PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: Gunbroker scammers

MakeMineA10mm
03-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Just an FYI.

I recently bid on an item at GB and lost the auction by a few dollars. About two days later I get an e-mail from someone who purports to be the seller of the item. He tells me the winning bidder backed out, and he wants to know if I'm still interested. He asks for a reply with an offer of what I'll pay. I sent it.

A day later, I get another e-mail, but this time from a different e-mail address. He says he'll accept my offer, and he wants to invoice me through GunBroker, therefore, he needs my real name, home address, and postal code.

Now, my spidey-sense is tingling. Different e-mail address (different name as well) and postal code... I go back to the (now-closed) auction and verify that it's being sold from a gunshop in Alabama. My wife's from Alabama, and she's never said the words "postal code" together to describe a zip code in her life! Of course, since I wasn't the winning bidder, I can't send an e-mail to the seller to try and verify through their end if this is legit.

So, I check their other auctions and find one that is open. I send them a message to ask them a question about that gun, and explain why I had to circumvent the system GB set up, and why. Asked if they had a Mr Harison or robert johnson. The seller is johnny-on-the-spot and e-mails me right back and explains they've never heard of those names, most certainly do not have employees by those names, that the original winning bidder did not back out and they've sold the pistol to the winning bidder successfully...

So, I've lodged a complaint with GB and hope they can try to track down what registered users these e-mails belong to, but there's very little else I expect will come of this. BUT, I wanted to let all of you know out there -- Never trust unsolicited e-mails, trust your spidey sense, and always find a way to check back with the original poster/seller before sending any personal information or money, most of all if you are not the winning bidder and get an unsolicited e-mail like this. The original e-mail had plenty of wording that sounded fishy, but also plenty of wording that sounded legit. Don't let your enthusiasm for getting a gun you want over-ride your common sense.

Any suggestions on how to get at these characters who are probably over-seas? (I don't think they ever expected me to send them a check -- they wanted my personal info in order to do an identity theft on me, I'm sure. First thing I might try is telling them I don't want to go through GunBroker to avoid paying the fees, and see if there's a street address I can send them the check to directly...)

ErikO
03-07-2012, 02:07 PM
www.419eater.com has some good ideas and excellent stories.

GRUMPA
03-07-2012, 02:16 PM
WOW!!!! thanks for the heads up on this, not that I can afford anything through GB but still these (&^$*$ rip-off artists seem to be more and more sneak in the back door type of thing. I listed something on Craigs list and I'm getting them at a rate of 2 a week. It's getting to the point I created a new text document and already had one heck of a nasty-grahm made up, now I just cut and paste it and fire it off back at-em.

AkMike
03-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Yep. It's everywhere.
I asked a question about a rifle recieved a prompot reply with the answers but since it was an unusall brand I did a quick search otf the net for that brand and found the same rifle on a different site. I went back and checked some of the sellers other auctions with a net search and found that they were all taken from different sites.
Gunbroker quickly deleted that scamming seller.

375RUGER
03-07-2012, 02:30 PM
I get emails from hackers all time. the emails come from fedex, usps, irs, bbb, credit card companies and some others. there is hardly anything that is safe from hackers.

MakeMineA10mm
03-07-2012, 02:51 PM
www.419eater.com has some good ideas and excellent stories.

LOVE IT!!!!!!!! :bigsmyl2:

Thank you Erik!!

41 mag fan
03-07-2012, 07:55 PM
How'd they get your email address? If you didn't win the auction, noone should of been able to send you an email, but the responsible party selling the item or Gunbroker itself.
It's been so long since I've been on there, I don't remember when. Ever since they redid the site, it's become user unfriendly.

Ozarklongshot
03-07-2012, 10:29 PM
You can take their E-mail address and sign it up on p#*n sites. At least it fills their mailbox with trash. Just an idea...

MakeMineA10mm
03-08-2012, 12:15 AM
You can take their E-mail address and sign it up on p#*n sites. At least it fills their mailbox with trash. Just an idea...

Oh, now that's an idea... Probably sign up for a lot of things... I might even use their e-mail address to sign some on-line guestbooks which are the number one way off-shore scammers get e-mails to send solicitations to... How funny would it be for the interior minister of Nigeria to ask this scammer for his bank account number to help him transfer funds out of the country!!!

