PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Bullet Concept

jandbn
03-04-2012, 02:24 AM
Not a boolit, but is an interesting concept as a compensator to reduce recoil. They are called Comp Bullets and the website is here: http://www.compbullet.com/prodottieng.html. I would imagine they are expensive and I wonder how a rotating bullet would handle releasing pressure while the ports are external of the barrel and the bullet base is still engaged in the rifling?
http://www.compbullet.com/images/45.jpg

stubshaft
03-04-2012, 02:52 AM
IIRC - There was a discussion about this boolit a couple of months ago.

jdgabbard
03-04-2012, 04:18 AM
Waste of money if you ask me. We have guys with cast lead nailing rams at 1000m on this board.

uscra112
03-04-2012, 05:22 AM
Somehow that looks like a solution looking for a problem. Nice application of a CNC screw machine, however.

ku4hx
03-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Snakeoil

GP100man
03-04-2012, 09:07 AM
Conversation peice !!!

Or a look what I have !!!

Breadman03
03-04-2012, 09:58 AM
That appears to be a tacticool method of extracting money from the pockets of mall ninjas, and not much more.

Freightman
03-04-2012, 10:14 AM
That appears to be a tacticool method of extracting money from the pockets of mall ninjas, and not much more.

YEP! and lots of it!

41 mag fan
03-04-2012, 10:31 AM
First it was whiffle balls....now whiffle bullets

Texantothecore
03-04-2012, 10:41 AM
Not supported by any physics that I can see. Just a slower bullet that will have less recoil.

captaint
03-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Whiffle bullets - now that's funny !!! I can assure you I won't be paying for any. Wonder what that mold would look like ?? enjoy Mike

rexherring
03-04-2012, 11:52 AM
How about making them whistle as they fly? Looks like they could.

Blammer
03-04-2012, 02:06 PM
jan, it's got a hollow base that leads to the extra holes in the sides.

I'd bet that the pressure may split it in half leaving the "donut" base in teh barrel while the nose flies out then you have a problem.

jandbn
03-04-2012, 02:10 PM
IIRC - There was a discussion about this boolit a couple of months ago.
I tried to Search before posting to see if it had been talked about, but didn't find anything with "compbullet". When I searched for "comp bullet", I think I crashed the server; too many hits for bullet.

I like the whiffle and whistle! :bigsmyl2:

Bwana
03-04-2012, 02:38 PM
I'll say it is intriguing. Most likely not practical and for sure not economical. It is an interesting concept that, like porting, appears to function best when used with high pressure and large gas loads. Such as used in race guns. I say this from looking at the pictures of the muzzle flashes. Many things come and most are not used for one reason or the other.
When I Googled it the first item linked to a website and the little blurb about the round stated that "some guns had fluted chambers to help lubricate the gun." I'm sorry; but, it is a little hard to take anything that whoever wrote that said with such a lack of knowledge on chamber fluting. Good for a chuckle though

thehouseproduct
03-04-2012, 05:32 PM
The strange design I have seen that intrest me is tubular bullets.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F00A14F83B5F1A738DDDAE0994D1405B 8385F0D3

Bwana
03-04-2012, 06:04 PM
The strange design I have seen that intrest me is tubular bullets.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F00A14F83B5F1A738DDDAE0994D1405B 8385F0D3

An article I read not too long ago showed that they are not as areodynamic as regular long range projectiles in rifles. Also, in case you didn't know, the tubular handgun rounds that were made by PMC labeled UltraMax are banned from production or commercial sale.

SquirrelHollow
03-05-2012, 02:59 AM
I doubt they'll be imported. The company is Italian, and...

The solid brass construction gets those projectiles classifed as "Armor Piercing" by the ATF. And, since most of them are designed for handguns, getting a 'sporting purposes' exemption would probably be pretty difficult.

BAGTIC
03-08-2012, 12:40 AM
I still have a box of the PMC bullets somewhere.

I know bronze handgun bullets were banned but I thought brass was one of the approved metals.

Bambeno
03-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Looks like a good way to sell more barrels. Imagine increased barrel erosion caused by the hot jets of propellent gases coming throu the bullet ports.

mdi
03-08-2012, 12:57 PM
I wonder if there were as many "nay sayers" around when the Mini Ball was introduced? "Them pointy balls will never work" "Prolly made to impress some General in Procurement".To me this is an interesting idea and I certainly won't so quickly pass judgement from one post on a forum.

