PDA

View Full Version : 45 ACP Shot Shells

lts70
03-05-2012, 12:58 PM
I want to get set up to make my own 45acp shot shells for my 1911. I find that midway has most of what I need. I just wanted to check with you guys to see if I am missing anything or if you see a better or cheeper way to accomplish these shot shells. I see some articals speak of an extended shell holder, is it different than the shell holder that came with my normal 45acp reloading set? So in short what am I missing here?

RCBS 3-Die Set with Roll Crimp 45 ACP Shotshell - $160.99

Winchester Reloading Brass 308 Winchester Bag of 50 - $21.99

Claybuster Shotshell Wads 410 Bore CB5050-410HSoz Bag of 500 - $9.99

Eagle Magnum Lead Shot #9 25 lb Bag - $42.99

RCBS has a $10 mail in rebate for buying $50 or more of there products and I am hoping midway puts out a $20 promo code for March.

Here are some links to how this is done. last link even has infromation that one with a lathe could make there own dies, wish I was that handy.

http://www.gunweek.com/2005/feature1001.html

http://archives.gunsandammo.com/content/45-acp-shotshells

http://www.ammomfg.com/funstuff/45_shot_cartridges.pdf

beagle
03-05-2012, 01:13 PM
You are undertaking a project of gigantic proportions. I've done this and eventually gave it up as a lost cause.

First, be aware that there is a difference between .308 and .30/06 rims design wise. I know that we use the same shell holder but there is a difference.

There's a load of cutting and trimming involved as well.

Then, there's the loading which is a bear. I eventually got mine to fire and eject but never in the semi-auto mode. Even following the instructions precisely, it's a hit and miss thing.

The case necks turn out thick and probably really need to be reamed before loading.

Many of the cases fired were damaged beyond reloading during the first firing.

All in all, it was a bad scene as far as turning out reliable, functioning loads so I dropped the project.

So now, you're into a project to the tune of $200 with probably unsatisfactory end results.

Far better to look for some of the Remington shot loads for the .45 ACP as I think they still catalog them. You may have to special order. I have a box and I'll dig the Remington number out and post it here.

I hate to discourage you and others may have succeeded but those are my experiences with the subject./beagle

scrapcan
03-05-2012, 01:20 PM
They are easier to purchase, but I like Beagle have the tooling to make them. It is lots of work, but work great on snake or rabbit. You can use a little larger shot also, I have used 9, 8, and 7 1/2.

I had good luck using a 375 gas check for an over shot wad. also you need to cut down each wad. Get your self a short dowel and use that with a razor knife or blade.

I used commercial 308 as military brass ended up being too thick in the neck when formed. also had to thin the nose of the extractor on the 1911 to help make them reliable.

I have had good success, once i found the right powder charge. The die iset was much cheaper when I bought mine.

ku4hx
03-05-2012, 01:24 PM
I want to get set up to make my own 45acp shot shells for my 1911. I find that midway has most of what I need. I just wanted to check with you guys to see if I am missing anything or if you see a better or cheeper way to accomplish these shot shells. I see some articals speak of an extended shell holder, is it different than the shell holder that came with my normal 45acp reloading set? So in short what am I missing here?

RCBS 3-Die Set with Roll Crimp 45 ACP Shotshell - $160.99

Winchester Reloading Brass 308 Winchester Bag of 50 - $21.99

Claybuster Shotshell Wads 410 Bore CB5050-410HSoz Bag of 500 - $9.99

Eagle Magnum Lead Shot #9 25 lb Bag - $42.99

RCBS has a $10 mail in rebate for buying $50 or more of there products and I am hoping midway puts out a $20 promo code for March.