303Guy
03-08-2012, 12:30 AM
You mean those 'authorised' Microsoft representatives who keep phoning me asking me to allow them to access my computer via the internet to fix all the problems that are making my computer run slow are actually scams? Doh! Last time I was too slow to think to ask them for their name and phone number so I could call them back - for security reasons just like the banks and so on do with me. Next time ... !

ErikO
03-08-2012, 10:03 AM
LOVE IT!!!!!!!! :bigsmyl2:

Thank you Erik!!

No problem, that site makes me giggle a few times a month. It seems that the Nigerian scammers aren't terribly smart...the southeast asian/pacific churchgroup scammers aren't much smarter, either.

10x
03-13-2012, 08:46 AM
You mean those 'authorised' Microsoft representatives who keep phoning me asking me to allow them to access my computer via the internet to fix all the problems that are making my computer run slow are actually scams? Doh! Last time I was too slow to think to ask them for their name and phone number so I could call them back - for security reasons just like the banks and so on do with me. Next time ... !

My friend has a laptop running on a linux system booted from a CD. When he hooks it up to the website they request he can mount their hard drive and browse it, changing file names and deleting as he goes. They get to see about 20 megs of empty hard drive and are firewalled from the rest of the laptop hard drive.
They get the message when he reboots their computer....

Their real purpose is to install a key logger that keeps track of your passwords and the sites they are used on, then the information gets emailed to the scammers...

Sasquatch-1
03-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Just an FYI.

I recently bid on an item at GB and lost the auction by a few dollars. About two days later I get an e-mail from someone who purports to be the seller of the item. He tells me the winning bidder backed out, and he wants to know if I'm still interested. He asks for a reply with an offer of what I'll pay. I sent it.

A day later, I get another e-mail, but this time from a different e-mail address. He says he'll accept my offer, and he wants to invoice me through GunBroker, therefore, he needs my real name, home address, and postal code.

Now, my spidey-sense is tingling. Different e-mail address (different name as well) and postal code... I go back to the (now-closed) auction and verify that it's being sold from a gunshop in Alabama. My wife's from Alabama, and she's never said the words "postal code" together to describe a zip code in her life! Of course, since I wasn't the winning bidder, I can't send an e-mail to the seller to try and verify through their end if this is legit.

So, I check their other auctions and find one that is open. I send them a message to ask them a question about that gun, and explain why I had to circumvent the system GB set up, and why. Asked if they had a Mr Harison or robert johnson. The seller is johnny-on-the-spot and e-mails me right back and explains they've never heard of those names, most certainly do not have employees by those names, that the original winning bidder did not back out and they've sold the pistol to the winning bidder successfully...

So, I've lodged a complaint with GB and hope they can try to track down what registered users these e-mails belong to, but there's very little else I expect will come of this. BUT, I wanted to let all of you know out there -- Never trust unsolicited e-mails, trust your spidey sense, and always find a way to check back with the original poster/seller before sending any personal information or money, most of all if you are not the winning bidder and get an unsolicited e-mail like this. The original e-mail had plenty of wording that sounded fishy, but also plenty of wording that sounded legit. Don't let your enthusiasm for getting a gun you want over-ride your common sense.

Any suggestions on how to get at these characters who are probably over-seas? (I don't think they ever expected me to send them a check -- they wanted my personal info in order to do an identity theft on me, I'm sure. First thing I might try is telling them I don't want to go through GunBroker to avoid paying the fees, and see if there's a street address I can send them the check to directly...)

The FBI has a fraud unit. I may not do a lot of good to report but at least it might put them into a dada base that might produce some results.

Also, the XXX site might not be a good idea, they were probably hijacked emails.

morgans
03-13-2012, 11:11 PM
I got back into this and bought a Rv-85 off a board I got it, and was a bit worried long story, I posted A I'll take it, others contacted about things for sale. I stopped doing it, also I get real phone numbers now and not cell phones, this way I can see they are real deal, and the only one that will do anything is the United State Postal service, but has to be a certian amount- that I know, it had happen two years back 6 times. I do my home work now, that and if the guy is selling a gun that needs to go FFL ask them who there dealer is, just a thought.:coffeecom, one more thought maybe I should put up a website so people can post these guys names and email address's and address were payment was sent to warn people or just add it to my site,:coffeecom