375RUGER
03-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Comp Bullet patented system allows to reduce considerably the recoil bother......

Of course- the bullets are on the light side for the caliber.

BulletFactory
03-08-2012, 01:37 PM
How about making them whistle as they fly? Looks like they could.

Id buy a whistling bullet, just for fun.

SquirrelHollow
03-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Id buy a whistling bullet, just for fun.

Drill some holes in the ogive of a few bullets. If you hit the sweet spot, they whistle. Unless you get them balanced, they won't be accurate, though.

10x
03-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Snakeoil

Worse than that, mouse milk....

Silver Eagle
03-09-2012, 01:20 AM
How about a hole in the top connecting the holes in the side as opposed to a hole in the base? Would definitely make them whistle. Don't know what it would do for accuracy though.

Silver Eagle

Echo
03-09-2012, 01:52 AM
Probably about $2/bullet - a lot to spend for an exercise in separating shooters from their hard-earned bucks. I'll wait to see what Mike V. says about them.

excess650
03-09-2012, 08:15 AM
First of all the design can't help but let gas bleed out prior to exiting the muzzle. This increases the air cloumn being pushed out the muzzle. The holes themselves are too small to significantly reduce recoil during the exit. How do you keep powder in the cartridge is the bullet is a salt shaker lid?:popcorn:

Have you ever looked at a compensator as used on IPSC raceguns? There are several varieties, but all are dependent upon keeping the gas sealed behind the boolit until the majority of desired velocity is reached. The Schueman(sp?) Hybrid comp was a series of holes in the top of the barrel with the smallest towards the breech and largest towards the muzzle. With the gas directed UP, it kept the muzzle DOWN.

The expansion chamber variety used at least one expansion chamber so the gas could escape around the base of the boolit as it exited the rifling. The gas would follow the least path of resistance (out of the oversized port) while the base of the boolit basically blocked the baffle/end plate of the comp. There were different configurations with multiples of baffles and outlets up and or out to the sides, but the object was to use the gas pressure to do the work. As the gas hit the baffle it pushed the gun forward negating recoil. As it went up, it kept the muzzle down. Ideally, as much pressure as possible was bled off while the boolit was still blocking the comp exit so as to reduce rearward thrust from the remaining powder gas.

The posted design is pure BS.[smilie=p::takinWiz::groner:

Tonto
03-09-2012, 08:30 AM
I'll take a 4 cavity with two plain based, two gas checked. I've been waiting for this GB.

MBTcustom
03-09-2012, 11:45 AM
I dont understand how this is supposed to work, in spite of the crystal-clear description (ha ha).

Texantothecore
03-09-2012, 11:59 AM

Excellent economic analysis. The Pet Rock of ballistics.

Texantothecore
03-09-2012, 12:02 PM
I'll say it is intriguing. Most likely not practical and for sure not economical. It is an interesting concept that, like porting, appears to function best when used with high pressure and large gas loads. Such as used in race guns. I say this from looking at the pictures of the muzzle flashes. Many things come and most are not used for one reason or the other.
When I Googled it the first item linked to a website and the little blurb about the round stated that "some guns had fluted chambers to help lubricate the gun." I'm sorry; but, it is a little hard to take anything that whoever wrote that said with such a lack of knowledge on chamber fluting. Good for a chuckle though

I have not heard of chamber fluting. What is that and what is the point of fluting a chamber?

Texantothecore
03-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Looks like a good way to sell more barrels. Imagine increased barrel erosion caused by the hot jets of propellent gases coming throu the bullet ports.

Yep. Kiss your carefully maintained throats good bye. 5500 F right on the barrel for the whole length of the rifle or pistol.

mdi
03-09-2012, 12:31 PM
First of all the design can't help but let gas bleed out prior to exiting the muzzle. This increases the air cloumn being pushed out the muzzle. The holes themselves are too small to significantly reduce recoil during the exit. How do you keep powder in the cartridge is the bullet is a salt shaker lid?:popcorn:

Have you ever looked at a compensator as used on IPSC raceguns? There are several varieties, but all are dependent upon keeping the gas sealed behind the boolit until the majority of desired velocity is reached. The Schueman(sp?) Hybrid comp was a series of holes in the top of the barrel with the smallest towards the breech and largest towards the muzzle. With the gas directed UP, it kept the muzzle DOWN.

