PDA

View Full Version : Another question

mike3132
03-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Rookie question,

I bought some .452 300grn Bull-X boolits off of ebay for 9.50 for 400 to get me started and there is a paper in the box that says they have been treated with a special lube and need special equipment to reload so as not to scrape off the lube when loading. What special are they talking about?

Thanks again for you patience, Mike

Leftoverdj
03-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Rookie question,

I bought some .452 300grn Bull-X boolits off of ebay for 9.50 for 400 to get me started and there is a paper in the box that says they have been treated with a special lube and need special equipment to reload so as not to scrape off the lube when loading. What special are they talking about?

Thanks again for you patience, Mike

I think that's code for "When these give miserable results, it's your fault!"

MT Gianni
03-24-2007, 01:40 PM
It might be some kind of moly if it is a dull grey. I would start with making sure that your cases are belled enough that none scrapes on seating. That special equipment may be a lyman M die. Gianni.

mike3132
03-24-2007, 02:22 PM
I think that's code for "When these give miserable results, it's your fault!"

:-D maybe your right. they have a dull grey finish. i'll just load some and see how they shoot.

thanks again, mike

44man
03-25-2007, 08:47 AM
I have to ask what happens to the dull, gray finish when the boolit enters the bore? That is a nice, long, size die! I bet it is all rubbed off in the first inch.

dubber123
03-25-2007, 09:24 AM
If they have a cannelure on them, you can always fill that with real lube to make these bullets useful. You can just rub some of the softer lubes on with your fingers if you don't have a luber. I did this to some Speer 9mm lead bullets that had some useless "wonder lube" on them.

wiljen
03-25-2007, 09:27 AM
Case mouth flaring die perhaps ?

mike3132
03-25-2007, 01:55 PM
The boolits are Carter Jones Bull-X and they come 100 to a box. The little paper inside said they are treated with a special high-tech lube. They have a double crimp groove and a lube groove. I looked Bull-X up on the web and they went out of business. I loaded up 24 rounds but haven't shot them yet. I flared the cases just a little and they seem to load alright. No lead strings. Thanks again for all the info. Mike

Kraschenbirn
03-25-2007, 11:30 PM
The boolits are Carter Jones Bull-X and they come 100 to a box. The little paper inside said they are treated with a special high-tech lube. They have a double crimp groove and a lube groove. I looked Bull-X up on the web and they went out of business. I loaded up 24 rounds but haven't shot them yet. I flared the cases just a little and they seem to load alright. No lead strings. Thanks again for all the info. Mike

Those bullets are the product of one of Carter Jones' last projects before he sold Bull-X in 1999. They were developed for the .454 Casull (and similar) and were cast from a proprietary hard alloy and mechanically impregnated with a tough moly-compound. As MT Gianni noted, the "special equipment" was an expander die to insure that the moly coating wasn't scraped off during seating. Originally, these bullets were marketed, exclusively, through a fairly well-known builder of custom revolvers who, as I recall, actually designed the bullet and the "special" expander.

I've known Carter Jones for almost 30 years and have always felt that the shooting sports lost a great asset when he retired from the business. Bull-X, at that time, was one of the two (or three) highest volume bullet casters in the country and was providing the bullets for all of Windchester-Western's Cowboy Action ammo in addition to producing several million rounds of reloads for training use by law enforcement agencies. After he left, though, the new ownership never managed to get their act together and the business went into the tank within a couple of years.

Bill

mike3132
03-26-2007, 12:29 AM
Those bullets are the product of one of Carter Jones' last projects before he sold Bull-X in 1999. They were developed for the .454 Casull (and similar) and were cast from a proprietary hard alloy and mechanically impregnated with a tough moly-compound. As MT Gianni noted, the "special equipment" was an expander die to insure that the moly coating wasn't scraped off during seating. Originally, these bullets were marketed, exclusively, through a fairly well-known builder of custom revolvers who, as I recall, actually designed the bullet and the "special" expander.

I've known Carter Jones for almost 30 years and have always felt that the shooting sports lost a great asset when he retired from the business. Bull-X, at that time, was one of the two (or three) highest volume bullet casters in the country and was providing the bullets for all of Windchester-Western's Cowboy Action ammo in addition to producing several million rounds of reloads for training use by law enforcement agencies. After he left, though, the new ownership never managed to get their act together and the business went into the tank within a couple of years.

Bill

Thanks Bill,

That is very interesting info to know.

Mike