PDA

View Full Version : I got some odd lead...

kappy
03-04-2012, 11:35 PM
I've run out of boolits for my M39, so it is time to cast more. I ran out of lead on my last session, so I was running around trying to find some. I didn't want to pay what I saw on eBay, none of the local lead reclamation plants want to sell it, and we all know that the tire places won't give away wheel weights... nor will they sell them. So... a guy at my local range said he had lead for which he had no use. He only casts cannon balls, and the lead needed to be a bit harder, so... he gave me some.

The source? Apparently cancer patients get their meds in lead containers (since they're radioactive). The labels burn off, obviously. They come in various sizes. A nurse at a local hospital was giving them to her husband back in the 80s so that he could cast... I guess sinkers? He gave it to the guy at the range who then gave it to me.

Now... I checked and the radioactivity isn't an issue. Oddly enough, I have access to a guy with a PhD in nuclear physics... and don't think I don't abuse that relationship regularly. He said it isn't that kind of radioactivity, anyway.

So my real question is... does anyone have any idea what the lead content might be? They melted down into ingots just fine.

kappy
03-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Aaaaand now I realize that there is a whole section for this... if a mod could move it, I would appreciate it.

imashooter2
03-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Isotope containers. Nice clean alloy. More info here:

http://www.fellingfamily.net/isolead/index.html

DLCTEX
03-05-2012, 01:16 AM
Good stuff and makes great boolits. Get all you can.

kappy
03-05-2012, 01:27 AM
Thanks, Imashooter2! That was great info.

kappy
03-05-2012, 02:05 AM
OK... after reviewing the information, I'm really confused.

It looks like the BHN varies anywhere from 9.72 to 32.41. How the heck can I get a consistent cast out of that?

Of course, as I look at it, it seems that if he treats it consistently, he gets certain results.
My method, which is quenching and no heat treatment (my wife would FLIP if I did anything gun related with our oven), I could get a consistent BHN of around 22 or so?

runfiverun
03-05-2012, 03:13 PM
the bigger ones are really close to ww alloy with a titch more tin [usually 1/3/96]
the smaller ones run 2.5/2.5/95.
i would get every single one i could grab,and use some off the wall formula like 2 big ones and 2 little ones.

captaint
03-05-2012, 07:01 PM
I don't know where the BHN of 35 came from, but you're way more likely to be in the 10 range. That isotope lead is very good stuff for boolit castin. If you get too much, send me some...enjoy Mike

03-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Member by the name of Muddy Creek Sam was selling isotope lead, for quite a while. You may want to contact him about its properties.

DLCTEX
03-05-2012, 08:51 PM
You need to know the hardness of the large ones, then the hardness of the small ones to arrive at a blend approximating the desired number. If you get that worked out you can work up a large batch to have consistent results. Or just melt them all together to have a large supply that you can add amendments to to arrive at what you need.

kappy
04-02-2012, 01:22 AM
I tried the latter, DLCTEX. I smelted them a few weeks back and finally got around to casting them today. They look like good boolits thus far. We'll see how they shoot maybe by Thursday?