Here are some links to how this is done. last link even has infromation that one with a lathe could make there own dies, wish I was that handy.

http://www.gunweek.com/2005/feature1001.html

http://archives.gunsandammo.com/content/45-acp-shotshells

http://www.ammomfg.com/funstuff/45_shot_cartridges.pdf

In 1991, I thought I wanted to do this too, but my intended gun was a Ruger SBH .44 Magnum. I had all the loading equipment and bought the shot holders. But before I actually got into it, I bought some commercial .44 Mag shot shells and wife (to be) and I did a little skeet shooting. All shots from the low house. Wife reminds me I fired eighteen times and dinged one bird.

After that I dropped the idea and bought a Remington 11-87.

thehouseproduct
03-05-2012, 01:58 PM
I have some pre formed and trimmed 45acp cases made. Send me a PM.

Bwana
03-05-2012, 02:09 PM
If you check I think you'll find that 45 Win Mag cases are the correct length and, of course, have the correct thickness in the walls. This may save you money and time. I made them out of 308 cases and reduced the front portion by running them in a 30-40 size die and then rounding with a 45 ACP round seater stem. They worked well and even cycled; but, I dropped it after proving it could be done as I had no use for them.

rockrat
03-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Been decades since I made any, but IIRC, they worked just fine and patterned well. I used a card overshot wad. I hardly used them, but when CCI came out with the 45acp shotshell, I bought some and use them.

beagle
03-05-2012, 02:25 PM
The Remington Part/Index number for the .45 Shotshells is: R45AP5. They may have to be special ordered as I haven't seen any in years but still have a box.

Contains 650 #12 shot./beagle

geargnasher
03-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Take Beagle's advise here if you insist on loading them for the .45 ACP. Bwana is also correct on choice of brass, I actually made some work by employing a metallic .410 star-crimping die my FIL had. It's a terrible waste of .45 Win Mag brass, but it saves a lot of headaches. They wouldn't self-load, but would feed from the magazine manually. They also leaded the bejeezus out of the barrel.

If you want to make your own shot loads, get a revolver and peruse this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=77286&highlight=revolver+shotshell

I've made revolver shotshells every way anyone has ever made them as far as I know, and this is the best way. I had to chuckle at the skeet comment, I can actually break a good number of low-house birds from station seven and occasionally a high-house bird from the same station right before it crosses the pole, but I use #9 shot most of the time.

Gear

45 2.1
03-05-2012, 03:27 PM
I've had the 45 Shot dies and forming set since the NRA published results. IT WORKS FINE................. Be sure to use 308 cases...... any 308/7.62 Nato cases work well including blank cases once they're formed and loaded. Use a 35 cal gascheck instead of the plastic wad to close the end up. 6.2 gr. of WW 231 is the load. It helps to use an old barrel to shoot these in as the barrel rifling grabs the expanded case neck upon firing and stops the pistol from cycling at times if shot in sharp rifling as well as effecting the pattern. They work semi-auto fine. I used these to rabbit hunt one winter and collected many bunnies......... running not sitting. Usable range is about 15 yards.

Huntducks
03-05-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm just curious WHY and for that kind of money, you going on a humming bird hunt.:kidding:

Back in the 60's I developed a 41 mag bird shot load using 30-30 cases they held off the top of my head about 300grs of #10 shot anything smaller was worthless anything bigger cut down on capacity.

I submitted this to handloader mag. and no were was my name mentioned in the article.

If anyone wants any info or pictures i'll put them up on how too!

Edward429451
03-05-2012, 03:42 PM
I too, have the shotshell dies. My experience with them overall is good. I did get them to work and cycle but did not have luck with overshot cards and wound up using a single 00 Buckshot to cap it and they're very durable now. Like he said, rabbit patterns at 15 ft.

Someone gave me a beltful of 7.62 blanks. I cut them down to use and it gives me that factory crimped rifle primer to use. I did not have luck with any other wad than Remington SP-410 wads. I like them and have killed a few rabbits with them.

The critical thing to getting them to function is twofold. First, is the adjustment of the trim die. It sets the groove that the rounds headspace on. Too shallow or too deep and they will not work. Second, as noted is length. I have been trimming mine jus a hair to free it up inside. Just enough that the 00Buckshot sticks up a little and not flush.

