PDA

View Full Version : Scopes

Beekeeper
03-08-2012, 11:19 AM
I have always been a Bushnell man, that stated I need some info on a Leupold scope.
This got started as I have been unable to find a set of target knobs for a bushnell scope.Everyone has them for Leupold.

Know nothing about Leupold scopes but would like to get one in the mid to low mid range for My 30/06 rifle.
So would like some ideas and or advice on a scope.

beekeeper

Beekeeper
03-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Guess not!!
Thanks anyway!

beekeeper

wiljen
03-08-2012, 02:43 PM
The leupold scopes are all pretty good. In the low end you have the rifleman and the VX-I.

I like the VX-1 series except the fact that adjustments are friction and not the standard clicks. This is fine if you don't intend to adjust the scope after it is set. If you like to adjust for different loads and then move it back by counting clicks, it wont work.

In the same price range, you might also look at the Vortex, Nikon ProStaff, Burris FullField 2, and the Redfield models.

NVcurmudgeon
03-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Only two Leupolds to report on here. If your reference "mid to low midrange" is price, I've been very pleased with a Leupold Compact VX II 2-7X on my diminutive CZ .22 Hornet, this scope was chosen because a big scope on the Hornet would have appeared to be overwhelming. The other Leupold is a thirteen year old VX III 2.5-8X, but that one is no longer catalogued. Both Leupolds have been 100 % reliable. If your reference meant power range, both of these scopes would be mid range for power, too.

BD
03-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Four of the five scopes I own are Leupold, and I'm a big fan. The VX-II 2-7 would be my first choice across the board for a basic no frills hunting scope. In the early 90's I bought a used VX-III 3-10 AO Leupold for $300 and mounted it on my .270 WBY. I took a lot of game with that combination and it spent many hard miles on snowmobiles, and up and down trees and mountains. Two years ago I was sighting in for an elk hunt when it let me down, (took 40 rounds and a re-torquing of everything involved to get me to believe that the scope itself was the issue). I sent it back for repairs and bought a Nikon at the last minute to go on the hunt. When I got back from Idaho I had a letter waiting from Leupold with a number to call regarding the repairs to the scope. I called and was informed that it could not be repaired, and that they didn't make that model any more, "would I care to have a 4.5-16 AO VX-III replacement instead?". Or, I could have a 3-10 VX-III but as they didn't make it AO any longer, I could instead get it with thier new CDS custom elevation dial inscribed to my exact ballistic data! Whoa Daddy! I was expecting to pay something for repairs as my old scope showed some real mileage wear and tear, and they're talking about giving me a brand new $600 dollar rig! I went whole hog, and asked what it would take to get the 4.5-12 AO with the custom CDS elevation knob? I gave them my load and velocity and $60 later I had the best scope I've ever used. Shot a nice 6x6 bull with it this last fall.
My only complaint is that I can't get a 2-7 VX III with the AO and CDS dial, as I love the features, but only ever really need 6X or under to hunt.

BD

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-08-2012, 04:41 PM
I started a thread in the KIT ROOM about Vortex scope deals through Gearhog.
others have posted their experience with them.
The one I got last month has nice clear glass, that's for sure.
in the last post, their most recent deal was a 4-12x40 AO.
if you go to Gearhog, they show a photo of a scope with target turrets on it.
I'm not sure it that is a generic photo or it actually comes with them.
nothing is mentioned in their discription about target turrets.
I have one ordered, it hasn't come yet.
the price is quite the deal.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=140958

x101airborne
03-08-2012, 05:08 PM
For general hunting and light varminting, I prefer the Vari-X II 3-9x40. I can shoot them from 25 yards out to 800 with ease. 235.00 new and ULTRA reliability. They take the rough stuff and laugh it off. I own LOTS of Leupy's, vari X I's through the VX-R's, tacticals and mark 8's. I like the Vari-X II's the most for their reliability, ruggedness, CHEAP price, and overall great performance. I even buy old Leupy's at garage sales, pawn shops, and gun stores purely because of their performance and their warranty. I have had two replaced already and one was from the 60's!!! It looked like someone dragged it down the road behind a truck and still served me well for a number of years on a 6.5x55 ultralight mauser.

tomme boy
03-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Bushnell makes scopes with target turrets under their tactical line. They are very nice. I think the 6500 line has them also.

429421Cowboy
03-08-2012, 10:52 PM
I love my Leupold 3.5-10 VXIII with the Boone and Crockett BDC reticle on my 7mag, the Rifleman series are good scopes and the VXII's are a bit cheaper than the III's but a great value. I went with the VXIII over the VXII because Leupold offers an amazing Hunter Education discount on one product and really treated me well, if you are a Hunter Ed instructor they are a grat company, they support us so i support them, Made in America!! I'm supprised the Redfield line of scopes hasn't been mentioned yet, made by Leupold in the US with the same great HEI discount, but i don't think you can get them with target nobs.

bobthenailer
03-09-2012, 08:49 AM
In the beginning of my intrest into shooting, i went with Bushnell scopes as my intrest grew i sold the Bushnells & went to Redfields after some more time had passed i sold the Redfields and bought Leupolds scopes . they are more money no doubt but they have allways mett my expations and beyond. so IMO worth the money

Shepherd2
03-09-2012, 08:58 AM
I bought a Leupold Rifleman series scope last year. It's my first Leupold and I'm delighted with it. I'm pretty sure my next scope purchase will be a Leupold.

stubshaft
03-09-2012, 01:10 PM
I own a wide variety of scopes, from various makers. The one that gives me the best performance and consistency has been my Leupy's. They are the only brand that I will put on my hunting guns.

I have shot the higher end scopes like Zeiss and they are excellent examples of the scopemakers art. BUT, I just can't see putting a scope on a rifle or pistol that costs twice as much as the gun it is mounted on.

Quigley284
03-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Nothing but Leupolds for me for along time. I do have a couple Nikons that I like also. Life time warrenty. Buy the best you can afford and don't look back. Mike

kenyerian
03-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Cann't go wrong with Leupolds.

Lloyd Smale
03-10-2012, 06:40 AM
if your looking for target knobs leupold will install them on any scope at there custom shop. Things is if you want target knobs your going to want at least a vx2 as the rifleman and vx1 dont have click ajustments there friction adustments.

1Shirt
03-10-2012, 12:15 PM
For what ever it is worth, a lot of todays cheap scopes are of a quality that is equal to, or better than some of the higher priced scopes of 25-30 years ago.
1Shirt!