PDA

View Full Version : Painting

Freightman
03-06-2012, 03:28 PM
I have been painting the living room ceiling and made the statement didn't we just do this a while back? Wife said yes you are right it was painted last in '78, time sure gets away fast when you are having fun.

DLCTEX
03-06-2012, 05:21 PM
When I still worked on appliances I had people tell me their appliance should still be in warranty as it was only a year or two old. The warranty card showed it to be 8 to 14 years. My family loves to give me grief over thinking some family thing happened a couple years ago when it was 10 or 15. Having five sons spread over 25 years contributes to that. I'll say "remember when so and so happened?" and it will have been with an older son. I remember it like it was yesterday, which I can bearly remember at all.

firefly1957
03-06-2012, 06:47 PM
I need to paint all the rooms in this house I am not looking forward to it hope fully I can wait until next summer.

03-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Last Fall, I painted the outside of the house. January, I did the living and dining rooms and the halls, including the ceilings. I don't mind it, because nobody bothers me and I have my mind to myself.

shooter93
03-06-2012, 07:26 PM
I'm a builder/cabinet maker by trade and I actually enjoy working on my own house and making furniture for it when funds allow. Our house is a "work in progress" lol.

edler7
03-06-2012, 07:39 PM
I have a neighbor that paints one side of his house every year, and takes the 5th year off. It works as long as he doesn't change colors. He spends 3-4 days doing it.

geargnasher
03-07-2012, 02:13 AM
I wish I had walls to paint. That 100-sheet pallet of sheetrock needs to get hung and finished first! Painting will be GRAVY!!!

Gear

pdawg_shooter
03-07-2012, 10:29 AM
I would rather take a beating than paint!

Boondocker
03-07-2012, 10:44 AM
I am good at watching paint dry lol.

waksupi
03-07-2012, 11:42 AM
I kind of like to paint, just don't do it very much.

Goatwhiskers
03-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Memory is the first thing to go. The second thing is----uh-----I forgot. Goat

ErikO
03-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I have drywall to hang too.

I still have a coat or two to do on my son's room from three years ago...

blackthorn
03-07-2012, 07:03 PM
In 2004 I retired and we moved from the greater Vancouver area to Kamloops. Now, Kamloops is not the type of climate that appeals greatly to Gail but we had traveled all over BC and decided that kamloops had the most to offer us. Gail put three conditions on this move: 1)-we get a ride on lawn mower. 2)-the place MUST have airconditioning, and 3)-whatever we bought must be finished! i.e. no updates/work required. SO---we bought a 27x60 foot modular/double-wide home on 1.8 acres with airconditioning. The place was landscaped and finished nicely inside and out. We moved here in September /04. About six months later we were sitting in the front room and Gail looked around and said "I sure would like to paint those walls". I just smiled and said "won't work, the walls are vinal covered paneling" soooo no more painting for me!!!! I hate painting!!

41 mag fan
03-07-2012, 08:03 PM
I don't paint or mow the yard.....yuck I hate mowing.
My wife mows, loves it actually. You'll know it's time to mow. She gets the cooler out, fills it up with ice and beer, puts it on the tailgate of her toyota, and off she goes. Ipod and earphones, cig in 1 hand, beer in the other...singing along on the rider.
I look outside, smile and go back in the shop and start more reloading.
We remodeled our house from top to bottom in '09. That was a 2mo nightmare. I told her never again. Next time before I'll ever remodel, I'll sell or burn, and build new. Never again

RobS
03-07-2012, 09:45 PM
I would rather take a beating than paint!

Agreed..............I can't stand painting either and I don't really know why.

ElDorado
03-07-2012, 10:56 PM
I’m lucky compared to most of you. My wife says “We’ll paint as soon as I pick a color.” Seven or eight years later she says “I’m still trying to decide.”

Rockydog
03-10-2012, 11:40 PM
I used to absolutely hate painting. Now I kind of enjoy it. Why? I found the secret that makes it easy. YOU CAN"T PAY TOO MUCH FOR A PAINTBRUSH!! Sorry for the yelling but it's true. I hardly even mask anything any more. A quality paint brush allows you to "draw a line" right along a door frame or the wall ceiling corner. No tape, no over run. They hold paint and it just flows out of the bristles as you go. It's half the work of a cheap brush and 10% of the work of a throw away foam brush. Clean them daily when you are done. Treat them like an old friend and you'll be amazed. I discovered this by accident when alocal store was changing brands and I bought some name brand brushes on 1/2 off clearance. If it's not a Purdy I'm not painting. Their "Dale Elite" is thee paint brush to trim with. RD

Freightman
03-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Well i got the painting done new crown molding up, now the other part. Refinishing the 65 year old oak hard wood floor. Ordered the belts for my big sander and a 10# box of end pieces of sandpaper from Klingspor it arrived Monday. that is the best place for belts as a good belt runs $4 at the hardware store and I can order 36 belts different grits for $0.85 including freight and the 10# box of ends work for my little palm sander and it was $19.95 for 10# and that is a loot of sandpaper from 400 grit to 60 grit.
PS: it isn't made in China but it is made in Germany.

a.squibload
03-12-2012, 12:02 AM
We still have tarps hanging over the walls in the shower/bathtub.
Maybe 3 years now.
She will decide soon what we're gonna do in that area.
I won't start 'til she does 'cause I'll just have to tear it out and start over.
Anyway I like the tarps.

Jammer Six
03-12-2012, 01:02 AM
I'm a retired general contractor.

My favorite painting sub was my father's painting sub. (He was a general, too, back in the day.)

My (our) painting sub came out to my job site once, and after gazing around at my painting efforts, said "I see you learned to paint from your father, so I'll tell you what I told him. You can paint, in which case I'll give you advice, or you can call me to paint. But you can never again do both."

That was the last time I tried to paint. :coffee: