from the picture, and memory of the rounds, I would think the 651's should be fine. But of course, those things can be deceiving :)

I have not used them in a Henry, but I have used them in an original converted Winchester M-92 and in a modern reproduction Winchester M-92. I have never experienced any feeding problems.

Note, those comments do not extend to using them in .38 Special brass. They will feed occasionally and jam occasionally. The jams amost always come when you missed the first shot and are in a hurry to get off the second. I believe they are just vindictive.