PDA

View Full Version : Heel Boolits...

BCB
03-07-2012, 07:04 PM
I have a Model '92 Marlin in 32 Long Colt caliber as several on here know--I have communicated with them about it. And have received some of their cast boolits to try...

Now a couple of questions: Why the heel boolit? What are the advantages? Is it for lube purposes since I assume the original ammo was lead boolits...

Just curious...

Thanks...BCB

runfiverun
03-07-2012, 08:04 PM
no advantage except to the gun maker.
they can just drill a hole for the chamber.
the boolit and case are pretty much the same size.

JeffinNZ
03-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Heel boolits date back to the very first metallic cartridges. That's how they were made; the boolit driving bands are the same nominal diameter as the case at the mouth. Ever wondered why the .38 S&W/Special is called .38cal when the boolits measure .357-.358? Because the original cartridges loaded heel boolits (outside lubricated) and the projectile girth was very near to .38 inch with a reduced heel to fit in the case mouth. The only carry over today is the .22RF.

Loading and shooting heel boolits is a bit of a lost art. I have a .310 Cadet I have been shooting in recent months and it is an education. Just amazing how the wee heel slugs up to groove and how well they shoot once you get your ducks in a row. See below:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/DSCN2684.jpg