The expansion chamber variety used at least one expansion chamber so the gas could escape around the base of the boolit as it exited the rifling. The gas would follow the least path of resistance (out of the oversized port) while the base of the boolit basically blocked the baffle/end plate of the comp. There were different configurations with multiples of baffles and outlets up and or out to the sides, but the object was to use the gas pressure to do the work. As the gas hit the baffle it pushed the gun forward negating recoil. As it went up, it kept the muzzle down. Ideally, as much pressure as possible was bled off while the boolit was still blocking the comp exit so as to reduce rearward thrust from the remaining powder gas.

The posted design is pure BS.[smilie=p::takinWiz::groner:
I noticed the forward holes are behind the ogive/full diameter meeting. No more gas in front of the bullet than any other bullet design. Seems like "salt shaker effect" would depend entirely on bullet seating depth. With forward holes behind ogive, on full diameter of bullet side, any powder would be sealed as in regular ammo...

Jes my observations. I'm not defending the bullet, just being fair and not jumping on the "It'll Never Work" bandwagon...

Big brass ones
03-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Hmm.........ballistics, form factor, and density are all against this poor little pipe dream.

scb
03-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Yep. Kiss your carefully maintained throats good bye. 5500 F right on the barrel for the whole length of the rifle or pistol.

And without the holes there's no hot gas? Interesting.

HollowPoint
03-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Here's a rhetorical question:

How many here have actually tired these bullets?

I haven't either. Not likely I'd ever buy any but, if by some strange twist of fate
I were presented with some I think it would be interesting try.

You know what would be really funny? If these over-engineered bullets actually
lived up to their billing. There would be quite a few folks eating crow if they did.

Even if they did do what they're made to do, as a reloader I personally don't see any
need for them.

It's just seems peculiar to me how new ideas like this will generally get shot down
before they're ever actually shot, period.

HollowPoint

.22-10-45
03-09-2012, 08:51 PM
I thought of a whistling bullet too! S&W patented a hollow bullet with a movable piston in base. bulet had 'bleed holes"..like this one. cavity was filled with lube. They called it the self'lubricating boolit!

DLCTEX
03-09-2012, 11:15 PM
I cast some tubular boolits recently when I accidentally let the set screw for the hollowpointing pin get loose enough to slip the pin long enough to almost penetrate the base. Loaded some and the sound of the fired round was odd. I was only shooting at water jugs at about 7 yds. Straight WW didn't expand at all, which is no wonder as the bases had a hole all the way through so the water just jetted through.

SquirrelHollow
03-12-2012, 02:27 AM

What's the difference between hot gas getting to the barrel through the holes, or hot gas getting to the barrel after the base passes by?

If there's hot gas in your barrel, there's hot gas in your barrel.

RugerFan
03-12-2012, 02:55 AM
I wonder if there were as many "nay sayers" around when the Mini Ball was introduced? "Them pointy balls will never work" "Prolly made to impress some General in Procurement".To me this is an interesting idea and I certainly won't so quickly pass judgement from one post on a forum.

Here's a rhetorical question:

How many here have actually tired these bullets?

I haven't either. Not likely I'd ever buy any but, if by some strange twist of fate
I were presented with some I think it would be interesting try.

You know what would be really funny? If these over-engineered bullets actually
lived up to their billing. There would be quite a few folks eating crow if they did.

Even if they did do what they're made to do, as a reloader I personally don't see any
need for them.

It's just seems peculiar to me how new ideas like this will generally get shot down
before they're ever actually shot, period.

HollowPoint

I agree. Why so quick to judge? I applaud those who try to break new ground. It may not work as intended, but at least these folks are trying to break trail.

nanuk
03-12-2012, 04:29 AM
I remember reading about a tubular bullet, seated over a poly disk over powder card, for the 45/70

supposed to be VERY fast, and light recoil....

probably very expensive also

Adam10mm
03-14-2012, 12:33 PM
I have not heard of chamber fluting. What is that and what is the point of fluting a chamber?
H&K rifles and some pistols (P7) have fluted chambers. This aids in extraction but causes the case to swell into the flutes a bit. But H&K makes military weapons and they don't give a rip about case life.

Here's a pic of the fluted chamber on my H&K P7 PSP.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/DSCN2706.jpg

ghh3rd
03-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Would be nice if they made them whistle as they went downrange ;-)

SquirrelHollow
03-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Here's a nearly identical bullet design, with a patent filing in 1896. ...except this one was using the holes to "lubricate" the bore via a reservoir in the hollow base.

It's been done before. (http://www.google.com/patents?id=7tRkAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1#v=onepage&q&f=false)