PDA

View Full Version : Favorite pan lube

mike3132
03-23-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm new here as you can probably tell from my previous posts and I'm getting ready to shoot some Pb bullets. I don't have a luber/sizer and plan on pan lubing at first, so is there one lube that works better for pan lubing than another? What is you favorite pan lube? Am I putting to much into lubing and should just go shoot? Thanks for your patience and answers, Mike

44woody
03-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Mike for smokeless rounds I use Alox350/bees wax mixed 50% 50% for black powder I use bees wax /crisco if you need any alox350 pm me and we will work something out :castmine: 44Woody

Dale53
03-23-2007, 11:51 AM
I have used Emmert's Home Mix for both Black Powder and Smokeless loads with excellent results:
50% pure natural beeswax, 40% Crisco, and 10% Canola Oil (all measurements by volume). Melt using a double boiler (overheating damages the lube).

A refinement is to reduce the Canola Oil by half and replace that half with Anhydrous Lanolin. So, the improved Emmert's is:
50% beeswax, 40% Crisco, 5% Canola Oil, and 5% Lanolin.

I use this on my Schuetzen bench rifle (½ minute rifle) as well as my Black Powder Cartridge Rifles.

However, I will be moving to Lars Carnauba Red for smokeless use other than Schuetzen and BPCR use. Lars just makes fine lube available for such a good price that I will no longer be putting Emmert's in my lube/sizers. In fact, I will be testing the Red Carnauba in the Schuetzen rifle this year. Even it may get replaced.

Dale53

klausg
03-23-2007, 12:36 PM
Mike-
I started out pan lubing, and still use that method rather extensively; I'm too cheap to buy another sizing die for my Lyman. Any lube that you could use in your luber/sizer will work for pan lubing. Personally, I'm still trying to use up all of the lube that came with my Lyman 450 when I bought it, (it looks to be at least 60's vintage by the packaging). When I need more I will probably go with Lars' White Label products as I have read nothing but good things about them on this site and the price is right. I don't think I'll ever get into making my own lube though the process seems simple enough, (read the sticky thread on Felix's lube). Hope this helps.

-Klaus

mike3132
03-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks guys for all the info.

44 woody,

I'm not sure which lube I'm going to use yet but will keep the offer in mind. thanks again to all who replied. mike

wiljen
03-24-2007, 07:53 AM
There was quite a thread awhile back on Johnson's Paste Wax as a dip lube too that you might look into as an easy lube. People were reporting pretty good success. I've used it on some 45s and it does work well and couldn't get much easier - buy it, heat it , dip bullets - let cool. You can find JPW in most grocery stores so might provide a quick way to get started too - I know when I get into something new waiting for molds, dies etc in the mail seems to take years. Local is good sometimes.

hunter64
03-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Here are some recipes to get you started, all these are good to pan lube and I have tried all of them on pistol with great results, rifles I stick to Red Carnuba and I am experimenting with some of the other ones below, if only the weather would cooperate.

50:50 lithium grease and beeswax (stinky)

1 lb paraffin
1/2 bottle STP
1 lb beeswax

5 lbs beeswax
1 TBLSP Ivory
1 TBLSP Jojoba
2 TBLSP natural orange oil
1 TBLSP Johnsons paste wax
1 TBLSP liquid lanolin

Blend by volume 4 parts beeswax, 1 part lithium auto grease, and 1 part Dexron ATF.

50 % Beeswax
50% Lee Liquid Alox

California Saeco Green (A soft lube, like NRA 50/50 Alox/Beewax)
2 lbs Beeswax
2 lbs Paraffin
1 lb STP Oil Treatment

75 % Beeswax
25 % Vaseline

1 part Beeswax
.75 parts petroleum jelly
.25 parts paraffin

5 parts Paraffin
2 parts Beeswax
2 parts Quaker State wheel bearing grease (Brand probably not important).

Barry Darr’s Lube Formula - A great lube for pan lubing bullets. See modified version below.
1 lb. Paraffin
1 lb. Vaseline
2 tbsp. STP Oil Treatment (may also use RCBS Case Lube #1

1 lb. Paraffin
1 lb. Vaseline

50% Beeswax
40% Crisco Shortening
10% Canola Oil

DonH
03-25-2007, 07:45 AM
The darr lube works well for pan lubing.

BAGTIC
04-02-2007, 11:15 PM
I am the originator of the Johnson's Paste Wax thread although at the time I was using the name Wagner95696. I have been using JPW for 15 years in handguns.

My technique has always been the same. I fill a quart jar, I use a mayonaisse jar, 1/3 to 1/2 full of bullets. In the summer I set them in the sun for 20-30 minutes. In the winter I place them near a heat register or under a light bulb until they are warm to the touch. I then drop in a generous spoonful of paste wax straight from the can and replace the jar lid.

I gently tumble the bullets by rocking the jar from end to end while rolling it. Normally 1-2 minutes is plenty for the heat from the bullets to melt the wax and coat the bullets. I do not dip anything individually, either at the base or on the nose. I then pour the bullets out onto a sheet of waxed paper to keep them clean while they dry.

Normally the next day the wax is hard and dry and the bullets okay to load.

I have never added anything to the wax. I never heat or melt the wax before applying. I depend on the heat of the bullets to melt the wax.

I have never had a problem with the wax flaking. I have some ammo from more than 10 years ago that does not show any flaking on the ogive so I have no reason to believe it is flaking off the shank of the bullet.

I have never used it for rifle bullets but have used it for pistol caliber revolver and carbine ammo at factory load velocities. All my home cast bullets are from straight HTWW. I load all bullets as cast (unsized). JPW has always left a clean shiny bore.

Although I can not prove it I suspect an important factor is JPWs success is using large diameter bullets and heat treating them. Most of my bullets measure BHN 22-26 on an LBT bullet tester. It is possible the get them harder by heating them hotter but then one runs the risks of the bullets slumping or being otherwise deformed by the heat.

I cast my bullets first and then heat treat them in a batch process in the oven. I have tried dropping directly from the mold into water but was not confortable as sometimes a bullet hangs up a bit or takes a little longer than normal to drop. I was always concerned about the potential for variation in hardness between a bullet dropped 2 seconds after cutting the sprue and one dropped 12 seconds after cutting the sprue. It might work fine with a casting machine but I, personally, am not that consistent.

I have read that a few people have had problems with JPW but I am also delighted that some others have reported good results.

BTW, in addition to Johnson's and Trewax brand paste wax there used to be one called Bruces. I remember them from my youth when the FHA required hardwood (oak) strip floors for FHA loans, even if a carpet was going on the floor. Waxing the floors was one of my household chores.