PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Chuck Repair

alamogunr
03-05-2012, 04:58 PM
I don't know where this should go so I decided to put it where it would get maximum exposure.

The chuck on my drill press(Delta floor model) has seized up. There is very little adjustment from completely closed to open about 1/8th in. I suspect that when I worked on it about 3 years ago, I reassembled it wrong. I now discover that the jaws go in a certain way. I can't get it apart and don't remember how I disassembled it before.

I know there are several skilled machinists on this board. Does anyone have any idea how to get this chuck apart so I can see if it is just a matter of reassembling it correctly or if it is shot?

Mooseman
03-05-2012, 05:13 PM
http://www.jacobschuck.com/drill-chuck-repair.asp

alamogunr
03-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Thanks, Mooseman. I had already found that but since I didn't have a press, I thought there might be another way to get it apart. After posting, I decided to try tapping it out with a large hammer. That succeeded but I found that the threaded collar(not sure of the correct terminology) was broken as well as some teeth on the jaws.

Not much left to do except order a replacement. Thanks anyway.

By the way, I didn't tap that hard, just several times, so it was broken before I hit it.

crabo
03-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Get a keyless chuck this time.

AkMike
03-06-2012, 12:33 AM
If it's a 1/2" or larger use the key style chuck. The keyless are a PITA if yoj slip a bit very much.
Just remember that the shaft is cut with left handed threads..

alamogunr
03-06-2012, 12:46 AM
If it's a 1/2" or larger use the key style chuck. The keyless are a PITA if yoj slip a bit very much.
Just remember that the shaft is cut with left handed threads..

I ordered an exact replacement. It goes on a 16" Delta drill press. The max opening is 5/8". I assume that is what you meant. It fits a taper shank. This thing cost $71 with shipping. On the MSC site, the correct chuck would have cost $142 before shipping. Strange that it came out exactly double.

I'm not too concerned. This is just my home shop drill press and it doesn't get a lot of hard use. I'm going to be more careful with this one although I got about 15 years of use out of the one that failed due to my inexperience.

AkMike
03-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Only 15 yrs? Durn it!
It didn't even get a chance to pay for itself yet.. Maybe the new one will last better. ;)

montana_charlie
03-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Get a keyless chuck this time.
A keyless chuck on a drill press?
I think not ...