PDA

View Full Version : AAA Story in California

filric48
03-04-2012, 02:30 PM
AAA Story

Coming back from Clear Lake on highway 29 over the mountain pass a winding road, when I hit a pile of rocks that rolled onto the road, I called AAA the next day to report the accident I have 1000.00 deductible, so I took the HHR panel in to the body shop for an estament It came out to about 3500.00 two wheels, two tires, one control arm and a strut. AAA informed me that my rate was going to increase, AAA said it was a collision I said “what how can hitting a pile of rocks be a collision” she said that is just the way it is. I said “ I have been with you for 30 years and never a claim” then she said there would be a POINT added to my driving record, I told her that was the craziest thing I ever heard of…
I told her that I was going to contact the Commissioner of Insurance and to put a note on her computer.
I called the Commissioner and told him the story and he said “that is not right” He directed me to a web site to fill out a form and tell my story. I got a letter in about a month advising me the POINT was removed, a couple of days later I received a letter from AAA saying the point was removed. Now I’m thinking there is no justification for a rate increase, I called them and said “now there’s no reason to increase my rate” they said I will be receiving a Declaration in the mail stating they will refund a 159.00 for the year.
Stand up for your rights and don’t let these corporations push you around.

Hardcast416taylor
03-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Other than a suicidal deer that hit my truck I have not had an accident of any kind since 1972. AAA declared no fault to me with the deer and $1800 damage he did. My rates continued to climb every year despite my clean record for no tickets nor accidents. I finally called my agent and asked why this was happening. He replied he would check my availability for a new type rate structure and get back with me. An hour later he called and informed me I qualified for a 1/2 price policy reduction for having a clean record for so long. I have the same full coverage policy I had before on my 2 vechicles, but my premimum is now 1/2 half what I was paying.

Remember the old adage, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease".Robert

filric48
03-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Just got my new policy there are 5 vehicles on it and 4 drivers my wife and I a 23 and 28 year old full coverage on all except the Austin Healey it spends most the time in the garage I drive it about 500 miles a year. 3233.00 for the year. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

ElDorado
03-04-2012, 05:51 PM
I fired them as my insurance carrier after getting t-boned by another one of their customers. They wanted to declare my truck a total loss at about half of its value. While the truck sat in the lot at the auto repair for three months while we hashed it out, they kept sending me bills for full coverage. I thought it was just slow paperwork until they called me up to find out why I wasn't paying my premiums. I told the caller of the situation and asked her if AAA was acknowledging my claim. She said the claims and billing departments don't communicate. It's up to the customer to tell billing that the car is totaled.

I finally took the other driver to court and won. That was in 2000 and I'm still driving the truck.

Lee
03-04-2012, 06:44 PM
And just that kind of monkey-shines is why I told AAA to hit the road almost 40 years ago .....:twisted:

jcwit
03-04-2012, 07:21 PM
AAA thru Chicago Motor Club refused to insure me when I became Active Duty Military. At the time they had been the only company I ever had auto insurance with.

I dropped them like a hot potato and never went back.

fcvan
03-04-2012, 07:38 PM
I had AAA in California for decades. When they closed the local office in our tiny town it was inconvenient to say the least. I hadn't physically gone to DMV for ages because the office also did CA DMV.

I had a wreck thanks to a drunk driver who blew a .25 but could still touch his nose and stand on one foot. I informed AAA of the wreck but told them I would handle it because it was open and shut. All I wanted was my medical bills, lost wages, and my vehicle replaced as it was totalled. Let the games begin . . .

I contacted HIS insurance because he never did. He was in jail for a bit but certainly had time to make the call after he got out. I contacted them within 14 days, which was after the other driver had pled no contest. I also faxed copies of the police report and the minute order from the court showing his no contest plea.

HIS agency informed me it was my responsibility to take the vehicle to get estimates etc. I informed them the vehicle was in a towing yard and non-operational and they needed to send an adjuster. I was informed that they had yet to make a determination of fault and therefore were not assuming liability or responsibility. I pointed out to them the police report wherein he admitted fault, and the court's minute order indicating his plea and sentence.

After several months of zero communication from HIS insurance agency (plus physical therapy appointments 3 days a week) I called to inform them that no adjuster had looked at my vehicle which was still in the towing yard. I also advised that the towing yard charges $15 a day for storage. I was again informed it was MY responsibility to take the vehicle for estimates and that they had not made a determination of fault. I again advised them that their insured had already made a determination of fault in Superior Court, and as agents of the insured, they were obligated to accept the lawful finding of the court.

Flash forward to the end of the year following the accident. I wrote up the lawsuit, contacted my attorney, and asked if he wanted some free money. He looked at my documents and advised me his normal %30-35 fee would not be charged. He agreed to time and charges as I had already done all the work. The case was filed before the 365 day limit for civil cases within California.

They tried to say I was responsible for the towing yard storage fees as I had not 'acted promptly when I advised them of the claim.' I advised them as they were not my agency I had no obligation to them and countered that their insured person never even advised them of the accident as proscribed by law. They ended up settling directly with the towing company.

They tried to deduct salvage for my totalled vehicle from the settlement amount. I advised them that as they are not my agency I am under no obligation to surrender my personal property just because one of their customers devalued my property. They backed off on that one when they realized the section of the insurance code (which I copied and provided to them) only applied to persons with whom they have a contract.

They balked at my claim for lost wages stating I had not suffered loss as I had taken sick leave. Again I provided legal citations showing sick leave has monetary value and since I used leave I was therefore entitled to recompense. Since they ticked me off over that I charged them for additional lost wages showing that my physician released me to full duty with a limitation of 8 hours per day and 40 hours per week therefore precluding any overtime. 10 overtime shifts per month for the duration of recovery and physical therapy. Yes, I submitted for mileage to and from all medical visits.

Flash forward to the end. I won, they lost, but I made damn sure their attorney's fees were way more than what they settled for which was every dime I asked for and then some. The only break they got was on my attorney's fees which at %30-35 percent would have been significantly more than the $2200 I was charged. After all, I did all the work up to a point.

Had I reported this accident to AAA it would no doubt have been handled swiftly between the two companies like they normally do. I just didn't feel AAA should have to do the other company's job. I took it upon myself after they had the gall to claim they hadn't made a determination of fault after having been presented with court documents establishing that determination.

Oh, I did turn in one claim. I was on vacation in Southern California and someone backed into my car. I called AAA and advised them of the circumstances, and that I was on vacation. I offered to take photographs of the damage and submit 3 estimates from local shops, basically fulfilling the role of the adjuster. They accepted my report, my photos, and my estimates. The check was in the mailbox before I got home from my vacation. They didn't even reduce the damage claim for my deductable. THAT is the kind of service you can expect from AAA, first rate. Frank

filric48
03-04-2012, 07:55 PM
That was quite an ordeal glad it all worked out.