PDA

View Full Version : Horace Kephart bullet references?

Woodtroll
03-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Hello, folks.

Years back I read an article that I thought was in an older Gun Digest, by Horace Kephart describing the scraper-groove lead bullet for use in black powder cartridge firearms. I have incorporated that design into two custom moulds I had made, and they have worked very well for me. Now, I can't for the life of me figure out where I ran across that reference. There was also a very good biographical article somewhere in one of the Digests (I thought).

Does anyone know where I might find these references?

Thanks, y'all! Regan

Bent Ramrod
03-24-2007, 02:29 AM
There was an article in the 1995 Gun Digest, page 182, called "Roving with Kephart."

w30wcf
03-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Woodtroll,

The only Kephart designed bullet that I am aware of and the older Ideal manuals reference, is 308206, which he designed for the .30-40 Krag using smokeless powder. It first appeared in the 1900 Ideal Catalog.

It came in two weights: the standard 170 gr. and the shorter 125 gr. (minus 1 driving band and 1 grease groove). As you indicated, it incorporated the front scrapper band.

There was an earlier Ideal Bullet number 451113 which was intended for the Sharps that had the front scrapper band. Horace might have gotten the idea from that design although the 1898 Ideal manual does not mention anyone as the designer.

w30wcf

Woodtroll
03-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Gentlemen,

I certainly appreciate your help!

Bent Ramrod, you helped me find the exact article I remembered; I don't know how I missed it the numerous times I thumbed through my old GDs looking for it.

w30wcf, I found that bullet reference last night, in a reprint of an old Ideal shooter's manual (#15, I think it is). Kephart had written a short piece in there about the scraper-groove bullets. I'll have to see if I can find a picture of the Ideal 451113- I have not run across that reference before.

Many thanks for your help! Take care, Regan

onceabull
03-24-2007, 08:01 PM
the lyman 358238 surely looks like something Mr.K.might have a hand in,or influence on.. Regretfully,a So.Cal.boomer outbid me for a nice 4c example ( in the heavier of the 2 weights avail.) Western Bullet may still sell you some though... Onceabull

w30wcf
03-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Woodtroll,

The old Ideal manuals are a treasure trove of info....nice that you have one of them. Fortunately, I have both versions of the 308260. Interestingly, the noses are way below .30 cal bore dimensions at .275". At the velocities these bullets were intended for (<1,400 f.p.s.) that won't hurt accuracy. Quite likely, Horace allowed some extra room, if needed, for the fouling to accumulate ahead of the bullet before exiting the barrel.

Ideal's 308284 (Lyman 311284) also incorporates the front scraper band but with a nose of the proper diameter to ride the lands.

Jim Foral had a nice article about the HUDSON-KRAG Handloads in the 2004 Gun Digest. Among others, both versions of the 308206 are illustrated.

Bent Ramrod,
Thank you for the reference.

onceabull,
Yes indeed. The 358238 is the bigger brother to the 308206. THey look almost identical.

w30wcf