GRUMPA
03-05-2012, 03:52 PM
I went the cheap route when I made mine, This is how I did it without going broke in the process.
308 case trimmed to 1.260 -.01
6gr 231
Wad .06 thick cut out from a 44cal case
126gr #12
Overshot wad .02 thick cut out from a 9mm case

Neck with 40cal sizer to length (need to fit the barrel till the right depth is achieved)
Anneal case mouth
And then I put a heavy roll on with a piece of gas line fitting. My camera is on the fritz so I can't take a picture of it.

Never could get it to cycle on its own I always had to manually put another in the battery, but I sure had fun with them, and I haven't made them in over 15yrs.

Char-Gar
03-05-2012, 04:33 PM
I bought several boxes of the Remington 45 ACP shotshells when they were available. I still have most of them which will do me for snake duty.

When it comes to guns and ammo, I have learned if there is something you want, buy enough of it to last, as it may never be available again.

Larry Gibson
03-05-2012, 04:54 PM
I make my own also. I use a cut off steel .45 ACP die to cut off 7.62 fired blanks. I then turn the "bullet end down so it chambers and make the shoulder on the case to headspace with.

They can be reloaded by using the 45 ACP die for the body and a .41 mag die for the bullet portion.

I've found a couple expediant methods of crimping an over shot wad (cut from primer boxes) in place with the bottom of a Lyman 55 powder funnel in a press adapter being the best.

I use a LP primer, 6 gr Unique, put in and press down with rod a card over powder wad.

Fill with #9 or #12 shot, a over shot wad put on and pushed in with the WC seating sten screwed down in the ACP seater or a .45 Colt seater.

They are then roll crimped in the powder funnel and sealed with cheap ruby red nail polish.

I have shot numerous vermin over the last 35+ years around the world with this load out of numerous M1911s and my Commander. Feeding and functioning has been fine even with unthroated issue M1911A1s.

Three of them are pictured in the right front.

Larry Gibson

BulletFactory
03-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I hate to hijack the thread, but Im afraid I must.

I don't see the reply buttons, only the "Post Quick Reply" and the "Go Advanced" buttons. I'm also missing the "Start New Thread controls.

help?

BulletFactory
03-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Im also missing the "edit" buttons.

Larry Gibson
03-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Im also missing the "edit" buttons.

You're probably not logged in. Happens when an automatic upgrade is made to my computor by Windows. Have to relog on.

Larry Gibson

BulletFactory
03-05-2012, 06:17 PM
It says " Welcome, BulletFactory" at the top. Also, I dont think I coiuld post, if I weren't logged in.

DLCTEX
03-05-2012, 08:00 PM
I make 45 ACP shotshell loads by cutting 308 brass, split necks are good candidates, with a copper tubing cutter to a length of a loaded round. I size the neck in a 41 Mag. die until it will fit the chamber. Once set up in the press it is simple to turn out multiples. I load 3 gr. BE with an over powder wad of styrofoam cut with a case mouth. Drill out the flash hole so that a large nail can be inserted through the mouth to push out the wads. fill with #9 shot to just below case mouth, then glue in another wad to hold in shot. I use tub and tile caullk and let dry. I found that more powder results in holes in the pattern. The action will have to be cycled by hand. The case will not expand and can be reloaded without sizing again.

429421Cowboy
03-05-2012, 10:24 PM
I personally have never found a percentage in shotshells, Gear is the only person i've ever seen find a was to get enough shot in them to be worth it and sadly i don't have the temperment to make them the way he does! I am gonna bone up on his threads and try again sometime, his way also seems to keep the shot off the barrel and reduce the leading. I do have to say you have jumped into this with both feet!

BulletFactory
03-06-2012, 01:47 AM
Something happened with my adblocker, guess it went nuts. I uninstalled firefox, re installed it, and after setting up everything again, it works now.

Someone had one of those blinking avatars, so I blocked it. Apparently the blocker started goin' after everythin' that moved. We call that poaching round these parts.